Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Obviously, Willy is absolutely on fire, providing great entertainment with his absurdist performance.

I don't quite get point no4 though.  Fantastically rewarding as his self serving drivel is, I don't see him as quite as responsible for Celtic's spectacular underachievement as Lawell and Lennon.

The point is there are a number of Willys out there, Neil Lennon apologists who blindly refuse to acknowledge that he is the wrong man to take the club forward and still unwilling to bend in their resolute defence of him, heads firmly planted in the sand while the team regresses and somehow want to defend our poor European performances and our now 19 point gap to Rangers as a blip. While this support for Lennon continues, so does he 

27 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

All these months later and still some thick journo is struggling to grasp that the bed was shat this time last year and did the job for Celtic.

“outfoxed” ffs 😄

Thought the same when I read this earlier, rangers collapse last season was nothing to do with Lennon, and celtics collapse this season has nothing to do with Gerrard. Both self inflicted. 

Just now, Drew Brees said:

Thought the same when I read this earlier, rangers collapse last season was nothing to do with Lennon, and celtics collapse this season has nothing to do with Gerrard. Both self inflicted. 

I think it's worth noting that both Rangers and Celtic for this season and last season are much, much further ahead of the other teams in the Premiership than we were even in the late noughties.

In 07/08, Celtic won the league with 89 points. Celtic could easily with 89 points this year and they haven't been in the title race since November. It doesn't take very much for either side to have a collapse these days.

At some point, both teams are going to have to come back closer to the rest of the chasing pack.

10 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I think you're over cooking the difference between the sides tbh. Celtic were very good in the first half, that's 45  minutes. Gerrard changed his side and the game completely changed so much so that Celtic had a man sent off, should most likely have been two and Rangers were comfortable for 45 minutes. 

The stats back that up, the only 'luck' Rangers got was that a Celtic player decided to poke one into his own sides net. I'd say that's more fucking stupidity then luck though. 

I think you're underplaying it. Not really sure how comfortable the 45 minutes were when Celtic had multiple legitimate scoring chances in the final 15 minutes down a man. And Rangers were damn lucky they weren't trailing at halftime.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

I think you're underplaying it. Not really sure how comfortable the 45 minutes were when Celtic had multiple legitimate scoring chances in the final 15 minutes down a man. And Rangers were damn lucky they weren't trailing at halftime.

Can you describe these "multiple legitimate scoring chances", please? It's just that, Celtic had 3 shots on target in 90 minutes. 3 of those 3 chances came in the first half. I can't remember McGregor having to make a single save in the second 45, that's most likely because - as the stats show - he never had a shot to save. Unless you're counting Christie and Rogic etc zipping 35 yarders over the stand as "legitimate scoring chances". 

Edited by Mr. Alli

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

It was a trip, nothing more.  At no point did he scissor tackle him.  There was a slight contact from the trailing leg but well after the initial trip.

Eh, if you kick someone  without the attempt of playing the ball is that not a red card?  It was an horrendous tackle/kick/lunge from an horrendous player. 

If he had done that on a Sunday morning pub league, he would have got his puss punch.  Fortunately for the pub league, I'm not sure he is at that level yet.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

A plague on both your houses.  I watched the game back on RTV - though I did scroll through chunks of it - and I'd say the following:

First half of the first half.  Celtic were top notch.  This is the first time I've watched them play since we humbled them in October and they looked transformed.  Not only better tactically but winning pretty-much every second ball.  This formation was not one I'd seen before and, at times, they had the freedom of Ibrox.  Only Greegsie and poor finishing kept us in the game.

Second half of the first half.  Celtic were still on the front foot.  Better in possession and faster to the ball.  Our front three of Roofe, Kent and Alfie were starved of possession and our midfield were well off the pace and I was never happier to hear the HT whistle at 0-0.  Not, though, that our goal was really threatened much in that period.

First half of the second half.  Taking off Roofe and bringing on Hagi was a bold move.  I I expected Kent to be the player coming off but it worked.  This is why Stevie G is our manager and I am posting on a message board at 03.00.  This quarter made the game much more a 50/50 with neither team doing that much.  Then the moment that changed the match.  No, not the sending off- deserved though it was - but daft wee Lhenny hooking Turnbull and Griffiths - Celtic's most effective players - and replacing them with Elyounoussi and The Londonderry Mare.  On such poor decisions are OF games lost and won.

