Cancel the season?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It really isn't inexplicable if you apply logic to this issue. A tiny portion of the population is involved in professional sport and that tiny portion is following rigid protocols in that context and the conclusion has been that this does not create a significant issue on transmission. The argument from the SG would clearly be (not a fan of the Nicola Sturgeon nanny state approach personally) that having the entire population meeting freely outdoors with no rigid protocols being applied could cumulatively add up to something significant, because so many more people would be involved.

And therein lies the problem with your assessment. 

I could fill 2 pages with examples of breaches I've seen over the last few months from players turning up 4 to a car at training with no masks on to dressing rooms being used when they're not supposed to be to so called "Committee Men" watching a game huddled together with no masks. 

3 hours ago, Dev said:

In other words stop feeling sorry for the young who are being hurt but not being killed and maimed by the disease and its' consequences. Thankfully youngsters will recover from this severe interruption. More than that they are not being penalised in the sense that only some are affected so that those unaffected would gain a long term advantage. They're all in the same situation.

They're almost certainly being penalised in comparison with those just a few years older and a few years younger, and they'll soon be competing for jobs with them. There's a generation that will have their exam results viewed with suspicion and who will have learned considerably less over the course of their time in school. They will have missed out on all sorts of opportunities in comparison with others, from social things like freshers' week to work, travel and learning. Extra-curricular activities are stuffed right now, like school sports, debating/ public speaking, Scouts, music and drama performances. These things are fun, but they also develop a person - and they get kids into uni and into jobs, too. Tens of thousands of people in the UK work in music and theatre alone. There are going to be a lot of empty-looking CVs.

There are also unforeseeable long-term impacts - I've already noticed via my son that there are young people who are so starved of face-to-face interaction and with everything online that they are not relaxed in each others' company. Maybe it will settle down, maybe not.

They don't have it as bad as those at risk of health impacts, but behind them they are the group experiencing the most negative consequences. Certainly much worse than people like me.

21 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They're almost certainly being penalised in comparison with those just a few years older and a few years younger, and they'll soon be competing for jobs with them. There's a generation that will have their exam results viewed with suspicion and who will have learned considerably less over the course of their time in school. They will have missed out on all sorts of opportunities in comparison with others, from social things like freshers' week to work, travel and learning. Extra-curricular activities are stuffed right now, like school sports, debating/ public speaking, Scouts, music and drama performances. These things are fun, but they also develop a person - and they get kids into uni and into jobs, too. Tens of thousands of people in the UK work in music and theatre alone. There are going to be a lot of empty-looking CVs.

There are also unforeseeable long-term impacts - I've already noticed via my son that there are young people who are so starved of face-to-face interaction and with everything online that they are not relaxed in each others' company. Maybe it will settle down, maybe not.

They don't have it as bad as those at risk of health impacts, but behind them they are the group experiencing the most negative consequences. Certainly much worse than people like me.

Not sure how we ended up having a post like this on this part of the forum but it's absolute class. Well done sir.

Young people are understood by many with short memories. It's a terrible time for them just now.

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

That’s not only a rant but it’s also dragging up old news. This is nothing to do with junior football. It’s the WoSFL now. Away out for an hours exercise and calm down.

lolol, if there was anyone gonna moan with a reply and with no substance Jim, then guess who it would be.
There was valid points in the post and sometimes truth hurts. No rant there and certainly wasn't a moan, it was observations oh and sometimes I like to say (ffs) lolol

2 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lolol, if there was anyone gonna moan with a reply and with no substance Jim, then guess who it would be.
There was valid points in the post and sometimes truth hurts. No rant there and certainly wasn't a moan, it was observations oh and sometimes I like to say (ffs) lolol

You seem calmer at least.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Hey GordonS

I'm sorry but that's been going on for quite a few years in the youth even before Covid was thought of and definitely nothing to do with covid, not saying you said it was but its the way of the youth now.

I was out with my 20 year old son last January and he took me to a well known pub and every person, I mean every person, even the ones sitting together were, heads down, all on their phones. Mental, pure mental

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

58 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You seem calmer at least.

