Dundee United v Saintees 9 January 2021

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

Nobody knows the answer to this question. Not even Callum Davidson.

Last week, he said that he doesn't trust Melamed enough to give him a start due to the lack of reserve games. Yesterday, he described him as 'brilliant' and says he's going to try and fit him into his plans at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Interesting and a point I made earlier about one of our players, Kristian Dennis.

Players currently are completely hamstrung if fitness or injury is an issue. No reserve games means that you are taking that much longer to get up to speed. I know footballers say that there's no substitute for first team football as reserve football is not played at the pace and intensity of first team games but 90 minutes in a game for the reserves is definitely better than the no minutes at all that fringe players are finding themselves playing.

Our manager took a lot of stick at the start of the season from our fans for rotating so wildly on a weekly basis but in lieu of reserve games, I can just about understand his logic. The downside to that though was nowhere near a settled team as he was just giving players minutes for the sake of it.

But if you have a guy in your squad who is genuinely talented, then surely he's worth persevering with for 2 or 3 games to let him get up to speed. It's not as if he's displacing anyone who is turning in amazing performances in his position.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

But if you have a guy in your squad who is genuinely talented, then surely he's worth persevering with for 2 or 3 games to let him get up to speed. It's not as if he's displacing anyone who is turning in amazing performances in his position.

This is what's frustrating a lot of us at the moment. Callum said that our 'position in the league' is another reason against it. For me, our position in the league is exactly why we should be throwing him in. We can't score goals. It has been an issue all season. Given our current situation, how would it be a risk to give him a shot? It strikes me as being a bit spineless. Hopefully this is just a temporary case of early anxiety from a first-time manager, but he needs to learn from this quickly. Unfortunately, he'll end up looking like a bit of a fool if he gives Melamed a start and he does well now (which I don't think is a totally unlikely scenario based on what we've seen from his brief cameo appearances).

The xG geeks must get on Saints every week and drive the price down. 

Was looking at the excellent Arab Archive website and checked out our 3-1 win in the First Division in 1996. One thing that struck me though was that John O'Neil, Roddy Grant and Jim Weir (and no United players) were all booked on 78 minutes. Does anyone remember this incident? 

45 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Do Dundee Utd have players out for this? Their price is massive today

Pile on them.

United are 11/2 to win without us scoring FFS 😂 someone's fucked up somewhere at their side surely.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

If it’s postponed they should try again tomorrow. Warmer overnight and shouldn’t be frosty.

Aye but that won’t suit United’s diddy agenda!

Edited by Widge

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If they haven't switched their USH heating on then surely there's no chance this game goes ahead?

Even if they have, it would be difficult to get it on I'd reckon. It's been -5 all night, the ground has been frozen solid for a week and lay unprotected. Maybe @Arch Stanton could let us know the time frames for soil heating through. 

Dodgy stuff from United. Covid issues and injuries and USH not turned on. 3 nil win for saints....

Covid issues?

Given the build up to this game by the club and the Jim McLean tribute, they will take a hammering from the fans if it is postponed.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Even if they have, it would be difficult to get it on I'd reckon. It's been -5 all night, the ground has been frozen solid for a week and lay unprotected. Maybe @Arch Stanton could let us know the time frames for soil heating through. 

Why leave it unprotected though?

Not that I know the first thing about looking after grass etc though 😂