Cancel the season?

3 hours ago, Dev said:

Let's stick with what I said then:

"It's about organised outdoor activities being safe when the appropriate protocols are in place and being applied."

That's significantly different from "when the country were being told not to visit family members in other households, you and others felt it was ok to allow teams to travel across the region."

Yes, it is clear that there are many ways by which Covid may be transmitted but to equate what I described with what you say is not accurate.

If you under any doubts please refer back to the BBC article by David Shukman dated 16th January,2021. I'll repeat it below in a separate post.

The point remains that the SG made an initial decision to halt organized outdoor activities. That was understandable but not to revisit the decision would have been worse. They did revisit and agreed what they considered to be appropriate protocols with the SFA. Those should have been introduced earlier.

As I have stated previously the new variant Covid vuruses are another matter but that doesn't excuse the SG from its' previous mis-handling of organised otdoor activities.

Fella, it's all bluster.

Again, when the country is in lockdown, lower league football with no fans, promotion or relegation has no justification to be played. Absolutely none, regardless of protocols. The point about not being able to visit family is there to show how completely ridiculous it is to even consider that it would be acceptable.

Was interesting to see that when the National League North,South restarted at the weekend, many clubs refused to play due to costs, testing, etc and the turning of grants into loans. Think when everyone gets tested, jabbed, and things slowly reopen, then next season will have fans back - when folk feel safer. Hopefully the Clydebank/Darvel scenario doesn't happen.

4 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

I can see a scenario where Clydebank and Darvel have lawyers fight it out to see who gets a chance at the playoffs 

Bankies have a lawyer on the board though I doubt that he would be prepared to fight Darvel’s lawyer. Maybe arm wrestling- best of three 💪

18 hours ago, Shanner said:

So you found evidence and it says that you can catch covid outside but you are suggesting it says something else? 

This shite has been done to death and rehashing poorly constructed, factually weak arguments that have already been debunked by the same folk you're arguing with now isn't going to bring football back any faster. 

Guess there's no getting through to some folks on this for their political reasons - which is understandable.

15 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Fella, it's all bluster.

Again, when the country is in lockdown, lower league football with no fans, promotion or relegation has no justification to be played. Absolutely none, regardless of protocols. The point about not being able to visit family is there to show how completely ridiculous it is to even consider that it would be acceptable.

Guess there's no getting through to some folks on this for their political reasons - which is understandable.

18 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The SFA suspended football at our level, not the SG.

.... so are you thinking that the SFA could restart football at our level without the OK from the SG? As you will appreciate my view is that nothing like that could happen without the SG's nod.

Just now, Dev said:

.... so are you thinking that the SFA could restart football at our level without the OK from the SG? As you will appreciate my view is that nothing like that could happen without the SG's nod.

Unless it has changed, professional sport has an exemption from restrictions and I'm not aware it has been removed.

However, the SFA will probably be keeping it as squeeky clean as they can with the Euros coming up and the hope that fans can be allowed. I would be surprised if that isn't their priority over non-league re-starting.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Unless it has changed, professional sport has an exemption from restrictions and I'm not aware it has been removed.

However, the SFA will probably be keeping it as squeeky clean as they can with the Euros coming up and the hope that fans can be allowed. I would be surprised if that isn't their priority over non-league re-starting.

Which comes back to the point that a significant amount of clubs should not be considered 'professional', but were grouped as that. Jesus - Scourie  v Loch Ness is Professional? My flabby arse it is.

9 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Which comes back to the point that a significant amount of clubs should not be considered 'professional', but were grouped as that. Jesus - Scourie  v Loch Ness is Professional? My flabby arse it is.

Not really football's issue over how it is classed by SG, but I get your point.  Whilst we remain under lockdown or continued severe restrictions, there's no chance that I can see of non-testing football returning.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

You made an abortive attempt at mounting a fact-based defence of your view using facts that backed up the position you're arguing against.

You thought you were pulling off a debating equivalent of a Panenka but sadly it was against your own goalie. 

23 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The SFA suspended football at our level, not the SG.