Second half of the second half.  We scored.  Hoorah.  It wasn't against the run of play as some have suggested as, by that time, Celtic had run out of gas and ideas.  Big Ced had a chance to make it 2-0 but his shot on the turn went over the bar.  The last 15 minutes were a bit of a procession and Celtic, having subbed their best players, were toothless.

So if I looked at the game over the first 45 minutes I'd have changed my avatar to a Dick Turpin mask.  Looking at it over 90?  We got away with one to an extent but 1-0 wasn't really robbery.

Edited by The_Kincardine

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

Mr Alli really struggling to keep his ‘Dundee fan’ persona in check here.

He’s your nor’easter MJC.

What's this, about the 20th time in three days? 

You've taken me pointing out your skuttling really, really badly Lex. Never mind, one day you'll deal with the truth like a big boy. x. 

7 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

The point is there are a number of Willys out there, Neil Lennon apologists who blindly refuse to acknowledge that he is the wrong man to take the club forward and still unwilling to bend in their resolute defence of him, heads firmly planted in the sand while the team regresses and somehow want to defend our poor European performances and our now 19 point gap to Rangers as a blip. While this support for Lennon continues, so does he 

It didn't look much like Lennon was being kept in place by the support of fans after the Ross County cup tie.

Surely everyone just laughs at the likes of Willy outside of here too?

:lol: This is magnificent desperation.

It's the start of January FFS.

There’s still half of the season to go, is it really beyond the realms of possibility for Celtic to win their 3 games in hand and both remaining OF games to level the series this season between the two sides? On yesterday’s showing perhaps not.
Yes, Rangers would also need to drop points but a four point gap wouldn’t look so daunting and certainly not insurmountable.

As for the game itself Rangers weathered the storm in the first half yesterday, but regained composure in the 2nd. Most neutrals I believe would just have easily have accepted a yellow for Bitton as they did the sending off. Celtic seemed to be running out of ideas by then anyway. As mentioned above, as soon as Lennon pulled Griffiths and Turnbull the game was up. Brown brings his nuisance value these days that is all, Duffy is absolutely hopeless, surely a sigh of quiet satisfaction from most Rangers supporters to see em both coming onto the park.
Rangers didn’t fire up yesterday, but did enough, like all decent sides to grind out a result, albeit against 10 men for the final third of the game. SG says that Rangers will ignore any ‘title noise’ at this stage, he know’s the score, there’s still a long way to go.

39 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

There’s still half of the season to go, is it really beyond the realms of possibility for Celtic to win their 3 games in hand and both remaining OF games to level the series this season between the two sides? On yesterday’s showing perhaps not.
Yes, Rangers would also need to drop points but a four point gap wouldn’t look so daunting and certainly not insurmountable.

As for the game itself Rangers weathered the storm in the first half yesterday, but regained composure in the 2nd. Most neutrals I believe would just have easily have accepted a yellow for Bitton as they did the sending off. Celtic seemed to be running out of ideas by then anyway. As mentioned above, as soon as Lennon pulled Griffiths and Turnbull the game was up. Brown brings his nuisance value these days that is all, Duffy is absolutely hopeless, surely a sigh of quiet satisfaction from most Rangers supporters to see em both coming onto the park.
Rangers didn’t fire up yesterday, but did enough, like all decent sides to grind out a result, albeit against 10 men for the final third of the game. SG says that Rangers will ignore any ‘title noise’ at this stage, he know’s the score, there’s still a long way to go.

The only way Celtic have an earthly chance of getting even close to Rangers this season is by emptying Lennon forthwith, somehow finding another Brendan Rodgers and throwing money at the side AND then hoping it works almost straight away. That's simply not going to happen.

For one thing, I can't see Rangers losing two games to the other sides in the run, I certainly can't see Lennon's gutless outfit winning every single remaining game and there's absolutely no way that Celtic side is winning the next two OF games. Rangers will have mathematically won it by the end of March. If anything Celtic are far more likely to lose/draw some of their games in hand. 

11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The only way Celtic have an earthly chance of getting even close to Rangers this season is by emptying Lennon forthwith, somehow finding another Brendan Rodgers and throwing money at the side AND then hoping it works almost straight away. That's simply not going to happen.

For one thing, I can't see Rangers losing two games to the other sides in the run, I certainly can't see Lennon's gutless outfit winning every single remaining game and there's absolutely no way that Celtic side is winning the next two OF games. Rangers will have mathematically won it by the end of March. If anything Celtic are far more likely to lose/draw some of their games in hand. 

"f****** glorious", to use your pet phrase.