Staggies v St J's - 2nd Jan

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Have we?

Hamilton missed an absolute sitter at McDiarmid, and also had a counter attack with a boy standing completely unmarked 12 yards out (thankfully ignored), while County get a free shot from 12 yards and shouldve won it at the end.

Hamilton made it clear they were sitting deep and playing on the counter, while County dominated us first half and exposed the centre of the park constantly.

The only thing that's changed lately is Zander Clark remembering how his hands work.

Either way, we’ve avoided defeat, whether lucky or otherwise.

That game at Pittodrie where we played really well, should have won but got beaten could have been a real confidence drainer for the players. That was on the back of losing to two late goals at paisley.

I’m not enjoying this anymore than you are, and share your frustrations about the manager’s decisions. But showing we are capable of scrapping points is vital.

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

Are we just making things up now? Unless you are talking about other sites? You are better than this. 

Oh, this is the St Johnstone Banter page. I think everyone is being fairly realistic on P&B, regardless of whether their outlook is more skewed towards a positive or negative viewpoint. Apologies, I thought we were just talking about the fanbase in general.

Edited by The Real Saints

Just now, The Real Saints said:

Oh, this is the St Johnstone Banter page.

Fair enough but think discussions on here should relate to what is the topic of conversation or consensus on here. Equally, I've not seen anyone on here call @Mr Positive, sometimes. pathetic for expressing an opinion. Was this the Facebook group too?

On the point @PauloPerth is making, I think you can take a lot from performances early in the season but suppose I agree now that it starts to be about results. Two undefeated is something, even if there's much to moan about. 

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

Fair enough but think discussions on here should relate to what is the topic of conversation or consensus on here. Equally, I've not seen anyone on here call @Mr Positive, sometimes. pathetic for expressing an opinion. Was this the Facebook group too?

On the point @PauloPerth is making, I think you can take a lot from performances early in the season but suppose I agree now that it starts to be about results. Two undefeated is something, even if there's much to moan about. 

What's your viewpoint on Davidson, his systems or the varying of A system and the current underperforming staff at the club Radford. Interested to hear a fairly balanced individuals viewpoint.

Very disappointed with the draw but we didn’t lose. We really need to be taking those chances. The game can go with you or against you in just a few seconds so every chance is vital and we are not taking them. This is relegation we are heading for unless we get in someone to put the ball in the net.

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

I don't see any issue with discussing the fanbase's mood as a whole. We represent a tiny minority of the fanbase and our views don't necessarily reflect many of those outwith this site. Not sure why we should feel the need to restrict ourselves to only talking about P&B'ers. I haven't seen any of us expressing 'happiness' on here in the last few days, which is what was being dicussed initially. But maybe I've interpreted this entire conversation incorrectly.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

What's your viewpoint on Davidson, his systems or the varying of A system and the current underperforming staff at the club Radford. Interested to hear a fairly balanced individuals viewpoint.

Davidson was handed the job a few days before pre-season began and having been focused on Millwall up to that point. He inherited a small squad and by the time the window closed, had the leanest group by about 3 or 4 players. With limited resources (both in terms of ability to scout players and how far his budget can stretch) he's gone for known quantities. McNamara worked out, Olaofe didn't and would I have signed Conway and Bryson? Probably not but I'm not going to go all in on judging him on his first window in these circumstances. I don't see what that achieves. 

He's chosen quite a sophisticated system but the players got to grips with it pretty quickly and I liked the fact it was clear how we were trying to play. Often felt - and said - under TW that I couldn't see how we were trying to play so the freshness was quite exciting and I was pretty confident we'd have a good season. 

I've been worn down a bit to be honest with a lot of what is, let's be honest, negativity. I know folk have belittled the unbeaten run but did think it was starting to click and found it quite disheartening how unhappy some folk still were. I'm a strong believer that to thrive, a manager/club needs to have the fans on board so with the downturn in results and ramping up of the criticism, it has escalated the need for results (over performances) to try and get folk back onside.

That's not to say I haven't seen weaknesses in the system in recent weeks though as we end the second round of fixtures and accept that we probably need to try something else. Still been quite taken aback but just how quickly and how much some fans hated the football we were playing. 

I think we need more willingness to switch things up and need more depth in the squad. Today was really the first time I've been disappointed in a team selection and felt he never really reacted to that but we have a novice manager as opposed to a guy with hundreds of games behind him, so there needs to be an understanding of that. You don't appoint Callum Davidson then tear it all up after 6 months. I'm prepared to be patient with him. 