My concerns relate to the Summer and Autumn before the covid variants really came into the picture. Now, with them, it's a different picture. However, the point remains the same it's the SG not the SFA which calls the shots and that is its' job. See below. However, there remains the issue of how it has dealt with the situation in Summer and Autumn.

www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/

Tuesday 9 February 2021
In recent weeks, the Scottish FA has engaged extensively with clubs and leagues affected by the suspension of professional football across the men’s and women’s game to discuss tailored return to playing plans for implementation when it is considered safe and appropriate to resume.

We have also remained in regular dialogue with Scottish Government to ensure their input into and ultimately approval of those proposed plans.

Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that - in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country - they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.

Whilst this is disappointing news, Scottish football will continue to play its part in assisting the Scottish Government’s efforts to reduce the prevalence of COVID-19 across the country.

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

My concerns relate to the Summer and Autumn before the covid variants really came into the picture. Now, with them, it's a different picture. However, the point remains the same it's the SG not the SFA which calls the shots and that is its' job. See below. However, there remains the issue of how it has dealt with the situation in Summer and Autumn.

www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/

Tuesday 9 February 2021
In recent weeks, the Scottish FA has engaged extensively with clubs and leagues affected by the suspension of professional football across the men’s and women’s game to discuss tailored return to playing plans for implementation when it is considered safe and appropriate to resume.

We have also remained in regular dialogue with Scottish Government to ensure their input into and ultimately approval of those proposed plans.

Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that - in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country - they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.

Whilst this is disappointing news, Scottish football will continue to play its part in assisting the Scottish Government’s efforts to reduce the prevalence of COVID-19 across the country.

And my point remains the same, the SFA suspended football voluntarily not the SG.   If the professional exemption has now been removed then that needs to be clarified, and I think this season is therefore done.

The statement released by Petrie on the 11th of January read as follows.......

"The Scottish FA Board met last night to discuss the escalating COVID-19 situation across the country and its impact on the national game at all levels.  While the updated Scottish Government guidance permits the continuation of professional sport, the board meeting, which followed a Joint Response Group discussion on the matter last Friday, nevertheless considered the implications of doing so at all tiers of the Scottish football professional pyramid, against a backdrop of increased positive cases across the country.  In particular, the board gave extensive consideration to making a decision in the interests of public health, taking cognisance of the government’s wish to reduce travel and possible contact with others whilst safeguarding commercial broadcasting contracts that sustain the professional game.  Following a meeting between the Scottish FA and the Minister for Public Health Sport and Wellbeing, both parties have agreed to impose a temporary suspension of all football beneath the Scottish Professional Football League Championship, encompassing all predominantly part-time tiers of the Scottish professional pyramid, from midnight tonight."

It looks pretty much like the SFA pulled the plug rather than the Government but the statement is [deliberately?] contradictory.  Prior to the release of that statement, all tiers of football considered 'professional' (which included teams that were both full time and part time down to level seven plus Juniors) were exempt from the general covid restrictions (provided they adhered to agreed protocols).  However, the following day the SFA clearly stated that.....

"The suspension will be under continuous review and any future decisions will be taken in line with Scottish Government restrictions."   

....... ergo, all tiers below level two no longer fall under the 'professional' exemption.  Indeed, today's statement by the SFA read....

"Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that – in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country – they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks."

I hope this post clarifies the current situation and it's certainly not intended to wind up folk on either side of the debate!  

Edited by Saints1921

Just now, The Ilford Drummer said:

With some teams having only played 4 or 5 games it is being extremely optomistic/ nieve to envisage the season being completed. 

Depends on the will of the clubs to make it happen. The only team that's played just 4 games is Newmains United, to get to 50% of games played in their Conference is another 4 games. The most a team with 5 games played to get to 50% would be a Premier Division side  which is 8 games.

I don't see the league calling it early. They've probably got until a May restart for competitive games to get it completed in some way without impacting 2021-22. That'd mean knowing by early April if they can play again this season.

51 minutes ago, football.fan said:

I’m hearing that football can only restart again this season unless clubs are testing their players. That’s the season over lads

The WoSFL IMG have not been told that, and we spoke to the Scottish FA chief executive as recently as last night.

On 07/02/2021 at 15:05, Andy groundhopper said:

All depends on what restrictions are relaxed, allow the shops, pubs and schools to reopen (where kids can transmit) then IF enough people are 💉 then I'd be hopeful of an August/Sept start with 200-300 crowds at non league level. Any news on when leagues are making decisions ?

Most of the clubs would need to drag 150 off the street to get near that.