Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

Rangers looked awful yesterday and, whilst it's said that playing badly and winning is a sign of a Championship side, they were very, very lucky. Celtic have recently been playing a lot better, whilst Rangers have not been themselves since we beat them. I don't think the title race is over at all.
I would agree with this but for one thing; Celtic's current ability to concede goals from nowhere on a fairly regular basis. Yesterday was a classic example of dominating play for 45 minutes but failing to score and subsequently losing momentum and another bad goal. Gerrard deserves credit for the introduction of Hagi - he made a difference against a tiring Celtic midfield - and we also need to consider the absence of Jack and Arfield. In Christie, McGregor and (potentially) Turnbull, Celtic have real midfield quality, but titles are won with competency right through the team.

18 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Once again, wastecoatwilly is the only Celtic fan talking sense.

Neil Lennon has earned the right to manage Celtic for as long as he sees fit. That's the bottom line.

You earn the right by winning matches that matter. We have lost this season too many games that matter.

If Billy McNeil wasn’t afforded the right to manage Celtic for as long as he sees fit nor should Neil Lennon

33 minutes ago, bennett said:

I thought we were poor in the first half but that's something that we've done in Europe several times, then improved in the second half. Since the league cup game we've been doing what we previously struggled to do, break down defensive physical sides and get the points.

I agree with the title not being over, I can see it going to the wire this season.

Making sevco look ordinary is easy to do, there is no doubt they are better without the ball.
Winning the league is still a big ask for both teams,it's advantage sevco at the halfway stage. 

25 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Once again, wastecoatwilly is the only Celtic fan talking sense.

Neil Lennon has earned the right to manage Celtic for as long as he sees fit. That's the bottom line.

I can't believe how quickly they've turned against the proud Ulsterman.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Making sevco look ordinary is easy to do, there is no doubt they are better without the ball.
Winning the league is still a big ask for both teams,it's advantage sevco at the halfway stage. 

Rangers league record this season: P22 W20 D2 L0 GS 57 GA 5 Pts 62

That's the point you lunatic.
It's simply not realistic to talk of this Celtic side winning all their remaining games with so many of them left.
They've already dropped lots of league points, gone out of a cup to a small struggling premier side, squeaked by on penalties in another one against a Championship side and been routinely humiliated in Europe's consolation tournament.

The desperation comes in Willy entertaining the idea that this side might now go an incredible winning run.  The pitiful bit comes in the fact that you've joined in.

That isn’t really what I said though is it. Is it inconceivable that Celtic could win their 3 games in hand? They had just won six league games straight going into Saturday’s game.
Would it be SO far fetched to believe that they could win both remaining fixtures against Rangers? Granted the October defeat was more like a bounce game, but they could easily have taken the spoils yesterday. I think the honest answer to both questions is No.

A gap of 4 points rather than 19, clearly becomes bridgeable, taking into account that BOTH sides will drop points between now and the end of the campaign.
Yes, the odds are hugely stacked in Rangers favour, but it seems SG prefers to err on the side of caution and some of the Rangers fans on this forum too. Rangers may have recovered from the shock LC exit to St Mirren, but a defeat at Pittodrie next Sunday would have similar reverberations.

Lunacy doesn’t come in to it, pragmatism does.

22 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

That isn’t really what I said though is it. Is it inconceivable that Celtic could win their 3 games in hand? They had just won six league games straight going into Saturday’s game.
Would it be SO far fetched to believe that they could win both remaining fixtures against Rangers? Granted the October defeat was more like a bounce game, but they could easily have taken the spoils yesterday. I think the honest answer to both questions is No.

A gap of 4 points rather than 19, clearly becomes bridgeable, taking into account that BOTH sides will drop points between now and the end of the campaign.
Yes, the odds are hugely stacked in Rangers favour, but it seems SG prefers to err on the side of caution and some of the Rangers fans on this forum too. Rangers may have recovered from the shock LC exit to St Mirren, but a defeat at Pittodrie next Sunday would have similar reverberations.

