Chess

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Watched The Queens Gambit recently. Anya Taylor-Joy had some beautiful outfits in it. 

You are quite like the character she portrays, without the chess (or any) ability, originality, charisma and attractiveness of course.

Chess is great if you are playing someone of similar ability. No fun getting humped.

Someone says different.

I used to play for the school team at both primary and secondary level until I lost my virginity then life just become less about concentrating and more about sliding into the fanny. 

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

It’s because your last mine was f2 to f4 which allows your opponent to take the pawn as if it was still on f3.

I’m not explaining it well, Look up the en passant rule.

This made it far clearer to me than the first Google suggestion.

I played when I was at school / uni, we had a pretty good school team that got to the last 8 of the British championships. I was only the 5th best player on the team though, think my rating topped out about 1550. Stopped playing offline about 15 years ago. 
Never really taken to online chess, I'd just assume everyone was cheating. Very occasionally play vs computer on phone app but lose interest quickly. 
Netflix series was good, think it's an accurate portrayal of chess players as alky oddballs in my experience. 
Agree about online chess - too many cheats using computer programmes.

Despite what some will tell you, computers will beat the best players almost every time.

Got into it since Christmas as the missus wanted a chess board after we enjoyed The Queen's Gambit. Really enjoy it but it's clear that to have the depth of strategy of even a decent player will take hundreds of games and loads of study. 

I've played a few games online against the computer past week but it means nothing. Having the board out and playing against someone (ok only the missus so far) is so much more fun. 

On 03/01/2021 at 17:42, Stellaboz said:

Got into it since Christmas as the missus wanted a chess board after we enjoyed The Queen's Gambit. Really enjoy it but it's clear that to have the depth of strategy of even a decent player will take hundreds of games and loads of study. 

I've played a few games online against the computer past week but it means nothing. Having the board out and playing against someone (ok only the missus so far) is so much more fun. 

I do not think it takes hundreds of games

You need to learn about some of the basic strategies eg controlling the centre , attacking your opponent's  ( castled ) king , queen side pawn majority and incorporate them in your games

I do not think it takes hundreds of games
You need to learn about some of the basic strategies eg controlling the centre , attacking your opponent's  ( castled ) king , queen side pawn majority and incorporate them in your games
I'd agree with that. Place your rook on (semi-)open files, develop your pieces, et cetera. Do that and then simply concentrate on not blundering a piece and you'll be fine for the most part. Added to that, pay attention to your opponents' threats. I used to always ignore my opponents' moves as I was concentrating on my own attacks, only to be scunnered by a simple bishop plus queen checkmate.

At an average level it tends to be the first player to make a blunder will tend to lose. As mentioned above, work on the basics. If playing a computer, try picking up on some attacking combinations they may use. They can also make some strange looking moves.  I often forget about a bishop fianchetto, sits there in the corner for ages doing nothing, then BANG, it comes into play and kick you in the nuts.