Cancel the season?

Scottish Women’s Football Premier League 2, Highland League, Lowland League, East, West & South of Scotland Leagues, Scottish Junior FA Leagues and the North Caledonian League all remain under temporary suspension and their return to football activity will be reviewed in line with the Scottish Government’s road map out of the COVID-19 crisis.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6761029/scottish-lower-league-back-nicola-sturgeon-clubs-return-action/

Tuesday 2 March 2021

The Scottish FA welcomes news from the First Minister that Scottish Women’s Premier League 1 and SPFL League One and Two can return to football activity immediately.

The parameters under which that return is allowed follows discussions between the Scottish FA and representatives of each league and based on the current SPFL Premiership and Championship Joint Response Group Protocols, including a requirement to undertake PCR testing once per week.

Scottish Women’s Football Premier League 2, Highland League, Lowland League, East, West & South of Scotland Leagues, Scottish Junior FA Leagues and the North Caledonian League all remain under temporary suspension and their return to football activity will be reviewed in line with the Scottish Government’s road map out of the COVID-19 crisis.

We will continue to liaise with representatives of those leagues in the coming weeks to establish appropriate return to football protocols.

The Scottish Cup has also been given approval to resume, with all clubs in the competition given permission to participate subject to compliance with PCR testing requirements. Revised Scottish Cup fixture dates will be announced as soon as possible.

The SPFL and SWF will also update on the respective league fixture schedules in due course.

Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President: “We are pleased that the First Minister has again recognised the importance of football in Scotland. The decision to temporarily suspend parts of the professional game played by predominantly part-time teams was not an easy one to take. None the less, given the sharp rise in infection rates caused by new strains of the virus at the start of the year, it was the right thing to do to assist the national effort to reduce its prevalence during lockdown.

“The preparatory work undertaken with representatives of affected leagues and their commitment to the inclusion of weekly PCR testing, has given ministers the confidence to permit the return of SWPL 1 and SPFL League One and Two.

“While we are pleased to see the return of these leagues, there remain significant numbers unable to return to play, including the remaining levels of the professional pyramid, elite youth football, club youth football and our amateur and grassroots clubs across both the male and female game.

“We are acutely aware of the desire within those levels of football to return to playing football and we will continue to work with the Scottish Government to ensure they are able to as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Mairi Gougeon, Minister for Public Health and Sport: “We are aware of the importance of football, at all levels, to many people in Scotland and I’m happy that we have been able to work closely with the Scottish FA to allow the resumption of some further football activity – starting with SPFL Leagues 1 and 2, SWPL1 and clubs still in this season’s Scottish Cup.

“This could only happen alongside enhanced measures to keep everyone safe, including mandatory weekly COVID PCR tests for all players and staff.

“We continue to discuss with the Scottish FA and other stakeholders to ensure football at all levels can resume as soon as it is safe to do so.”

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hopefully this is remembered by fans of clubs shafted by the incompetent government in May. 

Some things in life are far more important than football.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Absolutely but there is no convincing evidence to see why there needs to have the game shut down at this time. Also lower leagues using lateral flow testing with incredibly well known issues about reliability. Footballers at Clyde are being tested before games but a part time footballer who is say a firefighter or police officer isnt required to test?lol. Theyre quite clearly fumbling their way through this despite every single indication being that its safe to start opening up. 
Clubs in particular in the wosl represent some of the most marginalised communities in Scotland who have been let down continually by the shite management of this pandemic by the government. Anyway, im happy to continue my criticism on the covid thread as I suppose thats the best place for it, but the idea that we couldnt have 100 people at meadowpark or holm park etc distanced safely is utterly laughable.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Absolutely but there is no convincing evidence to see why there needs to have the game shut down at this time. Also lower leagues using lateral flow testing with incredibly well known issues about reliability. Footballers at Clyde are being tested before games but a part time footballer who is say a firefighter or police officer isnt required to test?lol. Theyre quite clearly fumbling their way through this despite every single indication being that its safe to start opening up. 
Clubs in particular in the wosl represent some of the most marginalised communities in Scotland who have been let down continually by the shite management of this pandemic by the government. Anyway, im happy to continue my criticism on the covid thread as I suppose thats the best place for it, but the idea that we couldnt have 100 people at meadowpark or holm park etc distanced safely is utterly laughable.

I don't disagree with some of what you say, but when I come to put a tick in a box in May the last thing on my mind will be football.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I don't disagree with some of what you say, but when I come to put a tick in a box in May the last thing on my mind will be football.

