Chess

I often forget about a bishop fianchetto, sits there in the corner for ages doing nothing, then BANG, it comes into play and kick you in the nuts.

Not just at beginner level, that happened to Radjabov in the final against Aronian the other day (obviously he was well aware of it, but the centre cleared up after a barrage of exchanges and he needed some clever play to get the draw).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Would there be much appetite in starting a P&B league?

Happy to organise, f**k all else to do 

Great idea! Why not make a new thread similar to the P+B Quiz League? 

If anyone fancies a friendly in the meantime, you can find me on chess.com as Cardinalrichie. And I've just added a snazzy new avatar there...

Batumi Chess Olympiad 2018 on Twitter: "Christoph Waltz plays the role of  Cardinal Richelieu in the film “The Three Musketeers”. Waltz's character  plays #chess with King Louis in one of the scenes

May I propose using lichess as a platform? It's a completely free open source chess server which is used by the top players. I find it's much quicker and has a better designed interface than its competitors.

Its puzzles are great as well. There are over a million as it automatically scrapes them from its database of games. So you can practice certain scenarios such as mate in three or bishop and pawn endgames. The analytical tools are also really good. It's easy to go back through your game and see where you fucked up and what you should have played instead.

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I'm too shite to play a league just now but having gone through the beginners lessons twice during my free weeks diamond membership on chess.com I'm a lot less shite than I was this time last Monday.

I'm also shite fancy a game :lol:

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

May I propose using lichess as a platform? It's a completely free open source chess server which is used by the top players. I find it's much quicker and has a better designed interface than its competitors.

Its puzzles are great as well. There are over a million as it automatically scrapes them from its database of games. So you can practice certain scenarios such as mate in three or bishop and pawn endgames. The analytical tools are also really good. It's easy to go back through your game and see where you fucked up and what you should have played instead.

As a newbie I found chess.com easier to use including analysis but haven't given lichess a proper try yet. Will be doing that from tomorrow onwards when my free trial at chess.com ends. 

6 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Would there be much appetite in starting a P&B league?

Happy to organise, f**k all else to do 

I’d be interested but it would depend on what platform it was on and the time control.

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I’d be interested but it would depend on what platform it was on and the time control.

I was hoping chess.com as it is the most popular and everyone on the thread seems to have a log in

Would likely cap it at 3 days per move with an expectation people would move a bit faster than that 

8 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I was hoping chess.com as it is the most popular and everyone on the thread seems to have a log in

Would likely cap it at 3 days per move with an expectation people would move a bit faster than that 

Can you get a free membership on Chess.com

I was thinking time controls would be closer to 5 minutes plus increment.