The RuPaul Derby

19QOS19

You have to say fair play to Queen of the South, they were probably the worst team in the country this season, pound for pound, but they've been very impressive in recent weeks, from the win over Raith Rovers onward. I bought a stream for that match expecting to have a big laugh at their performance but they were organised and committed and deserved their victory. They looked good against Ayr United and they've been streets ahead of Queen's Park tonight, the second half especially.

This is nothing more than albeit poor championship side taking apart league 2 opponents.  Queen’s Park can sell the story as much as they like, but media attention doesn’t actually make you good at football.  They should manage to buy their way out of league 2 but they’ll need to make huge strides to do anything other than avoid relegation in league 1.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt playing at Hampden will be a once in a lifetime opportunity or whatever it was described as for Calvin McGrory, given that he literally played for Queen's Park before signing for Queens.

Knowing that involves either knowledge of the lower leagues or doing some actual research. Hardly BBC's strong points.

Edited by Jacky1990

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

This is nothing more than albeit poor championship side taking apart league 2 opponents.  Queen’s Park can sell the story as much as they like, but media attention doesn’t actually make you good at football.  They should manage to buy their way out of league 2 but they’ll need to make huge strides to do anything other than avoid relegation in league 1.

They're better than Dumbarton, Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar, despite being hamstrung by a "frustrated" dumpling of a manager.

Well our most comfortable game this season was against Queens Park in the League Cup. But they had players out and it was a meaningless game. With a full squad and a big tie I expected a tougher test. I never expected it to be an easier game than the first one [emoji38]

Queen's Park really are a diabolically poor full-time outfit. The uncertainty Covid brought about offered them a wonderful opportunity to build the core of a squad which could take them to and then establish them in the middle of the Championship, but it seems that Raymond's massive hard-on for certain players and reputation for being a complete and utter fraud has rendered that a pipe dream. The vast majority of this squad consists of players who've been granted a reprieve from part-time football only by Queen's abandonment of their entire history, and it shows in their hapless performances. Hopefully their next managerial appointment is as clown-car as this one, but I suspect the Lord might dig deeper into his pockets when Raymond gets the bullet.

QotS, on the other hand, looked a competent outfit there; fair play to them for turning around what looked like an utterly doomed situation just a few weeks ago. I fulsomely agree with the praise ofConnor Shields and in young Fitzpatrick you've a player with plenty of talent who will only get better the more he plays.