Staggies v St J's - 2nd Jan

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We arguably win the game if, at any point, we'd worked on defending throw ins after conceding two almost identical goals last month. But yet again we leave someone free near the penalty spot.

You arguably win the game if you score more goals than the opposition, ones from open play would be good, even Coll Donaldson doesn’t give away enough penalties.

Edited by Staggie52

First 45 minutes was up there with the worst this season. Two wingers that contributed very little with or without the ball leaving middle two midfielders very exposed - although they did well to deal with it in the main. The goal is another disaster from both the defence and the keeper.

Second half starts better and Wotherspoon coming on makes a big difference. Then the other side of our problems come to the fore with Kane making a hash of two good chances. Dominate. Don't score. Again.

The last five minutes are a mess. County make a positive change and we make a totally perplexing one. End up hanging on. The first of Clark's two late stops is an absolutely terrific one btw.

Don't know why Wotherspoon and May are on the bench - their both much, much better than their equivalents.

Not as despondent as other Saints fans today.

We were awful in the first half and looked like a team staring relegation in the face.  The second half we were much better, and we had more confidence and drive about us.  Our careless finishing and Zander Clark's goalkeeping kept the score down.

Ive never liked the 5-2-3 since the first time we played it, but it seems to be what the manager is committed to and I think will be what we will always revert back to.

County came into that game on a high and were obviously fired up so a point away to them is not the worst.

We are on a desperate run and were gifting points all over the place, so stopping that rot was the priority.

Massive improvement required, but grinding out points is what we have to do. Now need to turn 1 point into 3 over the next couple of matches.

13 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Wtf happened there, I just seen Laidlaw jogging out to the corner flag to collect the ball.  Did the fk taker trip or something?

Rooney instead of putting it in the box for one final attempt he tried to be clever by passing it up the line to someone. Nobody else was on this crazy wavelength and it rolled out for goal kick and full time. 🤦🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, you wouldn't.

You'd be playing Vigurs at LCB and wingers as centre forwards simply so he can blindly stick to a set up that leaves us wide open on counter attacks.

Come over to the dark side, RandomGuy. 

The 5-2-3 is fucking dreadful. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The 5-2-3 is fucking dreadful. 

It has its uses, but I don't understand why hes so stuck on it.

We didn't even play well second half, County just turned to shit and allowed us the ball in their half, the fact we created almost nothing from having that possession says it all about us.

Thats now 2 points, and 0 open play goals, from Hamilton and County, the two teams we're arguably fighting relegation against. In that time both have picked up wins elsewhere.

I've no idea why anyone is happy after the past two games. 

If I had been offered 4 points from the last 2 games before a ball was kicked I would have gladly taken that. I do feel slightly dissapointed though not to have taken all 3 today. For all the pressure Saint Johnstone had Laidlaw made only one save of note and we did defend quite well and we gifted them the goal.

On another day we could have grabbed it at the end if it was not for the two great saves.

Bottom of the league but still no great chasm between us and the teams above us.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Until told otherwise, St Johnstone should be expecting the worst and working under the assumption that Motherwell and Hamilton will be awarded the points for those postponed matches. In that case, we'd currently be sitting in the relegation play-off spot.

And Callums happy with the performances. 

Will take that point even though it doesn't really help us. The opening spell went exactly as you'd fear with teams wising up to the manager's preferred system. To not try and alter it was negligent. 

Was the second half better? McCann was a machine in the middle of the park and Wotherspoon made a huge difference (26 touches in 30 mins as opposed to 8 touches from O'Halloran in his hour on the pitch) but County fell off it a bit and, for all the criticism from their fans, they lost something with Vigurs going off. 

Kane does so much good (and it's far more than just running) but his inability in front of goal is a significant handicap. May as a lone striker isn't really my cup of tea either, so it comes back to shape... 

I thought the post earlier from @RandomGuy. about the merits of 4-4-2 was interesting. I'm about done with the 5-2-3 now as well, in part because no one else is enjoying it, and think we need to get back to something more orthodox. I'd be interested to know why he changed the shape today, for what tactical reason?

Would really like to see some evidence of improvement in the problems that have dogged us even when playing well. That there hasn't been, isn't a great reflection on the coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It has its uses, but I don't understand why hes so stuck on it.

We didn't even play well second half, County just turned to shit and allowed us the ball in their half, the fact we created almost nothing from having that possession says it all about us.

Thats now 2 points, and 0 open play goals, from Hamilton and County, the two teams we're arguably fighting relegation against. In that time both have picked up wins elsewhere.

I've no idea why anyone is happy after the past two games. 

Wouldn't describe myself as happy, but I felt it was obvious we were in a relegation dogfight a while back. That talk of an unbeaten record was a joke when it was wins against Peterhead, Brechin and Kelty.  We won 2 league matches in that period!

The priority after so many pretty but pointless performances and 4 defeats in a row was to stop the rot and become harder to beat.  We've started to do that, and we now have to keep that mentality but start taking 3 points. 

I don't think it's likely with our lack of goal threat that it's all going to click into place and we'll put a few past anyone.   

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The people that are happy don’t seem to realise we’re in a relegation dog fight. 

"We'll be fine, look what happened last season" 🙄🤦‍♂️

After the Aberdeen game other Saints fans called me "pathetic" for being critical after that game... 🤔

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

become harder to beat.  We've started to do that.

Have we?

Hamilton missed an absolute sitter at McDiarmid, and also had a counter attack with a boy standing completely unmarked 12 yards out (thankfully ignored), while County get a free shot from 12 yards and shouldve won it at the end.

Hamilton made it clear they were sitting deep and playing on the counter, while County dominated us first half and exposed the centre of the park constantly because the manager has reverted back to a shape that leaves us wide open.

The only thing that's changed lately is Zander Clark remembering how his hands work.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Or the ones who say that we’ve been spoiled for the past decade and shouldn’t even express annoyance for performing at our expected level now. Those happy-clapper types can absolutely do one.

Are we just making things up now? Unless you are talking about other sites? You are better than this.