Dons v Utd. An appreciation of Stuart Duff.

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

"Tight with Celtic"

Magic.

Bizarre thing to take issue with. If we won we'd have been two points off Celtic.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In fairness there are some in our support who go apoplectic if there’s any hint the club are settling for 3rd. thankfully we don’t hear much of it from mcinnes. 

It does comes across like the lip service to the bams that has seeped in under Cormack. There should be a balance between Milne's lack of ambition and Dave promising the world.

Dire from both teams ,why oh why does the lump Main keep getting game time? Point fair but with the duopoly back i'm struggling to care .Think give our next game a miss as certain we will get nil  and watch netflix instead.

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

They're sat too deep to do what you are expecting IMO. Their job is to get the ball wide or in to the players behind the striker in this system. I agree both could do more.

Main and Hoban's chances were as good as anything United created. Your two best efforts came from outside the box. Connolly should have done better with the free kick that landed on his knee.

That’s it. Shankland managed to make two good efforts with very poor service in a team that got very little of the ball. Our strikers had plenty of the ball, but did little with and don’t seem to have the movement to find themselves space. Hopefully, Wright and Hedges spark more going forward in the coming weeks.

Few post match thoughts of mine;

We looked a lot better for the introduction of Powers. Or perhaps more accurately taking Pawlett out the side.

Good point for United, but felt with a bit more desire we could even have sneaked the win. 

Finding myself getting infuriated at how slow we do things though. We do NOTHING quickly. The amount of opportunities we had to take a quick free kick and catch Aberdeen out. But no, every time we take nigh on a minute to take the kick and allow the opposition to get themselves wet up. Pisses me off.

Appere's first appearance for a while and thought he acquitted himself well. Same goes for Neilson

7 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

When did I say that he had passed away?

23 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that Stuart Duff was a bit less shit than some people claimed. The physical similarities to Walter the Softy did him no favours.

The Duffmeister was nothing if not a team player and I reckon he'll be watching the game from up high tomorrow with a munificent smile on his pasty wee face, simply enjoying the occasion. Scottish football has lost another legend too soon. Sleep well sweet prince. 

Do you work for Trump?

Few post match thoughts of mine;
We looked a lot better for the introduction of Powers. Or perhaps more accurately taking Pawlett out the side.
Good point for United, but felt with a bit more desire we could even have sneaked the win. 
Finding myself getting infuriated at how slow we do things though. We do NOTHING quickly. The amount of opportunities we had to take a quick free kick and catch Aberdeen out. But no, every time we take nigh on a minute to take the kick and allow the opposition to get themselves wet up. Pisses me off.
Appere's first appearance for a while and thought he acquitted himself well. Same goes for Neilson

I mentioned something similar on Twitter (more to do with the lack of attacking changes today). If we give Mellon the benefit of the doubt (and I still am), then it might be he just simply does not trust in the ability of some players. Giving them freedom to take quick free-kicks and attacking gambles is maybe something he feels this group can’t really do.

Similarly with lack of changes today, he maybe just doesn’t feel like McMullan/Sporle/Bolton could have had the ability to manage the later stages of the game well enough, without taking too many costly risks.

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Pish

It wasn’t that good. 

Need  to get another striker (not called Stewart) in and get Main and Edmundson out as soon as possible. Hopefully someone offers cash for Cosgrove as well as he is regressing alarmingly. 

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Derek's said we needed more crosses.

That worries me more than the second half performance.

We don’t need more crosses. We need better crosses and better attackers. I actually thought we played very well first half, got plenty of decent crosses in, and worked a couple of good openings.

Hedges has been terrific all season and he was very good again today. For him to end up playing RWB in order to shoehorn in both Cosgrove and Main/Edmundson is criminal from McInnes. It’s clear that he’s most effective up the pitch and as centrally as possible. Wright offered a little once he came on, but didn’t look sharp. McGinn was ok first half too, but summed it up when he managed to get into the box second half and duly fell over instead of crossing. Maybe this is what McInnes was talking about. 

The good thing we can take from this is that defensively we are still very solid. Taylor has been excellent for the majority of the season and Considine and Hoban offer a good balance. Kennedy baffles me going forward, what sort of a player is he?! But defensively him and Hayes do well at breaking up attacks up the park. 

Ferguson good defensively today, but disappointing going forward, as well as McCrorie who was very poor. 

I’m reasonably happy that we don’t look like we need a massive overhaul to start doing well, but I’m pissed off that we’ve had a lot of opportunities to pick up easy points and thrown them away. Second really isn’t out of our reach this season, but games like this mean we’ll really struggle. 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

To be fair he did say it needed more shots as well but the crosses were just playing in to their hands.

Most defences in Scotland want to be dealing with crosses into the box. I know I generally defend the man but reliance on crosses touches a nerve for me. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Most defences in Scotland want to be dealing with crosses into the box. I know I generally defend the man but reliance on crosses touches a nerve for me. 

I'm not going to have a go at him as such for today. He set us up well.

Recruitment is the issue. I don't know if it's him, Russ Richardson or Steven Gunn who's in charge in that regard.

43 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

To be fair he did say it needed more shots as well but the crosses were just playing in to their hands.

That's not the same thing at all then. The issue is the quality of the crosses although I do feel it's a very predictable aspect of our play. Since we're pretty poor at them there's a strange reliance on them to create chances or more hope for a bit of fortune which seems most likely at the moment.

The best cross we had today was when Hayes waited for a second before putting in a low one. The United defence was instantly more uncomfortable with that and barely scrambled it away for a corner.

Usually it seems we just punt aimless floaters into the box which is meat and drink for most defences in the Premiership. Horribly frustrating and boring to watch

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Bizarre thing to take issue with. If we won we'd have been two points off Celtic.

It does comes across like the lip service to the bams that has seeped in under Cormack. There should be a balance between Milne's lack of ambition and Dave promising the world.

Celtic saw 9.75 in a row practically disappear today, he has to lash out at someone.