People with interesting careers outside of football

Just now, 8MileBU said:

Why did she want him to GTF? Any particular reason? Was Rab Douglas there and of the same opinion?

They were on their 'date night' and Goram literally just walked in ordered a pint looked around and spotted Rab and come across to his table. 

Nah, Rab was fine. The pair of them were getting pictures taken and having a laugh with everyone. 

17 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Ex-Clyde players Darren Murray, Paul McLachlan, Alex Burns, Gary Arbuckle & Tom Brighton are all polis (not sure if they’ve already been named but I cba looking through every page on this thread!)

Ironic how many ex Clyde players have gone onto be polis considering they don’t shy away from employing criminals!

On 06/01/2021 at 15:48, GNU_Linux said:

Ex-referee Andrew Waddell was a pathologist at Edinburgh University as a researcher & lecturer & has since gone on to hold high up roles at medical organisations within the private sector. Still involved with football currently holding a role with Edinburgh Uni AFC & before that Preston Athletic.

Ex-ref John Underhill was a Professor of Stratigraphy at the University of Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt IPE whilst I was doing a postgrad there. I think he had done some casual refereeing post-SPL though no idea if he is still involved in the game.

Ex-Ayr, Kilmarnock, Berwick and Stirling Albion player Jim McSherry owns the Wee Windaes pub in Ayr, helluva nice guy. Even signed an Ayr program I had from 1976 with his photo in it

Gerry Philips who also played for Ayr in the 70s was my PE teacher at Kyle Academy, many years later I had my sister take another 70s Ayr program in to school him to sign after I found one with his photo in it :lol:

Of course Alex Ingram bought a car dealership after playing for Ayr, my dad worked for him as an apprentice mechanic when Ingrams garage was still on Dalblair Road!

Edited by mugen_power

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2021 at 17:27, Aidan said:
On 06/01/2021 at 16:32, afca32 said:
Elgin midfielder Rory McEwan and captain Euan Spark are both pest controllers.

Ross Meechan, Steven Anderson, Martyn Fotheringham, Paul McManus and Dale Hilson all actually work for the same pest control company

Are they all with Ross Graham’s firm? He was chairman of Forfar till very recently (and played in the lower leagues & juniors I think). May have been giving jobs to old pals from the game or even as a wee incentive to sign for Forfar. 

Not very interesting but adding to the already long list of footballing Polis:

Allan McManus (Hearts, St Johnstone)

Davie Irons

Andy Aitken (QoS, Annan)

Jamie McQuilken (Aberdeen, St Johnstone, QoS)

Willie Kinniburgh

Euan McLean (St Johnstone, Dundee Utd keeper)

Scott Wilson (Rangers, Dunfermline)

Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere but David Sinclair, ex-Livi, went to play football in Iceland. What he didn't realise that as part of his contract he was required to work in a fish packing factory on his days off.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/iceland-not-plaice-david-sinclair-3620467

George Maxwell who played for Killie in the 70's was also a PE teacher in his day job....  he taught Gordon Smith, also his team mate before Smith moved to Rangers, he had to remind Gordon on several ocassions not to call him 'Sir' outwith school.

After retiring from playing he went on to teach PE and mentor Kris Boyd.