QOS vs Ayr United

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This. I dislike the likes of Dunfermline and Morton more than teams like Stranraer and QOS. 

Aye, its a very subjective thing isn't it?  Clearly if you live in Ayr and support AU then there's only ever going to be one real derby and that's with Killie who are what ...... only about 20 miles up the road?

In my school days living near Dumfries and supporting QOS then the choices for "derby type" matches were very limited - Stranraer (about 75 miles), Ayr (about 60 miles), Hamilton (about 60 miles) and Berwick (about 100 miles maybe) - and of those of course Stranraer were our normal Ne'er Day derby (Ayr were a fairly constant and quality top league side back then).  Ayr, Hamilton and Berwick fans I'm sure didn't really give a toss about games with QOS (just another game).  Things got more complicated when Gr*tna (about 25 miles away) flirted with reality for a few years and of course Annan (at about 20 miles away) have now joined the league - but I don't think we've been in the same division since Annan joined.

NB - in case there are any pedants/stattos out there - I've just guessed at the distances. 😏

Any chance this game will be off tomorrow? Know it's AstroTurf but they can still create a sheet of ice and turn into an ice rink, caused one your games to be postponed last season or one before I believe.

Was a concern McCardle had in his interview yesterday about game possibly being off

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Any chance this game will be off tomorrow? Know it's AstroTurf but they can still create a sheet of ice and turn into an ice rink, caused one your games to be postponed last season or one before I believe.

Was a concern McCardle had in his interview yesterday about game possibly being off

The forecast for tomorrow is for sunshine from early morning. As long as that is the case, I believe, it should be fine as the top layer of frost will melt in the sun.

21 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I can see your point here Pandarilla ....... but when you factor in that (from the look of our very limited squad recruitment) our chairman would have set out for AJ his budget for the season (and most probably an ultra cautious one based on having no fans in through the gate this season) in the first place, and it's also probably highly unlikely that it allowed any contingency for a mid-season sacking of the manager, then it would be no surprise for AJ to skate through to the end of the season untouched.  I've said before in other threads that this season is completely unusual and from a QOS club perspective it has all the look of .........well, so what if we go down - at least we will have survived financially.  So I'd suggest that perhaps the normal expectations and practices for a manager don't appear to apply (at least to QOS) this season.

That said, apart from our games against Alloa and Arbroath which must be in the absolutely "don't lose" category, then you would think that the only other likely sides where Queens could conceivably sneak points this season should be from Morton or Ayr and hoping that those sides aren't really up for it on the day (like Raith the other night).  Ayr should win this, but I never learn and so I'm going to allow myself a faint glimmer of hope pre-kick off.

Strangely, out of all our games this season I'd actually say Queens (with the exception of Hearts) actually gave us the toughest time, despite us sneaking the win and actually losing / drawing some of our other games.

We have a terrible record at Palmerston, we're not playing well and Queens had that great result in midweek but of course have had poor results in recent weeks, so really, who  knows ???

Interesting match preview from QOS website

"Tomorrow we welcome ‘local’ rivals Ayr United to Palmerston for the second meeting between the sides this year."

"We know we need to start winning our home games and will be looking to start that against Ayr United. Although we still won’t have fans in the ground, it’s a local derby which always adds a little bit of spice."

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:

This reminds me a bit of Brighton vs Crystal Palace which is supposedly a derby yet they're 60 miles apart lol

Who exactly says Brighton v Palace is a derby?

ETA - I googled it. Its called the A23 derby because the two clubs are at either ends of the A23. So nothing like this, we cant even call it the A76 derby

Edited by Mr X

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Who exactly says Brighton v Palace is a derby?

ETA - I googled it. Its called the A23 derby because the two clubs are at either ends of the A23. So nothing like this, we cant even call it the A76 derby

That’s like saying Ayr and Rangers are the M77 derby :lol:

When you see teams like Villa/Birmingham/West Brom/Wolves etc all class each games as derbies it just all seems meaningless to me. 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

The forecast for tomorrow is for sunshine from early morning. As long as that is the case, I believe, it should be fine as the top layer of frost will melt in the sun.

Then we must take every precaution - like watering the pitch tonight and covering it over in the morning.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

This reminds me a bit of Brighton vs Crystal Palace which is supposedly a derby yet they're 60 miles apart lol

Is that not a rivalry because they were both trying to get promoted at the same time in the 70s, rather than a regional thing?  Eta I thought I’d read something about it on the BBC website, but there are a few other articles online, including this from Sky Sports.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11658787/why-are-crystal-palace-and-brighton-rivals-its-more-history-than-geography

Edited by Flash

16 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

That’s like saying Ayr and Rangers are the M77 derby :lol:

When you see teams like Villa/Birmingham/West Brom/Wolves etc all class each games as derbies it just all seems meaningless to me. 

I suppose what makes a "derby" is the fans and how they perceive their rivals. Coming from North Ayrshire and knowing and working with lots of St Mirren and Morton fans, it always made these matches feel much more special to me than perhaps to someone who lived / worked in Ayr.

In the era of social media and of course P & B it probably nullifies much of the localised "banter", "getting one over your mates" as now we all communicate with each other regularly rather than just the supporters of the sides immediately local to your own.

Anyway, let's get stuck right in tae each other ra morra derby or no derby and get a right guid game !!

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Any word from the Land of Galloway whether the game is likely to go ahead?  Before I buy the stream..?

QOS twitter account still advertising the game 2 hours ago .....

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
18 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:
I entered last week's virtual  50/50 Half-time time draw as it was advertised on the Official Site and in Palmerston Patter in D&G Standard,  only to discover afterwards that no draw was made during the Dundee game. Is it worth entering for the draw this week or is there not going to be one,  although it is again being advertised. I realise that other events following the Dundee game may have overshadowed this. 

They're maybe saving the money for their fine.

I don't want any money of mine being used to pay for their stupidity. I suppose using it to pay the wages of  some of the players they've signed amounts to the same thing though.