Cancel the season?

Muirkirk boss says West of Scotland Football League should be back

Muirkirk manager Kevin Muirhead says the West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL) should be back in action alongside the returning Scottish leagues.

Last week’s announcement from the Scottish Government saw Scottish League One, Two and Women’s Premier League allowed to return to training and consequent league resumptions in the coming weeks.

However, those were the only leagues that were allowed to return as the WoSFL continues its now almost two-month ongoing suspension.

Speaking to the Chronicle, Muirhead said: “What difference does it make for a League Two club to come back and start training than it would for Muirkirk, Johnstone Burgh, Lugar to start training again.

“It is not as if they are full time professional clubs that remain in a bubble, they go to work the same as our players.

“To be honest, it has been frustrating for a long time in terms of the information coming from the Scottish Football Association being poor.

“Cancel football or restart football, it is time they made a decision. We are now into March and there is no way any league campaign is going to get finished in time now. “

Despite Muirhead’s concerns on completing the season, the WoSFL are sticking by their guns with their last statement in January reinforcing their aim to get the full season completed across all the leagues.

In that statement they also said their fall-back option, if they are unable to play all the remaining fixtures, would be getting to a stage where all the teams in each league will have played each other at least once.

Muirhead said: “I don’t see the point in coming back now, the only reason would be to try and get someone promoted out of the Premier Division, what is the point in the Conferences going?

“Everyone would be just going out of their way to help Clydebank, so it doesn’t make any sense.”

“The players haven’t trained now since before Christmas and by the time we got them up to speed, then started competitive football, it would be well into April.”

Source: https://www.cumnockchronicle.com/sport/19149094.muirkirk-boss-says-west-scotland-football-league-back/

I am a little confused by this article which starts off making a case for a much needed return to action and then says basically that it is somewhat pointless as a return will only benefit Clydebank.

Renfrew manager Colin Clark: 'It's time to pull the plug'

He told Gazette Sport: “I think it’s just a holding pattern we’re in just now.

“We all want football back but to the detriment of who? One life lost that has came from unnecessary contact is one too many.

“I don’t see the point in finishing the conferences. They are non-competitive, there’s nothing at stake apart from a trophy.

“There’s no justification for throwing them back and somebody then gives the virus to their granny or someone else. I just don’t think the risk is worth it.”

Additional info: 

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) confirmed talks have been taking place to determine whether or not the WoSFL should resume.

Rod Petrie, SFA president, said: “There remain significant numbers unable to return to play, including our amateur and grassroots clubs across both the male and female game.

“We are acutely aware of the desire within those levels of football to return to playing and will work with the Scottish Government to ensure they are able to as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Source: https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/19148934.renfrew-manager-colin-clark-its-time-pull-plug/

There is a very small benefit if the WoS Premier Champion get's promoted. It means one less team relegated from the WoS Premier the following year and provides an extra First Division and extra Second Division spot from the Conferences.

I think i'm getting that right 🤔

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Muirkirk boss says West of Scotland Football League should be back

Muirkirk manager Kevin Muirhead says the West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL) should be back in action alongside the returning Scottish leagues.
Last week’s announcement from the Scottish Government saw Scottish League One, Two and Women’s Premier League allowed to return to training and consequent league resumptions in the coming weeks.
However, those were the only leagues that were allowed to return as the WoSFL continues its now almost two-month ongoing suspension.
Speaking to the Chronicle, Muirhead said: “What difference does it make for a League Two club to come back and start training than it would for Muirkirk, Johnstone Burgh, Lugar to start training again.
“It is not as if they are full time professional clubs that remain in a bubble, they go to work the same as our players.
“To be honest, it has been frustrating for a long time in terms of the information coming from the Scottish Football Association being poor.
“Cancel football or restart football, it is time they made a decision. We are now into March and there is no way any league campaign is going to get finished in time now. “
Despite Muirhead’s concerns on completing the season, the WoSFL are sticking by their guns with their last statement in January reinforcing their aim to get the full season completed across all the leagues.
In that statement they also said their fall-back option, if they are unable to play all the remaining fixtures, would be getting to a stage where all the teams in each league will have played each other at least once.
Muirhead said: “I don’t see the point in coming back now, the only reason would be to try and get someone promoted out of the Premier Division, what is the point in the Conferences going?
“Everyone would be just going out of their way to help Clydebank, so it doesn’t make any sense.”
“The players haven’t trained now since before Christmas and by the time we got them up to speed, then started competitive football, it would be well into April.”
Source: https://www.cumnockchronicle.com/sport/19149094.muirkirk-boss-says-west-scotland-football-league-back/

