Dundee United v Saintees 9 January 2021

4 wins in 23 games is miles from good enough.

Need at least 16 points from the next 15 games.

Only 9 games left against the current bottom half.

Shankland’s goal is just ridiculously good. Sums up our season though that a slack pass inside United’s half is punished with that... I’m not sure United ever really got going in that second half as a major attacking threat beyond that flash of inspiration.

Entertaining game overall but again frustration that we’ve had by far the better of the chances and not come away with the win.

22 shots on goal away from home against a side in the top six. It felt like they were from far more dangerous areas than the similar tally against Accies the other day? Melamed is unlucky with the first time shot Siegrist saves but Tanser has to do better when May feeds him in.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Another game we should have won. Another game where we have missed a number of gilt edge chances. Another game where our goalkeeper has had nothing to do except pick the ball out of his net. 

That was better from us, better shape, better tempo, better strike force. Bring Kerr back into the defence and move Rooney to wingback and we’d have some attacking threat in that area. Put McCann back in the middle again and that’s our strongest team. Once again United have done little convince me they’re any good, but once again we can’t beat them. So I can say what I like, Mellon has them set up to exploit their lack of ability wonderfully. Fair play to him for that, something we could take a leaf out of the book!

23 shots (6 on target) to Dundee United's 6 shots (2 on target).

Story of our season really - we didn't take our chances and Dundee United took theirs (albeit no one else on the park could've scored that second goal). 

We really need points on the board. There's a good chance we'll be in the play off position later this week and the season is clearly in danger of being stopped with the new restrictions coming into place tomorrow and with Celtic being arse holes.

Kane and Melamed should now get a run together up front. They were both excellent and compliment each other. Spoony is clearly the best of the attacking midfield/winger options so let those three form a relationship together. I think Tanser has to play ahead of Booth when fit too, another one who's handicapped by the system.

Pretty enjoyable if frustrating way to spend 2 hours skiving off work, but we really need to start winning at some point. Starting with St Mirren this weekend pls

Good performances from McCart, Craig, Melamed, Kane and most of all Wotherspoon who tormented United pretty much every time he got on the ball, unlucky not to get a few more assists. I like that he was less predisposed to just shoot from anywhere and he created a fair few good openings as a result.

Everyone else was alright, I suppose. Rooney was the weakest CB, McCann isn’t a full back, and the midfield two could have used another energetic man in there who’s good on the ball. I feel like the solution to those three problems might be linked somehow...

One thing about Melamed is that he  certainly puts himself about.
Certainly does. Given his size and frame he did well against bigger centre halves.

Another game we really should have won. A moment of absolute magic from Shankland and chances (again) missed. Doubt Zander made a save the whole game.

Some of fans will scoff but thought we were really good in places particularly second half. Looked more comfortable defensively second half too. Melamed's touch is a joy to behold. Craig and Davidson were well on top as well.

We should have won that. I'm not sure Utd had a chance in that second half, whereas we had 4 or 5 really good ones.

After falling behind, we came back into the game well and our defence looked fairly comfortable against Utd's front line.

That was about the best front line performance from Saints we've seen all season; thought Kane, Melamed and Spoony looked great and caused havoc all second half.

A wonder goal out of nowhere takes a lot of shine off a good performance, but I'm quite positive overall as my biggest fears have been from where our goals would be coming from, and I thought we looked dangerous tonight.

One thing Davidson needs to do is make changes during a game which affect it positively for us.  We seem to lose all shape and method whenever we make changes, when they should be putting us on the front foot.  Think Rooney to right back and McCann driving us forward from the centre of the park for the last 10 minutes might have made all the difference.

Absolute shitebag of an effort at goal from Tanser I'm afraid.

Shankland's wonder goal aside, that was a pretty insipid second half from us. Once McNulty came on we almost completely resorted to long punts in his general direction.

Bolton was just a waste of a sub.

Another big save from Benji not long after we equalised though.

2 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

Saint Jonstone should have won that. If only they were better at both scoring and defending. It's a wonder they're 9th in the league.

Mainly because that defending and questionable finishing has been pretty much a constant all season. 

We also played much better than we have recently overall as well though.

Disappointing united performance so have to be pleased to take a point.

We started well and it was a good move for the goal but we are so weak at defending set pieces it was no surprise to see us quickly concede a header from a corner.  Then some awful defending from young Neilson and suddenly we’re behind. At half time I’d have taken a draw but would have expected that to have required a much improved performance from us, which never happened.  Would have had mcnulty on much earlier and would also have brought Sporle on for Clark.

St Johnstone were decent at times and created quite a lot of good chances, I know Kane gets a bit of slagging from saints fans but I thought he was their best player - absolutely skinned Connolly with a nice piece of skill on the touchline.

End of the day it’s another point we’ve taken when we’ve gone in behind at the break and in years to come the only thing anyone will remember from the 90 minutes was the 20/21 spfl goal of the season from Sir Lawrence.

Edited by Loemba90

We've missed so many chances this season & hardly scored but 4 teams have scored less than us.

We did score 25%ish of our goals in 1 game TBF.

Saint Jonstone should have won that. If only they were better at both scoring and defending. It's a wonder they're 9th in the league.