Killie v St Mirren

In the battle of which set of posters could be more doom and gloom in the Motherwell v Killie thread, the Well fans came out on top, and with good reason. 

After our surprise 0-2 victory against the truly awful Motherwell (a result so embarrassing that Robinson immediately submitted his resignation), we move on to Saturday's game against our good friends St Mirren, who look pretty handy these days. 

I've missed my live fitba during 2020, and no fixture more than away to Paisley. Just an all round great day, marred slightly by the actual fitba. 

Our turn to host you. Just a shame we can't be there, but hopefully we manage to somehow mug our way to another victory. 

1 minute ago, ancientnoise said:

The BIG ONE.

Really brings everything home about covid that New Year's a "bit different" this year.

A bit sad about it TBH.

Yeah, this is usually one of the best days of the season, with a big crowd. Basically the one away game I'm 100% guaranteed to be at as well because my Mrs is from Hurlford and goes to visit her folks while I get out on the piss with my wee cousin who is usually up from London. Bit sad indeed.

We've been decent enough recently, but we don't score enough goals. If Killie can score, they've got a good chance of winning. 1-0 either way for me.

Since neither of our rivals can ever seem to make it to the top flight we need to repeatedly make do with this fake rivalry at this time of year. No 2-1-21 in the title? Two one two to you. Twit-Two.

We were in good form until we lost two out of the last three. In saying that, we haven’t lost to anyone outside the top four... since our last game against Kille in September.

Killie lost their last five until they went to the comforting sanctuary of Fir Park. That ground seems to cure all ails.

f**k knows what will happen here. Maybe win, maybe lose, maybe draw. Shame we can’t go.

1-1

PS Kirk Broadfoot is a St Mirren great and a w****r. All at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Since neither of our rivals can ever seem to make it to the top flight we need to repeatedly make do with this fake rivalry

Kilmarnock have always been our New Year rivals principally because Morton were so rarely in the top division.

Even when the  soapless had raised their game and were both in the top league, we played Kilmarnock on the 1st and Morton on the non-prestigious 2nd.

Kilmarnock have always been our New Year rivals principally because Morton were so rarely in the top division.
Even when the  soapless had raised their game and were both in the top league, we played Kilmarnock on the 1st and Morton on the non-prestigious 2nd.

Good point. Perhaps I just pointlessly fantasise about a world where Morton, Ayr, Killie and Saints are all in the top flight. What a west coast alliance that would be. Then we could all get the right matches on new year, and imagine them away days.

One of my (much) older Saints supporting friends does tell me that in the 50’s that the real rivalry was Saints and Killie. The Morton thing only really came about in the 70’s and 80’s.

Killie away is one of my favourite places. The criminal amount of legroom is offset by a amazing view of the game and a stand that bounces so much when the atmosphere is in full flow, that you see folk genuinely giving each other nervous glances. 

Won't miss trying to get parked at Rugby Park, but will certainly miss the atmosphere.

As others have mentioned, it's impossible to predict this game.

Two teams that seem to find it difficult to score, but are capable of gift wrapping goals for the  opposition.

3-3 draw. Although I really would prefer it to be 4-3 to us.

How are Danny Rogers and Calum Waters doing for you?

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Killie away is one of my favourite places. The criminal amount of legroom is offset by a amazing view of the game and a stand that bounces so much when the atmosphere is in full flow, that you see folk genuinely giving each other nervous glances. 

Its built on a floating foundation, the stand is actually designed to move.....

33 minutes ago, FTOF said:

How are Danny Rogers and Calum Waters doing for you?

Rogers has probably been player of the season for us so far, had a couple of shaky moments but he's bailed us out in games more often than he's made mistakes. He's definitely been an upgrade compared to Branescu and Koprivec from last season.

Waters seems like an ok squad option but I don't think he's a starter at prem level, very hesitant to get forward and gets beat by his man too easily a lot of the time.

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

In my first full season , 68/69 , we played 3 games in 4 days , on the 1st(Kilmarnock), 2nd(Arbroath)  4th(Thistle) Jan , with not a Morton in sight. Oct and March for the Morton games !

34 minutes ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Rogers has probably been player of the season for us so far, had a couple of shaky moments but he's bailed us out in games more often than he's made mistakes. He's definitely been an upgrade compared to Branescu and Koprivec from last season.

Waters seems like an ok squad option but I don't think he's a starter at prem level, very hesitant to get forward and gets beat by his man too easily a lot of the time.

Waters was subbed off against Motherwell with Dyer saying post match he has a groin hernia, which the club were managing, he got to a stage he couldn't continue, waiting on it to settle down then take it from there ..... Sounds like he'll be out for a bit. It won't help with his mobility to get forward, turn quick etc either.

Edited by C4mmy31

37 minutes ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Certainly a better version of Rogers than we saw.

Your description of Waters, sounds a lot like when he was with us. If Dylan Connolly is on his game tomorrow, whoever replaces Waters might be very busy.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Certainly a better version of Rogers than we saw.

Your description of Waters, sounds a lot like when he was with us. If Dylan Connolly is on his game tomorrow, whoever replaces Waters might be very busy.

that'll be Haunstrup, but he hasnt set the heather on fire since he joined from Portsmouth..... says it all when a less than 100% Calum Waters keeps him out the team.