Dundee United v Saintees 9 January 2021

22 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Could they have not gone across the road to the all weather pitch / dressing rooms for a light session / rest?

Doubt it. 

It's all very strict with stadiums set out in zones etc that only certain people allowed in certain areas. If those buildings not setup appropriately they'd probably be breaching the "protocols" by entering them. 

Why should St Johnstone hang about on the off chance the pitch becomes playable? 

As Random says, if United are willing to say "hold off an hour, we might get it on" they at the very least should have followed that up with "or would you be interested in rearranging for tomorrow?" 

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

So really whats happened is the pitch was (unsurprisingly) frozen because it was baltic for days and the under soil heating hasn't managed to thaw it out. United have said it should be fine in an hour or two so we can kick off then.

Saints have said no and they want to investigate?

What do they want to investigate? 

Why were united players training on the pitch on the Friday evening? Had used Forfar the previous evening.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Why should St Johnstone hang about on the off chance the pitch becomes playable? 

As Random says, if United are willing to say "hold off an hour, we might get it on" they at the very least should have followed that up with "or would you be interested in rearranging for tomorrow?" 

It was just a question. 

im not an expert on Covid protocols and zoning issues. 

Edited by PartyFears2

I hope the rescheduled game on Tuesday is half as entertaining as this thread.

Given the animosity this thread has generated, the game would be getting played behind closed doors irrespective of the virus.

Boca/River plate fans would be showing each other clips on YouTube of what a real atmosphere was.

At the end of the day the pitch failed two inspections. The issue is United have admitted not putting the USH on until Saturday AM ( pitch was frozen solid on the Friday )
They suggested to play at 4pm or 5pn but was still no guarantee the pitch would be ready.
Had saints agreed, due to covid protocols they would have had to sit in changing room/area in stadium allocated to them until allocated time to go warm up.
Not ideal preparations and understanding why saints refused the offer.

Whilst i become pissed off with "anything /anyone who uses the Covid 19 as an excuse  when something goes wrong is late etc. It is often easy for  someone  to offer a solution to remedy such mistake when you already know it can not be done under certain rules and regulations.

30 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

So really whats happened is the pitch was (unsurprisingly) frozen because it was baltic for days and the under soil heating hasn't managed to thaw it out. United have said it should be fine in an hour or two so we can kick off then.

Saints have said no and they want to investigate?

What do they want to investigate? Why its cold in January? 

Why under soil heating alone can struggle to melt days worth of ice and snow?

Think us offering to delay kick off shows we tried to work around the problem as best as we could.

Have Saints spat the dummy?

Running scared?

I don't know but with all the evidence we have at the moment, they look a bit silly.

What's happened is United haven't attempted to defrost the pitch until matchday, and not told anybody until a refs turned up at half 12 and inspected it.

Saints have arrived, gone through all the covid shite to get into the ground, only to be told the games off "but if you hang around for an hour or two, it might be fine to play on", and decided it's better to just f**k off home and go again another day.

Quite why United couldn't ask for a later kick off on Friday night/first thing Saturday, like Livingston did this weekend, to help them thaw the pitch out, I've no idea.

The issue is not that the pitch was frozen. The issue was United not telling anyone it was frozen so things could be rearranged before everyone went through the protocols. I'd be surprised if the SPFL don't fine you as it was clearly wasn't going to be ready for 3 and you've dragged their officials into it too.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

Why were united players training on the pitch on the Friday evening? Had used Forfar the previous evening.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

At the end of the day the pitch failed two inspections. The issue is United have admitted not putting the USH on until Saturday AM ( pitch was frozen solid on the Friday )
They suggested to play at 4pm or 5pn but was still no guarantee the pitch would be ready.
Had saints agreed, due to covid protocols they would have had to sit in changing room/area in stadium allocated to them until allocated time to go warm up.
Not ideal preparations and understanding why saints refused the offer.

Hmm. So was it frozen or not?

And

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's happened is United haven't attempted to defrost the pitch until matchday, and not told anybody until a refs turned up at half 12 and inspected it.

Saints have arrived, gone through all the covid shite to get into the ground, only to be told the games off "but if you hang around for an hour or two, it might be fine to play on", and decided it's better to just f**k off home and go again another day.

Quite why United couldn't ask for a later kick off on Friday night/first thing Saturday, like Livingston did this weekend, to help them thaw the pitch out, I've no idea.

The issue is not that the pitch was frozen. The issue was United not telling anyone it was frozen so things could be rearranged before everyone went through the protocols. I'd be surprised if the SPFL don't fine you as it was clearly wasn't going to be ready for 3 and you've dragged their officials into it too.

We had a problem, offered you a solution. You said no, f**k off,  which you are within your rights to. I'm not debating that point.

Why an investigation needs to happen is beyond me. Its either been an admin mistake or the USH hasnt gotten up to temperature.  Saints could well have waited an hour then fucked off but they didn't. So did you not want to play the game?

And if we are fined for having a frozen pitch in January after the weather through the week then I think we need to shut the doors on Scottish football.

I mean, honestly, who gives a f**k? 

We have something to do on Tuesday night now. That can’t be a bad thing. Plus we’ll probably get to see the brain fart Davidson had to get round the fact he’s forgotten he’s allowed to change the formation of the team. 

7 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Why an investigation needs to happen is beyond me.

To find out why United didn't put the USH on before the matchday when the pitch wasn't playable, I'd assume, as Im fairly sure that's against league rules.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To find out why United didn't put the USH on before the matchday when the pitch wasn't playable, I'd assume, as Im fairly sure that's against league rules.

In that case any game cancelled by frozen pitch merits an enquiry?

OK. Good luck with that.

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

In that case any game cancelled by frozen pitch merits an enquiry?

OK. Good luck with that.

I'm sure they all do, automatically, get investigated aye.

Most of the time the weather is the weather and you never hear any more about it. Sometimes the club is clearly at fault and they get fined.

Dundee United will likely get fined if they have admitted to not having USH on before Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Cosgrove on Radio Scotland earlier said the reason some Saintees are angry about this is because about 10 years ago the Saintees were fined when a game v Rangers (1872) was posponed because of a fault with the USH.

Sounds about right. Petty little cunts.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure they all do, automatically, get investigated aye.

Most of the time the weather is the weather and you never hear any more about it. Sometimes the club is clearly at fault and they get fined.

Dundee United will likely get fined if they have admitted to not having USH on before Saturday.

I take it there's a recommended time to have the USH on from then?

If not, all we need to say im guessing is "We trained on it Friday and it was fine. Sharp frost and -7C overnight caught us out, your honour."

If we're fined for that then everyone is in trouble.

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sounds about right. Petty little cunts.

Its bitter wee team behaviour imo.