What are your feelings? 

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

IWe represent a tiny minority of the fanbase and our views don't necessarily reflect many of those outwith this site.

My point is that you make a point like the original one and I'm confused about who it is aimed at. I think there are folk trying to remain positive on here but think they'd resent the implication of happy-clapping. 

All I ever hear about the Facebook group is that it's full of nonsense. Whether it represents out fan base or not, is there much to be gained from. carrying it over here? 

As ever perfectly reasonable and rationale comments Radford. How far does patience stretch though, to relegation? I'm not advocating sacking him at all and agree we have to go with what we appointed. But does that patience come at the expense of ten years establishing ourselves? It's not a straightforward situation. Can only hope he learns and manages to change it soon.

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

My point is that you make a point like the original one and I'm confused about who it is aimed at. I think there are folk trying to remain positive on here but think they'd resent the implication of happy-clapping. 

All I ever hear about the Facebook group is that it's full of nonsense. Whether it represents out fan base or not, is there much to be gained from. carrying it over here? 

I was just continuing the conversation which had been going on beforehand about fans who are happy with the current situation. I assumed that wasn't in relation to anyone on here, but more likely to be about fans on Twitter and Facebook. There's a difference between remaining positive and being happy/satisfied with the situation. I haven't seen any posts on here which indicate the latter so I didn't realise that anyone was discussing P&Bers prior to my post.

Just now, Costanza said:

How far does patience stretch though, to relegation?

I don't think you can look that far down the road but whilst I can still see him building something, he will have my backing. My default starting position with any manager isn't one of scepticism but of giving them every opportunity, especially when it's their first post and they bring what, IMO, are several good attributes to the role. 

You risk falling into a pretty horrible cycle if you start sacking managers.

22 minutes ago, Radford said:

Davidson was handed the job a few days before pre-season began and having been focused on Millwall up to that point. He inherited a small squad and by the time the window closed, had the leanest group by about 3 or 4 players. With limited resources (both in terms of ability to scout players and how far his budget can stretch) he's gone for known quantities. McNamara worked out, Olaofe didn't and would I have signed Conway and Bryson? Probably not but I'm not going to go all in on judging him on his first window in these circumstances. I don't see what that achieves. 

He's chosen quite a sophisticated system but the players got to grips with it pretty quickly and I liked the fact it was clear how we were trying to play. Often felt - and said - under TW that I couldn't see how we were trying to play so the freshness was quite exciting and I was pretty confident we'd have a good season. 

I've been worn down a bit to be honest with a lot of what is, let's be honest, negativity. I know folk have belittled the unbeaten run but did think it was starting to click and found it quite disheartening how unhappy some folk still were. I'm a strong believer that to thrive, a manager/club needs to have the fans on board so with the downturn in results and ramping up of the criticism, it has escalated the need for results (over performances) to try and get folk back onside.

That's not to say I haven't seen weaknesses in the system in recent weeks though as we end the second round of fixtures and accept that we probably need to try something else. Still been quite taken aback but just how quickly and how much some fans hated the football we were playing. 

I think we need more willingness to switch things up and need more depth in the squad. Today was really the first time I've been disappointed in a team selection and felt he never really reacted to that but we have a novice manager as opposed to a guy with hundreds of games behind him, so there needs to be an understanding of that. You don't appoint Callum Davidson then tear it all up after 6 months. I'm prepared to be patient with him. 

What are your feelings? 

Agree with most of what you've said although I'd like him to be more adaptable, make substitutions quicker when it clearly isn't working and maybe even take a gamble now and again.

The players are basically the players he's inherited, some of them are decent enough and more than good enough for this league. I can understand why he's went down the Bryson Conway route, he's new to management and he needs tried and tested players in, especially as it was very short notice. Although folk may debate this as he was a shoe in for the job and could've been sounding out players in January. He's restricted budget wise and it can't be easy attracting players to Saints.

My gripes are his sticking rigidly to a system, you can say he's tweaked it in a few games, he has, but always reverts back to it even when it hasn't been working. His trusting of certain players, it doesn't make sense when there are better players available and his subs are confusing. 

What I will say is that individual errors and discipline have been killing us, that's his job to sort out though. Oh aye and finishing, surely they work on that, it is fucking rancid, it's not good enough for professionals to constantly balloon balls 30 yards over the bar, it's worrying that he rates Kane, very very worrying.