Cancel the season?

On 22/01/2021 at 10:08, Lobby Dossar said:

The way thing are going if the 1st and 2nd division don’t finish like last season there ain’t going to be any play offs. 
As I’ve said before turkeys don’t vote for Xmas 

Lowland League is one team short, is it not?

4 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

You have to laugh at the Bankies fans wanting a tainted title when you remember the state of them when Talbot were awarded the title last season.

Find anything I said about last season which disagrees with my current stance.

1 hour ago, Yogi said:

So you’re admitting the title Talbot got last season was tainted?

Yes, that is the general feeling of most Talbot fans I have spoken to. Our manager feels the same way if you recall his interview at the time.It was won by P.P.G. or tainted as you describe it.We didn't want it won that way.

Now,I am not having a go at Clydebank, but some teams playing this season would love to win it.Simply because they may never get a better chance to get out of a league they could spend years in with a full compliment of teams playing.

Anyway, just my opinion. And with my team not playing, it matters not a jot to me who wins. Awe the best.

5 hours ago, Yogi said:

So you’re admitting the title Talbot got last season was tainted?

Sure was, and as somebody has already said, the club and the support have never acknowledged it. What amazes me is the abuse Talbot got on here from certain posters when we were awarded the title, but now it's okay to except a tainted title.

21 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

What amazes me is the abuse Talbot got on here from certain posters when we were awarded the title, but now it's okay to except a tainted title.

There are some obvious differences. When 2019-20 stopped there was a significant difference in number of games played between clubs. There was also the original decision to null and void the leagues and come up with a method to put forward a qualifier for the Scottish Cup. Only for the league decision to be reversed, as the SFA would only accept a league champion as a qualifier.

The WoSFL look like trying to get everyone to place each other once, so the eventual champions will have at least played the same opponents.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There are some obvious differences. When 2019-20 stopped there was a significant difference in number of games played between clubs. There was also the original decision to null and void the leagues and come up with a method to put forward a qualifier for the Scottish Cup. Only for the league decision to be reversed, as the SFA would only accept a league champion as a qualifier.

The WoSFL look like trying to get everyone to place each other once, so the eventual champions will have at least played the same opponents.

the bold bit seems like the best and most practical solution and hopefully can be managed .  it's still going to be way short of being a "true" win but in the grand scheme of things who cares. 

25 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

I would say there is zero chance of restarting the season , I spoke to someone high up at a league club who was saying they would have to test players for the next 6-8 weeks at a cost of 6k a week and no officials from away clubs would be allowed in , what’s the point ?

If by league club you mean SPFL, they have a different set of concerns. Their season is scheduled to run into early May and doesn't really allow for an extension due to contracts and the trickle down of their playoff system with Championship clubs still playing. That's why they're proposing testing to get back playing.

The WoSFL season was due to run into early June with the LL Play-off and SCC Cup final. With at most 8 games to play they can probably get away with a start in May as a worse case scenario. They'll also know by February if they have to worry about co-ordinating a rescheduling of the LL Play-off if there's the potential of a title challenger being licenced. Even without that there's still the title and a Scottish Cup place to go for. Having started the season, I imagine the players would want to finish it in some form.

On 24/01/2021 at 09:52, Blackie Gold said:

You have to laugh at the Bankies fans wanting a tainted title when you remember the state of them when Talbot were awarded the title last season.

I couldnt care less about Talbot winning last seasons league, I dislike how they went about what they did, but ultimately they had the best team and record so would likely have won the league. 
This season isnt a tainted league in the slightest, some teams decided to sit it out because their players wanted the full wage from their contract and other clubs didnt feel that they could fulfil the season, they decided to sit the season out, which if its the right decision for them then so be it. Good luck to them, but because a few clubs decided not to play doesnt take away from me that my club has a squad playing excellent football and the product on the park is fantastic and ive enjoyed the streamed coverage, if anything being able to watch the team online has made lockdown somewhat more bearable. 

The word "Tainted" is only likely to get people's backs up; it suggests some wrongdoing has taken place so it's clearly not the right word, but for me it's a diminished achievement and will always be remembered as such, kind of like the war-time titles with the asterisk next to them. 

if you're in it you clearly want to win it so those who played on deserve something for their effort, and just like last season I'd hate to see it not be awarded in favour of a null and void. 

On 24/01/2021 at 15:24, happy said:

Now,I am not having a go at Clydebank, but some teams playing this season would love to win it.Simply because they may never get a better chance to get out of a league they could spend years in with a full compliment of teams playing.

Whether its us or not ( if anyone ) then you'd be extremely self-righteous not to want to take advantage of some of the stronger teams not taking part.  Hard to say how much of an impact not playing for 18 months is going to have on the teams that pulled out. Id imagine its not exactly going to be helpful but the clubs will still be formidable. Having said that Glenafton will effectively be starting again so it could go any way with them I guess 

Maybe the best way in trying to finish the season is by playing everyone once - a pity for clubs having played  games so far. If people claim 'tainted' then so be it, but I guess every club would take the title/promotion in a season where it might be deemed 'easier'  .Let's hope we can get a season completed -  and who said the Euro's would definitely go ahead ?

On 26/01/2021 at 19:00, BANKIEBILL said:

Whether its us or not ( if anyone ) then you'd be extremely self-righteous not to want to take advantage of some of the stronger teams not taking part.  Hard to say how much of an impact not playing for 18 months is going to have on the teams that pulled out. Id imagine its not exactly going to be helpful but the clubs will still be formidable. Having said that Glenafton will effectively be starting again so it could go any way with them I guess 

Agreed, bankies would not get promoted in a 'normal' season.

1 hour ago, Foul throw said:

Agreed, bankies would not get promoted in a 'normal' season.

Not to begin with, but if this year was a normal season then Auchinleck would probably get promoted so in the following seasons it would become more likely. Especially as the likes of Cumnock, Irvine, Kilwinning, Clydebank, Darvel etc get the extra finance that comes from having an SFA licence.