I am a little confused by this article which starts off making a case for a much needed return to action and then says basically that it is somewhat pointless as a return will only benefit Clydebank.

It starts so well and ends very strangely. It’s also highly disrespectful towards other clubs competing.

12 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

I can understand the difficulty but would suggest the vast majority just want to wrap things up and delaying it another three weeks seems a bit of a side step in my own opinion. 

Have you consulted the majority?

Clubs at the beginning of the season knew this could happen, the league can’t just declare it null and void because some can’t be bothered.

they’ve provided a logical plan based on the current, very fluid, situation and minimal information

Edited by parkcircus

7 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

At the beginning of the season there was HOPE there could a complete season and there was HOPE there would be fans allowed. Now we KNOW the season won't be complete and we KNOW there won't be fans allowed.

There are still players  and coaches out there that would rather play football for the next 2-3 months having already spent as long as that idle.

37 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There are still players  and coaches out there that would rather play football for the next 2-3 months having already spent as long as that idle.

Yes and there are millions of people that don’t play or coach football that would like to get on with other things but can’t, for the vast majority of the WOSL this is no more than a hobby on a Saturday, my hobby is watching the football on a Saturday but I’m not going to be able to do that so let’s just wrap it up and start next season.

Edited by Ceejayar

48 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They could still play bounce/friendly games against local opposition to get up to speed for hopefully the start of next season 

As far as Conference A, B, C that is all they are, bounce/friendly games with clubs having to travel miles all over the West of Scotland to achieve it.

Just now, Lobby Dossar said:

They could still play bounce/friendly games against local opposition to get up to speed for hopefully the start of next season 

As far as Conference A, B, C that is all they are, bounce/friendly games with clubs having to travel miles all over the West of Scotland to achieve it.

So do the exact same thing, but make it more meaningless?

38 minutes ago, Shanner said:

death by a thousand cuts. just put everyone out of their misery and wrap it. 

What, and then the WOS gets to look silly if the Government gives the green light in a few weeks?

18 minutes ago, Ceejayar said:

Yes and there are millions of people that don’t play or coach football that would like to get on with other things but can’t, for the vast majority of the WOSL this is no more than a hobby on a Saturday, my hobby is watching the football on a Saturday but I’m not going to be able to do that so let’s just wrap it up and start next season.

So since you can't do your hobby of watching football, no one else is allowed to do their hobby of playing in the WOS? :rolleyes:

They've set a clear deadline and given everyone notice of what's happening. Holding on until April doesn't affect the start of next season. 

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

What, and then the WOS gets to look silly if the Government gives the green light in a few weeks?

So since you can't do your hobby of watching football, no one else is allowed to do their hobby of playing in the WOS? :rolleyes:

They've set a clear deadline and given everyone notice of what's happening. Holding on until April doesn't affect the start of next season. 

There are many other things that should be brought back to normal before the WOS starts again imo. Seeing family, visiting care homes, hospitals, going to funerals, weddings , business being allowed to open again to name a few but that’s just my opinion and you have yours.

4 hours ago, parkcircus said:

Have you consulted the majority?

Clubs at the beginning of the season knew this could happen, the league can’t just declare it null and void because some can’t be bothered.

they’ve provided a logical plan based on the current, very fluid, situation and minimal information

Have you? Obviously I don't know everyone but I have eyes and ears, other than those in with a shout of the title and play off spot like yourself and the hankies what's the point? Is there even any prize money this year?