Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

Morelos, Barisic, Kamara and Kent are the Rangers players you'll make a good fee on in the next two windows, should you want to. Joe Aribo will probably join them in the two windows after that.

Rangers and Celtic aren't in terribly different financial positions. Both make losses every year in their everyday operations. Celtic cover that shortfall through player sales, CL groups or burning through the cash they have in the bank. Rangers have covered it through shareholder debt for equity write-offs until now, and the stated aim is to change that and cover them through player sales or CL groups. Now that Celtic have had a season of burning through that cash in the bank (given no player sales or CL groups), that option probably isn't available to them any more.

So what happens if Rangers win the league, Celtic flog the players we mentioned above and Rangers sell one of Morelos/Kamara/Barisic/Kent? Assuming neither team makes the CL next year (a fair assumption given how difficult that is), then the potential automatic CL group qualification spot for next years winners becomes huge. Rangers will be going into that with a settled team that's just won a title, and Celtic will be in the midst of a rebuild. Rangers would be favourites to retain the league and with it, automatic CL qualification.

That wouldn't just close the financial gap, it would flip it. That's the roadmap for Rangers.

Quite a few ifs and buts here m9.

Just now, gannonball said:

We aren’t being run terribly, our success on and off the pitch proves that.
The protesters initially wanted Lennon out (there was no sack the board banners just Lennon to go) . However the board then basically went against the fans and had barriers put up, and basically said they are sticking with Lennon to spite the fans. If Lennon had been binned after either Prague game there would have been no board protests. 

But the only reason that Lennon got the job is because Lawwell doesn't have a clue how to run a football department.

I have to admit, I didn't expect Celtic fans to defend Peter Lawwell's running of the football department. I thought it was pretty universally agreed that he is terrible at it. But I'm more than happy for him to retain control of it...

Just now, G51 said:

But the only reason that Lennon got the job is because Lawwell doesn't have a clue how to run a football department.

I have to admit, I didn't expect Celtic fans to defend Peter Lawwell's running of the football department. I thought it was pretty universally agreed that he is terrible at it. But I'm more than happy for him to retain control of it...

In your opinion. The trophys would suggest otherwise, His disgusting bonuses would suggest otherwise, our accounts would suggest otherwise.

For the record I hate the smug p***k but he can run a football club he's just got too big for his boots. But to suggest he doesn’t have a clue is frankly ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Quite a few ifs and buts here m9.

Such is life when you're trying to predict the future though. None of us can predict what will happen, only theorize.

I'm just saying that it doesn't take much for everything to change. There's a chance that Celtic will be paying through the nose for years of poor recruitment in 18 months time.

Just now, gannonball said:

In your opinion. The trophys would suggest otherwise, His disgusting bonuses would suggest otherwise, our accounts would suggest otherwise.

For the record I hate the smug p***k but he can run a football club he's just got too big for his boots. But to suggest he doesn’t have a clue is frankly ridiculous.

To be clear, Lawwell can run the commercial and business side of a football club no problem at all. There's no doubting that. Desmond instructs him on how to run it and he manages it every year without a problem. He's an accountant and he's good at that.

But there's no doubt when it comes to the actual football side of things, such as hiring and firing managers, staff and players, that he really isn't very good at it. The evidence is the track record of signing players since 2016 when John Park left and the managers he's hired (remembering that Rodgers was recruited by Desmond personally). The more he involves himself in this side of things, the worse Celtic do. And right now he's running the whole show.

Said it on here many a time but Lawell is on a mission to run Celtic as cheaply as he can to generate profits so he can reap obscene bonuses. It looks like he has gambled once too often this year with this mentality which I would assume any sensible Celtic fan would never forgive him if that comes to pass. Provides great entertainment for us non OF types no matter how it pans out.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

It seems there are some convinced that Edouard should’ve been sent off yesterday but with the SFA offices now closed, any retrospective punishment won’t come into play until after Saturday’s game 😂

Retrospective punishment won’t arrive as Edouard won the ball, carry on.  

33 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I’ve not even seen the tackle so I can’t really comment, I was more laughing at the thought the SFA being unable to apply any retrospective action ahead of the game on Saturday.

49 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

We were told with Ryan Jack and some sheep  player that winning the ball didn't matter, this will obviously be different. 

Luckily for you lot, sportscene forgot to cover it.

29 minutes ago, bennett said:

We were told with Ryan Jack and some sheep  player that winning the ball didn't matter, this will obviously be different. 

Luckily for you lot, sportscene forgot to cover it.

Cover what, Celtic’s 2nd goal?? 

Wait, Did you actually watch sportscene and miss the blatant red card offence even though they showed it?? That was lucky for us.  

Edited by Drew Brees

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Watching the highlights now, is this the tackle in the build up to our second goal?  Or am I missing something? Didn’t even notice it when watching it live as Im struggling to see whats wrong with it.

Ye, this red card offence. 
https://streamable.com/iyj6r7

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Ye, this red card offence. 
https://streamable.com/iyj6r7

f**k me, If it was on the other foot I would be embarrassed if our fans were greeting about that. Also for a guy who ‘isn't interested’  according to somebody on here Eddie had a very decent game yesterday even with a couple of misses. He’s s  starting to use his strength more so in the past few games too.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

f**k me, If it was on the other foot I would be embarrassed if our fans were greeting about that. Also for a guy who ‘isn't interested’  according to somebody on here Eddie had a very decent game yesterday even with a couple of misses. He’s s  starting to use his strength more so in the past few games too.

If it was on the other foot you'd be demanding retrospective action.