Cancel the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55853839

Scottish Cup fixtures planned for 20 February will not go ahead, while Scotland's lower leagues and women's football will remain suspended until 14 February at the earliest.

The Scottish FA will review the situation on 10 February.

That will coincide with the Scottish government's review of its lockdown.

Levels below the Championship and in the Scottish Women's Premier League were suspended for three weeks initially on 11 January.

Leagues 1 & 2, the Highland and Lowland Leagues, the East, West and South of Scotland Leagues, Scottish Junior FA leagues and the North Caledonian League were all put into limbo.

Meanwhile, Scottish Cup ties between 12 January and 1 February were to be rescheduled, with 12 second-round ties still to be concluded following postponements.

SFA president Rod Petrie said: "A number of initiatives have been suggested which may help to make the eventual return to playing efficient without compromising safety.

"The decision to extend the suspension is necessary given the Scottish Government's own extension of existing lockdown measures. Football will play its part to support the collective effort to reduce the spread of the new variants of the COVID-19 virus."

20 minutes ago, Shanner said:

no wonder so many Bankies fans wanted to go senior.

They've nearly eclipsed their combined Junior achievements and they've only played  handful of games. 

The work we have done off the park this season is fairly significant also. That, to me anyway, is the major bonus coming from playing this year. Had we taken the season out, a fair bit of it may not have happened.

31 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The work we have done off the park this season is fairly significant also. That, to me anyway, is the major bonus coming from playing this year. Had we taken the season out, a fair bit of it may not have happened.

Fair doos. I often wonder what clubs have been doing in the background in this mental era we're living through. it wouldn't be advisable to treat it as time to focus on that man cave out the back as I'm sure it will be an especially cut-throat environment when we resume properly. 

Honestly can't wait to get back into it properly. 

32 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Admire those who gave it a go but stumbling ahead blindly is a gamble in my opinion not worth taking. 

Aye, it must be very frustrating but football has to be secondary in all this. Fair play to Kennie for having the fixtures prepared just in case but those who played should view it as a wee advantage over some teams for next season, especially in terms of fitness and plan for then. 

12 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Fair point, would be good to get even 50% of games played, if only to get some sort of 'final' tables. Looking ahead to next season, maybe starting earlier ? with fans definitely back through the turnstiles 👏

It has already been said Sept at earliest for supporters.

Edited by cmontheloknow

21 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It has already been said Sept at earliest for supporters.

That was for the top leagues in the SPFL.

Jason Leitch is also on record as saying fans returning are more likely to be at lower levels before the top leagues.

On 01/02/2021 at 08:41, The Ilford Drummer said:

Admire those who gave it a go but stumbling ahead blindly is a gamble in my opinion not worth taking. 

Ask any team, except maybe the ones who have been pumped a lot, but ask any team in the WOSFL who continued on and most will say they are so glad they did for many reasons.
Doesn't matter if the season finishes now or continues to the end of season, they are all still happy they played games.

I will add, the teams who have withdrawn are quite happy as well with not playing due to the uncertainly.
I'm hoping, personally, that we all get back next season, new start and everyone will be buzzing for the football and think it will be highly competitive right throughout all the divisions and leagues

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Ask any team, except maybe the ones who have been pumped a lot, but ask any team in the WOSFL who continued on and most will say they are so glad they did for many reasons.
Doesn't matter if the season finishes now or continues to the end of season, they are all still happy they played games.

It has certainly worked out well for Clydebank on and off the park. Being able to watch the games was a great bonus too.

11 hours ago, glensmad said:

That was for the top leagues in the SPFL.

Jason Leitch is also on record as saying fans returning are more likely to be at lower levels before the top leagues.

Leitchy boy likes the sound of his own voice and I tend to take his musings with a pinch of salt but hopefully he's on the money here.

18 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Youve got to think it makes sense to even pilot having 200 fans in a lower league ground, all home fans etc, can easily be done. 

Agree with you there but right now with 50 deaths a day, think its one of the furthest from their minds.
The death toll is going down per day but needs to be significant before football is allowed back and that's even afore considering fans to

27 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Agree with you there but right now with 50 deaths a day, think its one of the furthest from their minds.
The death toll is going down per day but needs to be significant before football is allowed back and that's even afore considering fans to

Dont think anyone is suggesting having a game on tomorrow or anything. But the scientific experts put the risk with outside events as fairly negligible, there were plenty things which were allowed to be relaxed which have a far bigger impact on transmission but didnt get a look in. 

7 hours ago, not man of the match said:

Did a bit of reading and it was suggested that we have an average of 176 deaths a day in Scotland in 2020 against 159 in previous years. Not really a big difference, as sad as death is for most of us.

Eh? they figures mean 6205 extra a year - big diffrence tae me. Beith has less people living there than that.

If clubs are happy to play, players are happy to play then start season again at start April and play everyone once. By april anyone over 50 shouldve been jagged so crowds might ven be let in.