It’s inconceivable that all those things would happen. Which it would need to for Celtic to stand any chance. there is nothing pragmatic about making a case for Celtic winning the league. 

22 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

No they hadn’t?

Draw: Hibs

Draw: St Johnstone

Win: Kilmarnock

Win: Ross County

Win: Hamilton

Win: Dundee United

That last game being your only win against a top 6 side since...the 3-0 game against Hibs at the end of October? would have to look at the table for where St Johnstone were but it’s around then.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

so how come all these teams aren't taking points off this ordinary side

You think the gap between Celtic and sevco and the rest of the teams in the league has grown.
It doesn't take much to drop points in any given game,I think you underestimate the rest of the league.
Playing teams 3 or 4 times a season isn't easy, we know Livvy and Hibs have caused sevco problems.
Aberdeen haven't had the chance this season yet because of team selection,Killie will always be a tough place to go.
Celtic dropped 8 points in their invincible season,sevco have dropped 4 so far, it took over one hundred years for that to happen I can't see it happening twice.
As it stands I think we will get to the split with the title still up for grabs.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Sorry mate, but it does require lunacy to see this title as anything other than over.

You'd need a complete reversal in everything we've thus far seen in both teams.  You're requiring all of these individually conceivable events to happen together.  They won't.

Anyway, the point is that you replied to my mockery of the desperation in Willy's post where he took solace in the fact that if his deeply flawed team suddenly started winning all of its matches, sustaining it for ages, they'd still be more than a win behind Rangers.

Mocking him made (always makes) sense.  Your support of his stance is equally bonkers.

What we have learned about this Rangers team over the last few years is as soon as there is any sign of silverware they choke.

Hearts in the Scottish cup last year, Celtic in the League Cup, Saints in the League Cup this season and the second half of last years league campaign. Plus numerous failed cup tournaments prior. They just can’t do it when the pressure is on.

If this was a side that had proven ability to win titles then it would be over. It’s not though and they’re more than capable of bottling this. Not saying I think that will happen but they aren’t home and dry by any means. Will all depend on how they react to their first league defeat.

No they hadn’t?
Draw: Hibs
Draw: St Johnstone
Win: Kilmarnock
Win: Ross County
Win: Hamilton
Win: Dundee United
That last game being your only win against a top 6 side since...the 3-0 game against Hibs at the end of October? would have to look at the table for where St Johnstone were but it’s around then.

My apologies, six unbeaten plus a draw in the cup final and a rare European win over Lille, a string of results suggesting they had just about turned the corner after the Ross County cup exit. It’s a huge points gap, but there will undoubtedly be twists and turns to come.

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

What we have learned about this Rangers team over the last few years is as soon as there is any sign of silverware they choke.

Hearts in the Scottish cup last year, Celtic in the League Cup, Saints in the League Cup this season and the second half of last years league campaign. Plus numerous failed cup tournaments prior. They just can’t do it when the pressure is on.

If this was a side that had proven ability to win titles then it would be over. It’s not though and they’re more than capable of bottling this. Not saying I think that will happen but they aren’t home and dry by any means. Will all depend on how they react to their first league defeat.

This is maybe the only thing that gives hope for optimism is that like their undead cousins the werewolf they do seem to a little allergic to silver.

Joking aside though i do believe Rangers will drop enough points to open the door but I don’t trust this current Celtic side to not also drop points. 

Edited by Jinky67

21 minutes ago, Lex said:

With all due respect, the choking stuff is nonsense isn't it.

A team of chokers doesn't progress consistently through European knockout competitions.

Last year was a consequence of being over-reliant on Morelos and not having the ability to replace him when he was off-form, as well as injuries to other key players. Celtic in the League Cup was a match we absolutely dominated and got unlucky in. St Mirren this season was a game we rotated too heavily for and St Mirren threw something at us we were completely unprepared for.

People absolutely love narratives like these in football but by and large, most of them are rubbish.