No, im not suggesting base your vote solely on the lines of football, but its an indicator of just how badly they have managed this, how little they understand the communities they are supposed to serve (as seen by the absolute loading of regional lists by candidates with little or no life experience put in place solely because they were members of student political groups etc). For me its just one of many many reasons they wont get my vote.

1 hour ago, holmparkheroes said:

It did include HL but not LL which is same tier. Looks like we need some clarification. Don’t think fitba is the FM’s forté.

She deliberately said some HL clubs for the purpose of the Scottish cup.  The HL isn’t starting.  And only those HL clubs in the Scottish cup can train.  The LL wasn’t mentioned in that section as there’s no LL sides left in the Scottish cup.

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No, im not suggesting base your vote solely on the lines of football, but its an indicator of just how badly they have managed this, how little they understand the communities they are supposed to serve (as seen by the absolute loading of regional lists by candidates with little or no life experience put in place solely because they were members of student political groups etc). For me its just one of many many reasons they wont get my vote.

I don't think they have badly managed it. There are areas where I think they have been OTT at times and made mistakes and have introduced measures I have personally disagreed with, football being one.  Look around at the alternatives in May, nadir springs to mind.   However, waaay off topic.

There is no mention of lft being used by league one and two clubs. In fact it clearly states PCR tests.

3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
35 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There is no mention of lft being used by league one and two clubs. In fact it clearly states PCR tests.

Regardless of the testing used the point stands that its mad they feel the need to test footballers when they arent testing emergency service workers etc. 

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

34 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Regardless of the testing used the point stands that its mad they feel the need to test footballers when they arent testing emergency service workers etc. 

It's an interesting choice of words by Mairi Gougeon, Minister for Public Health and Sport:

“We are aware of the importance of football, at all levels, to many people in Scotland and I’m happy that we have been able to work closely with the Scottish FA to allow the resumption of some further football activity – starting with SPFL Leagues 1 and 2, SWPL1 and clubs still in this season’s Scottish Cup.

“This could only happen alongside enhanced measures to keep everyone safe, including mandatory weekly COVID PCR tests for all players and staff.

“We continue to discuss with the Scottish FA and other stakeholders to ensure football at all levels can resume as soon as it is safe to do so.”

In order to come up with any important policy statement, or changes, there has to be a routine "Risk Assessment". I don't doubt that preparing one here would have been difficult, given the responsibilities involved. However, where is it? Anybody know where to find these things on the SP web site?

I am curious as to how the link is made between organised outdoor activities ( not just football below the SPFL)  and new Covid variants. 

Is anyone aware of any such link which has been in the media? If not, maybe the SG is just playing safe based upon advice from their Advisers? If so, where is this Advice? Where can it be found on the SP web site. Any ideas? 

If the Risk Assessment and the Advisers words of advice are not available there is a real concern as to why that should be. Why the secrecy?

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

It's an interesting choice of words by Mairi Gougeon, Minister for Public Health and Sport:

“We are aware of the importance of football, at all levels, to many people in Scotland and I’m happy that we have been able to work closely with the Scottish FA to allow the resumption of some further football activity – starting with SPFL Leagues 1 and 2, SWPL1 and clubs still in this season’s Scottish Cup.

“We continue to discuss with the Scottish FA and other stakeholders to ensure football at all levels can resume as soon as it is safe to do so.”

In order to come up with any important policy statement, or changes, there has to be a routine "Risk Assessment". I don't doubt that preparing one here would have been difficult, given the responsibilities involved. However, where is it? Anybody know where to find these things on the SP web site?

I am curious as to how the link is made between organised outdoor activities ( not just football below the SPFL)  and new Covid variants. 

Is anyone aware of any such link which has been in the media? If not, maybe the SG is just playing safe based upon advice from their Advisers? If so, where is this Advice? Where can it be found on the SP web site. Any ideas? 

If the Risk Assessment and the Advisers words of advice are not available there is a real concern as to why that should be. Why the secrecy?

It's not a policy statement.

Very few sectors have specific guidance (construction and transport are some of the few that have) and risk assessments are varied across different sectors and what they take into account. Guidance from PHS I don’t know where or if it is published publicly but is provided to sectors where required and I would guess that is the case here. Football has the added bonus of having medical people who can provide further support that other sectors do not have access to.

Being honest I am surprised at the requirement for testing where other sectors are crying out for it and they are more critical services than football and don’t have the requirement. My personal opinion on this is that if football can’t restart without testing it shouldn’t restart.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Being locked up like animals while many like myself have to go to work then when we arent working go back to our cage is no life. 

Personally football is an escape for most. I know most people dont want to see it but the professionals eat together train in gyms together. Lower leagues are more couple of hrs training outside plus a game. 

I dont know about you but I know there is plenty of others who need an escape from this and football does that.