Unfortunately you comments to me, over the past year are the same and I'm totally chilled, neither up nor down as I deal with work which is online, so takes me seconds to post something on here either as a thought or as a reply which some people find as important issues, and some don't. Try and not reply to anyone in a bitchy way or condescending way and see how much genuine input you add to such important issues and yes usually or on average they are genuinely important issues that are being asked on here from many

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
spelling

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Absolutely no doubt there's a window of age groups that have been adversely affected by all of this. And it's largely young people who were just about to transition from school/college/uni to their next step during the pandemic. There'll be thousands of young people who left school/college/uni in 2020 and are struggling to get a job in this market. Once things return to normal, they'll be competing with those more experienced than them who've lost jobs and those younger than them who don't have enforced gaps on the CV. Not a good place to be in. 

I was one of the ones in a similar situation in 2008 and that felt pretty grim. Although I think 2020 is going to be much worse in the long term.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Not sure how we ended up having a post like this on this part of the forum but it's absolute class. Well done sir.

Young people are understood by many with short memories. It's a terrible time for them just now.

I tend to steer clear of the main Covid thread because it whenever I dip in it seems to be mostly driven by armchair experts, so it kinda spilled out here. On this board I'm also much more interested in the impacts on football than anything else. I'd really like to hear more about the impact on youth football in particular, because it can't be good.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I was one of the ones in a similar situation in 2008 and that felt pretty grim. Although I think 2020 is going to be much worse in the long term.

Well you timed your birth very poorly, that's all I'll say. 

What's happened to all the proper junior or non league supporters who used to frequent this forum oh i know chased away by the know it all's , now bar the odd exception full of the woke of all ages on a high horse telling everyone how things should be done. 

I was all about glasgow area today with my job,  guess what roads reasonably busy,  glasgow airport reasonably busy,  shopping reasonably busy,  footfall in city centre nowhere near as sparse as start of vast year , every shop i wanted to use open. Lockdown aye very good! 

People are slowly just going about everyday life as best they can no matter what,  it will all soon become a sham. 

BTW non league football is doing just fine and will continue to play out the current season get used to it. 

Edited by gaswork

What's happened to all the proper junior or non league supporters who used to frequent this forum oh i know chased away by the know it all's , now bar the odd exception full of the woke of all ages on a high horse telling everyone how things should be done. 
I was all about glasgow area today with my job,  guess what roads reasonably busy,  glasgow airport reasonably busy,  shopping reasonably busy,  footfall in city centre nowhere near as sparse as start of vast year , every shop i wanted to use open. Lockdown aye very good! 
People are slowly just going about everyday life as best they can no matter what,  it will all soon become a sham. 
BTW non league football is doing just fine and will continue to play out the current season get used to it. 

This guy sounds a lot like the nutcase behind The Away Section twitter account. He's also a Covidiot.

34 minutes ago, gaswork said:

Ha ha ha ur no the full shilling , guess what when I can see my mum , my daughters and my grandson then things will be getting back to normal and I might think we are getting on top of this bloody virus 

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It really isn't inexplicable if you apply logic to this issue. A tiny portion of the population is involved in professional sport and that tiny portion is following rigid protocols in that context and the conclusion has been that this does not create a significant issue on transmission. The argument from the SG would clearly be (not a fan of the Nicola Sturgeon nanny state approach personally) that having the entire population meeting freely outdoors with no rigid protocols being applied could cumulatively add up to something significant, because so many more people would be involved.

We have a variant that is more transmissible than ever, we're at the time of the year when the NHS would normally feel pressure and with Covid we have Ayrshire and Arran with 96% of it's covid hospital bed capacity taken and the probability of more to follow. 

Logic , to me, says that the small margins clearly count more than at any previous point in this pandemic and for that reason fitba - a hobby let's remember - should maybe be halted for a little while as part of the effort just like many other areas of life. 

In what planet is any of this accurate. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

You are right but they will not have died or be maimed for life. It's very tough and it is necessary to help and protect the young but we need to accept that for the immediate future there will be limits to what can be done.