Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

7 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

£3million was obviously a smart price before he played for Celtic.    McGinn was exactly the same you can see the quality Turnbull has, the comparisons with Michael Ballack are perfectly fine.   Surely you were surprised by when Rangers scouted Motherwell and signed Jake Hastie?    

Not that surprised, because Hastie cost nothing.

Like I said, Turnbull might turn out to be a £10/12m player. But it's way too early to be saying he definitely will be. He still has a way to go.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

We aren’t being run terribly, our success on and off the pitch proves that.
The protesters initially wanted Lennon out (there was no sack the board banners just Lennon to go) .
However the board then basically went against the fans and had barriers put up, and basically said they are sticking with Lennon to spite the fans. If Lennon had been binned after either Prague game there would have been no board protests.

Our trophy cabinet is still full and our accounts in the black so its clearly not over how the club has been run, it’s  how they have treated the fans.

The bulk of those domestic successes were down to having next to no genuine challengers for the most part though. Also, didn’t the protests escalate and the board get thrown into the mix because of something coming out about how much Lawell & co were awarding themselves in bonuses and dividends? There was definitely something along those lines that also riled Celtic fans along with the on field performances.

51 minutes ago, G51 said:

Not that surprised, because Hastie cost nothing.

Like I said, Turnbull might turn out to be a £10/12m player. But it's way too early to be saying he definitely will be. He still has a way to go.

However seems a much more shrewd investment than paying Jermaine Defoes ridiculous salary

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

However seems a much more shrewd investment than paying Jermaine Defoes ridiculous salary

apples, oranges etc. we're not paying defoe to sell him on for a huge profit, we're paying him to score goals and mentor our young players. defoe's wages are almost certainly less than brown's, who's fulfilling a similar role in celtic's squad.

again, turnbull might come good! he might well become a 10m player! just think that 500 mins into his celtic career is a bit early to say he definitely will be!

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

apples, oranges etc. we're not paying defoe to sell him on for a huge profit, we're paying him to score goals and mentor our young players. defoe's wages are almost certainly less than brown's, who's fulfilling a similar role in celtic's squad.

again, turnbull might come good! he might well become a 10m player! just think that 500 mins into his celtic career is a bit early to say he definitely will be!

C’mon mate you cannot compare Brown and Defoe in anyway shape or form or indeed their influence or importance to the club. Scott Brown has only just lost his place to Soro and will likely start Saturday, Defoe is now what 4th choice striker? 22 trophies compared to 0. I’d say Brown has earned his salary based on achievement and being one of our most decorated players ever. I’m not having that sorry 😂

But back to Turnbull. Sometimes you see a player and you just know you have a good one, Tierney being an example of such.

In saying that however Saturday will be his biggest test to date. 

14 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

The bulk of those domestic successes were down to having next to no genuine challengers for the most part though. Also, didn’t the protests escalate and the board get thrown into the mix because of something coming out about how much Lawell & co were awarding themselves in bonuses and dividends? There was definitely something along those lines that also riled Celtic fans along with the on field performances.

Lawwells been taking a f**k tonne off us for years and Desmond usually doesn’t take his dividend. None of this is new information. As for the lack of competition its much the same team Celtic and Rangers have had this season as last but we still horsed it. Winning every trophy going for the past 4 years is hard to downplay tbh.

Edited by gannonball

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

C’mon mate you cannot compare Brown and Defoe in anyway shape or form or indeed their influence or importance to the club. Scott Brown has only just lost his place to Soro and will likely start Saturday, Defoe is now what 4th choice striker? 22 trophies compared to 0. I’d say Brown has earned his salary based on achievement and being one of our most decorated players ever. I’m not having that sorry 😂

But back to Turnbull. Sometimes you see a player and you just know you have a good one, Tierney being an example of such.

Its only injury thats going to stop Turnbull going to an EPL club imo. There isn’t really a weakness to his game that I have seen both for Motherwell or Celtic.

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Surely the difference that actually matters is Jermain Defoe can still play at a high level in the Premiership, and Scott Brown can’t play dead?

Again, you might be right about Turnbull. But generally, you have to show it against a higher level of opposition than he has to justify that kind of money. We’re talking about a guy who wouldn’t even get in the Scotland squad at the minute.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Surely the difference that actually matters is Jermain Defoe can still play at a high level in the Premiership  

Did you really get voted top ***??? Have I missed something?? 

Edited by Drew Brees

It could be argued that Scott Brown and his massive salary is what has held Celtic back. Too much heart ruling head and keeping him at the club when better, younger players could have been sourced. He's been draining the tank at Celtic for a good four or five years. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It could be argued that Scott Brown and his massive salary is what has held Celtic back. Too much heart ruling head and keeping him at the club when better, younger players could have been sourced. He's been draining the tank at Celtic for a good four or five years. 

Under Rodgers he was totally reinvigorated and one of our best players so wouldn’t say he's been on the decline for that long. He’s still got a role to play for us but its Lennon I blame for not taking out the team when needed to be rested or not required. Going to a back 3 and having him starting as well was absolutely pointless earlier on in the season, especially at home.

Edited by gannonball

12 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

IMHO this is his 1st bad season, 

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

IMHO this is his 1st bad season, 

Was he not looking completely finished before retiring from International duty? 

I do remember the one season where he looked reinvigorated and back to his best under Rogers and I honestly hoped none of you would. 

Brown has obvious qualities to his game and is dominant against lesser sides but he has been generally non-existent against Gerrard’s Rangers side, particularly at Ibrox.

I don’t want to say too much else as it will no doubt make me look foolish tomorrow when he has a stormer of a game 😂