Dundee United v Saintees 9 January 2021

22 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Surprised there hasn't been anyone here objecting to "Saintees" yet

On a nice cold day like this the saintees will be out on the fields in their tractors.

Nothing against the wee saints, theyve done well in recent times. 

Though did i read about the tax man bearing down on them the other day? A lean jan for whoever the manager is now?

The supporters seem to get a bit upset though. Cant decide if its a case of wee man syndrome or just a bad harvest this year.

Anyway i can see it being a draw. Conway for them, mcnulty for us

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

Despite a good point and decent 2nd half against Aberdeen I’m hoping we go back to 4-4-2 for this game as we have in the last couple of home games. A few injuries to deal with restricting possible starting lineup, centre midfield being down to the bare bones (although not quite Adam King levels).

Benji

Smith Connolly Reynolds Robson

McMullan Powers Harkes Bolton

Shankland Aperre

Wouldn’t be against Sporle starting on the left in place of either Bolton or McMullan as they are all much the muchness but Bolton has had a hand in a couple of goals recently and maybe a bit harsh leaving Clark out but felt Aperre got better as game went on yesterday and deserves another chance. Team assumes Fuchs, Butcher & McNulty all out injured. 

Guess we'll continue with the 5-2-3, McNamara out so who knows what we'll do with the RWB slot. Hopefully Kerr has returned from Covid or it'll be MOH, although he can't be any worse there than he was as a winger v County.

36 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Despite a good point and decent 2nd half against Aberdeen I’m hoping we go back to 4-4-2 for this game as we have in the last couple of home games. A few injuries to deal with restricting possible starting lineup, centre midfield being down to the bare bones (although not quite Adam King levels).

Benji

Smith Connolly Reynolds Robson

McMullan Powers Harkes Bolton

Shankland Aperre

Wouldn’t be against Sporle starting on the left in place of either Bolton or McMullan as they are all much the muchness but Bolton has had a hand in a couple of goals recently and maybe a bit harsh leaving Clark out but felt Aperre got better as game went on yesterday and deserves another chance. Team assumes Fuchs, Butcher & McNulty all out injured. 

I’d agree with 10 of that 11 but not sure that Appere has a bigger claim than our top goal scorer.  

20 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It's a sad indictment of how our season has gone when fans of yo yo clubs like Hibs, Dundee United, st mirrins and ross county are lining up to have a pop.  

At your current trajectory, you'll find out what that's like soon enough.

As for the game itself, we never beat St Johnstone no matter how crap they are, and I don't expect that to change on Saturday even though we were actually quite good against Aberdeen, especially in the second half. 1-1 draw I think.

Assuming the game does go ahead...

There couldn't be a better time to start picking up a bit of form - which would be helped massively if we can possibly find a way to score some goals.

Three wins on the bounce against United, St Mirren and then Hibs in the cup would put a completely different spin on our season so far. We'd likely be up to seventh and into a final where we'd play another mid table Premiership team. Fail to win any of them and we're in deep bother and will have wasted an opportunity to get to a major - and maybe even win it.

What we change I'm not sure - but I'd like to see more protection for the defence from the midfield at the very least. A more standard 3-5-2 with someone sitting right at the base of the midfield might help. I'm also sure plenty others will advocate something more like a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or something - which I can get on board with but I doubt that'll be forthcoming.

May has to start - has to. Kane probably has to drop on to the bench. Wotherspoon also has to be in the starting XI. We need to find some way to allow McCann to push forward as much as possible. Ultimately we need to take the chances that we have. We'll almost certainly give up something comical in front of goal and you have to fancy United to take one of them given the strikers at their disposal - but we just have to get better at putting our own chances away.

Clark 

Rooney     Gordon      McCart    Booth 

Craig         Davidson 

McCann 

MOH                    May           Wotherspoon 

Davidson and Ali can interchange when Muzz breaks forward.

Clark

Rooney Kerr McCart

MOH Booth

McCann Muzz

Wotherspoon

Hendry (if available) May

Increasingly think our issue is that the wingbacks have been too defense minded - we don’t really need them to be so with 3 center backs behind them. MOH on one side partially solves the issue, can’t really do much else on the left right now. Kerr in the middle can actually control and pass a football, and can step in as a holding midfielder when we are in possession. May with more license to roam while Hendry is told to stay in the box and position himself for crosses.

Yes I wouldn't mind MOH at wing back for the reasons you say.  Had about his best game this season there at Motherwell in the cup.  Maybe suits him better with the space in front to drive into, instead of starting near to the opposing full back where he's quite easy to mark.

If Utd have any quality out wide then it would be a worry...

Yes I wouldn't mind MOH at wing back for the reasons you say.  Had about his best game this season there at Motherwell in the cup.  Maybe suits him better with the space in front to drive into, instead of starting near to the opposing full back where he's quite easy to mark.
If Utd have any quality out wide then it would be a worry...

Agree, especially on the last point... would need a very good, disciplined performance from Rooney to essentially step in as a defensive full back if O’Halloran loses the ball high up the pitch - which would be quite a common occurrence I’d imagine. Been impressed with how Rooney has thrown himself into whatever role he’s been asked to play if not his overall technical quality so maybe it would work?