Jump to content
19QOS19

The RuPaul Derby

Recommended Posts

I don't blame Faddy, why ask someone like him if he expects QP to win the league? Is he some kind of expert on lower league Scottish football? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't in the "we're a Championship side/favourites for this game" camp, but I think we were entitled to expect to make a game of it. That was a fucking shambles. Everyone could see we were being absolutely fisted in midfield. Resorted to just hoofing it at guys who can actually play football. I was willing to write off the League Cup games. I always just treat them as an extension of pre-season and we were nowhere near settled or fit. We did not have that excuse tonight. Nowhere near good enough. Wrong team, wrong tactics. The players don't escape criticism either. Queen of the South were more aggressive than us. I can accept being outplayed, but not being outfought.

It's time to get the head down, focus on the task in hand, and stop swinging our dicks around, telling people what we're going to achieve. We've not laid a glove on any of the teams from a higher level. We've no right to expect to turn up and beat them. Of course we don't. We should be giving them something to think about, though. Embarrassed by that performance and we'll quite rightly get the pish ripped out of us. If Mark Roberts' team had put that performance in I'd have been livid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, an86 said:

Wasn't in the "we're a Championship side/favourites for this game" camp, but I think we were entitled to expect to make a game of it. That was a fucking shambles. Everyone could see we were being absolutely fisted in midfield. Resorted to just hoofing it at guys who can actually play football. I was willing to write off the League Cup games. I always just treat them as an extension of pre-season and we were nowhere near settled or fit. We did not have that excuse tonight. Nowhere near good enough. Wrong team, wrong tactics. The players don't escape criticism either. Queen of the South were more aggressive than us. I can accept being outplayed, but not being outfought.

It's time to get the head down, focus on the task in hand, and stop swinging our dicks around, telling people what we're going to achieve. We've not laid a glove on any of the teams from a higher level. We've no right to expect to turn up and beat them. Of course we don't. We should be giving them something to think about, though. Embarrassed by that performance and we'll quite rightly get the pish ripped out of us. If Mark Roberts' team had put that performance in I'd have been livid.

Oh well, never mind.

7AB0B51F-D5CD-436C-97BF-7C07F9C823F2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure Fitzpatrick is getting enough credit for that finish. Tough to appreciate from many of the angles but it was very nicely done. Great cross too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a stroll for QoS. They were quite impressive and well organised, while QP were particularly poor. Spider67 sums up our performance well, and it's pretty obvious our midfield is set up for holding and not for linking up with forwards.

Hopefully this, and the unimpressive performance against Bluebell asks enough questions to correct things enough. Quite a lot of ill will for the 'project', and I think we need to prepare to be the next Clyde of the forum. Hopefully it finally stops others claiming we are a Championship quality side. Certainly a group of players assembled to get us to League 1. Jobbers maybe, if that's what it means. I do think we would need to strengthen if we get to League 1 and have aspirations of challenging.

All the best to QoS in the next round.

Edited by Velvet Donkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

To be fair, it is rather mystifying that Queen's have been given back-to-back televised games in their first two ties in the competition. The only logical conclusion is that Lord Haughey has given the BBC a financial incentive to provide coverage on his mercenaries.

For this round I think they were probably picked because Hampden was about the most likely stadium to have a game on in this weather. Then they've obviously decided to spin this ludicrous "plucky upstarts" narrative as a way of selling the game.

Edited by craigkillie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical McKinnon interview. Has to be prompted to even acknowledge that the other team might have performed to a reasonable level.  

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

For this round I think they were probably picked because Hampden was about the most likely stadium to have a game on in this weather. Then they've obviously decided to spin this ludicrous "plucky upstarts" narrative as a way of selling the game.

I think you are giving the beeb a bit too much credit there. Imo it is just a nice coincidence the game is on when others will be called off.

The cameras want to be there for cup upsets. Hence a decent Bonnyrigg side's game against a poor Dundee team (i know theyve picked up recently but were struggling when draw was made) is also on the telly. I reckon this game was picked on the hope that QP would cause somewhat of an upset (even if the commentary narrative msde QP out as favourites). They also get to follow the first season of 'the journey'.

All of this would be fine if they hadnt also been on the telly the round before.

Any idea if the teams get extra money for telly games or is that spread between the clubs?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



That was a stroll for QoS. They were quite impressive and well organised, while QP were particularly poor. Spider67 sums up our performance well, and it's pretty obvious our midfield is set up for holding and not for linking up with forwards.


feared the worst when I saw the team selection
Gillespie/Carroll midfield combo didn't work against Ed City and exposed again tonight
Slater injured again not even on the bench?
Hope a centre back with a bit of pace is on the Jan shopping list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

An astute observation. 

