Chess

Admittedly I am a Chess newbie but I’m at a loss as to how I have not put my opponent in checkmate
His King has nowhere to go yet he still appears to have another move to make.....
I’ve just moved my Pawn from F2 to F4

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.thumb.jpeg.76d1b1fc1a2b417b7da7eb6f43bfeb3b.jpeg
The e4 pawn can capture the f4 pawn en passant.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
13 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:
Admittedly I am a Chess newbie but I’m at a loss as to how I have not put my opponent in checkmate
His King has nowhere to go yet he still appears to have another move to make.....

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.thumb.jpeg.76d1b1fc1a2b417b7da7eb6f43bfeb3b.jpeg

The e4 pawn can capture the f4 pawn en passant.

Thank you 

Wasn’t even aware that was a rule 

28 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Don't play much these days - do like the daily puzzles on chess.com

BTW - did anyone watch the Queens Gambit?

I assumed it was why the thread was started - it was VG. I read that the guy who wrote it spent 30 years trying to get it turned into a series as well. 

I assumed it was why the thread was started - it was VG. I read that the guy who wrote it spent 30 years trying to get it turned into a series as well. 
No, I've not seen it but the chap from Elgin who wrote it also did a very good job of being chairman (or some similar role) of Macallan Glenlivet in the nineties.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The en-passant rule is utter, utter dogshite that makes no logical sense.

I'll agree with that. It essentially locks your pawn in the place until such time as your opponent's pawn is either moved or captured. And to what end?

I wanna try playing online chess whilst simultaneously loading up an offline game and just input my opponents moves against Pro difficulty and see if I win online. 

I used to play chess and came second in a school tournament, the guy that came first cheated against me but was also significantly scafffier and more hard than me so I gave up the crucial points that were legitimately mine.

13 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I wanna try playing online chess whilst simultaneously loading up an offline game and just input my opponents moves against Pro difficulty and see if I win online. 

I used to play chess and came second in a school tournament, the guy that came first cheated against me but was also significantly scafffier and more hard than me so I gave up the crucial points that were legitimately mine.

Shat it.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's actually a bug. Game hasn't been updated in ages. pretty sure the devs dont care anymore.

emoji6.png

Should allow substitutes imo. Take off a defender and put on an attacker late in the match...game changer.

Edited by Shotgun

15 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

83F095BD-2211-4320-89F8-3945375D62DE.jpeg

It’s because your last mine was f2 to f4 which allows your opponent to take the pawn as if it was still on f3.

I’m not explaining it well, Look up the en passant rule.

I can play chess. My uncle is pretty good at it and he’s sent me a Bobby Fisher chess book and two volumes of some other chess manual. They were for my daughter. She liked chess for a while and she knows how to play, but that’s about it. Neither of us have any recognised strategies. We just play and see where it takes us. The last time I played a machine was my Atari console back in the 80s.

I used to play back when I was a virgin also. My career roll of honour...

Came 3rd in a Scottish age group tournament.

Made the Scottish schools squad for a home nations tournament.

Led my primary school to the Scottish schools final.(beaten by some Renfrewshire mob iirc)

My voice then broke, I started to grow hair in weird places and discovered alcohol and marijuana, and the opposite sex.

Going to see if my auld dear still has my trophies and medals.

It's a great game, but I prefer playing irl with a set and clock against a similar opponent, rather than online. So I've not really played for years.

I think chess is probably a bit like a foreign language. It's easy enough to get by and be polite and after a few months of flirting with it you might be able to be understood. But you'll never be able to converse well without actually studying it, preferably with a teacher.

I've not really found anything decent on line. There are good sites teaching you the basics, some very good puzzles and presumably some excellent in depth analyses of specific lines by top grandmasters. If you want to find out when you should exchange bishops though it's tough to find good sources for information aimed at the intermediate player that most folk are. What the game could really do with is some sort of Duolingo for chess.

I played when I was at school / uni, we had a pretty good school team that got to the last 8 of the British championships. I was only the 5th best player on the team though, think my rating topped out about 1550. Stopped playing offline about 15 years ago. 

Never really taken to online chess, I'd just assume everyone was cheating. Very occasionally play vs computer on phone app but lose interest quickly. 

Netflix series was good, think it's an accurate portrayal of chess players as alky oddballs in my experience. 

Edited by Fuctifano