Aye, hedging his bets there ......  couldn't go wrong.😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

You'd almost think it was intended 

So that's a wooosh then! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I think you are giving the beeb a bit too much credit there. Imo it is just a nice coincidence the game is on when others will be called off.

The cameras want to be there for cup upsets. Hence a decent Bonnyrigg side's game against a poor Dundee team (i know theyve picked up recently but were struggling when draw was made) is also on the telly. I reckon this game was picked on the hope that QP would cause somewhat of an upset (even if the commentary narrative msde QP out as favourites). They also get to follow the first season of 'the journey'.

All of this would be fine if they hadnt also been on the telly the round before.

Any idea if the teams get extra money for telly games or is that spread between the clubs?

 

I was surprised to see we were on the telly two rounds in a row. However, I do think the weather was a part of it. Game guaranteed to be on and an easy broadcast, will be a lot of games off tomorrow (if not already).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were going on about how going full time and professional is a good thing for Queens Park because they lost Shankland, Robertson et al for nothing.  How many young players getting their break in the game were on show tonight? I don't admit to knowing much about QP but it always seemed to me they relied on blooding good youngsters. Now they're stuffed with over the hill jobbers getting one last pay check before obscurity, I don't think that's taking the club forward at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They were going on about how going full time and professional is a good thing for Queens Park because they lost Shankland, Robertson et al for nothing.  How many young players getting their break in the game were on show tonight? I don't admit to knowing much about QP but it always seemed to me they relied on blooding good youngsters. Now they're stuffed with over the hill jobbers getting one last pay check before obscurity, I don't think that's taking the club forward at all. 

None of the team tonight were brought through the QP youth set up. The only two who were at the club pre-Ray, were Davie Galt and 'keeper Willie Muir. We got rid of a number of young players in the summer and seemed to opt for experienced players who have played a level above (and had previously played under McKinnon!). My opinion, and I'm sure others think the same, is that I would have liked to have seen a mixture of the promising young players we already had with a mixture of really good 'marquee' type signings that would bring these players on. It would make our team a lot more likeable if nothing more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid, competent stuff from QOS tonight, and three decent goals.  That said QP didn't offer much resistance (Quitongo's magic aside), but I don't think we allowed them to.  The Inverness game is the one that will show whether we really are improving though or if its a false dawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleasing result, looks like we’ve found a settled system that gets the most out of our limited tools, and are now benefitting from the confidence a few wins bring. This is all we can ask for as fans so fair play to the management team, just a shame it’s taken so long. We are one win away from notching as many victories in 2021 as we managed in all of 2020.

No surprise that the BBC coverage was an embarrassing tinpot affair.

What an absolute joke of a man Ray McKinnon is.

Hopefully we can put the money we got from George Galloway’s sponsorship and FIVE season tickets towards an extended contract for Connor Shields. He’s bound to have drawn attention after that showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Hopefully we can put the money we got from George Galloway’s sponsorship and FIVE season tickets towards an extended contract for Connor Shields. He’s bound to have drawn attention after that showing.

Brilliant stuff Palmy. 👍

Been thinking the same though, get Shields signed up for next season as the vultures will be hovering this window - don't want to see him go for nowt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They were going on about how going full time and professional is a good thing for Queens Park because they lost Shankland, Robertson et al for nothing.  How many young players getting their break in the game were on show tonight? I don't admit to knowing much about QP but it always seemed to me they relied on blooding good youngsters. Now they're stuffed with over the hill jobbers getting one last pay check before obscurity, I don't think that's taking the club forward at all. 

Can see the argument about full-time, but remaining amateur was not an option. If we wanted to keep the level of youth system we have, we wouldn't be able to do it from the Lowland League. That would have been our inevitable destination with the pyramid in place and a shrinking pool of players to choose from.

There's a sort of misty eyed revisionism around the fact that we've always produced really good young players. The group around the time of Robertson, Shankland etc. was a particularly special one. The one around the time of Billy Stark was also strong. Beyond that? Not really. If you're good enough, you'll break into the team. We've had a habit of fans overrating players because they desperately want to see youth products succeeding and emulating those groups, which is understandable in a sense. Most of the system products who played for us last season are playing Lowland League. That probably tells you all you really need to know. Could have made an argument for keeping McGrory and possibly Magee, but neither are really getting a kick at their respective clubs either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Brilliant stuff Palmy. 👍

Been thinking the same though, get Shields signed up for next season as the vultures will be hovering this window - don't want to see him go for nowt.

Agree we should try to get Shields signed up. But the reality is, he is more likely to want to wait until the summer to see what his options are. If he doesn’t get offered a pre-contract before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...