St Johnstone vs Hamilton 30/12

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Bin this formation at home. It's just dire and infuriating. Fine away from home but have to be braver at home.

The thing is, and I'm quoting this but the general point is being made consistently in the few posts I've caught up with above, we created 30 shooting opportunities today. Not many were totally speculative either. In terms of that, everything went to plan but the manager can't swing their legs for them. 

I get folk are frustrated but in simple terms, you have 30 shots at goal, you should never, ever be failing to win a game of football. The manager has done his part and the players let him down today. 

And what on earth is the craic with Melamed. Surely has to be shipped out in January as this is just wasting everyone's time.

Callum can't legislate for players missing absolute sitters like that.  Still, who is telling May to wallow out on the left for much of the match while Kane is doing nothing much in the box? Not sure of the point of the substitutions so late on – both subs had poor first touches which can't be unexpected.

And I do wonder just how bad Melamed is if Kane is getting 90 minutes ahead of him? Kane has good workrate and ran himself silly, but the header he missed was almost comical.

On the plus side, we were far, far better than Accies. Great game from Easton though.

Edited by Mr Heliums

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

10 years as a top flight side is good going tbf, shame it looks over now.

Manager turning into one of those shit ones obsessed with their "philosophy", plus a loyalty to shit attackers that tracks back to TWs time, costing us yet again.

It is good going. This team shouldn't be finishing bottom though, shouldn't even be a consideration IMO.

Offering the opinion of a neutral that nobody asked for...

Thought it was an entertaining game. St Johnstone should've won quite comfortably but for a very wasteful front line. I was surprised to see May hooked instead of Kane as well.

Hamilton worthy of the point though with their endeavour and could've nicked it themselves with a bit more composure. 

If both teams could find a reliable source of goals for the rest of the season then I think you'll be okay. Although most strikers in the league seem to be struggling this year so where that's going to come from is anyone's guess

The thing is, and I'm quoting this but the general point is being made consistently in the few posts I've caught up with above, we created 30 shooting opportunities today. Not many were totally speculative either. In terms of that, everything went to plan but the manager can't swing their legs for them. 
I get folk are frustrated but in simple terms, you have 30 shots at goal, you should never, ever be failing to win a game of football. The manager has done his part and the players let him down today. 
And what on earth is the craic with Melamed. Surely has to be shipped out in January as this is just wasting everyone's time.
No you are spot on with what you said. I just think after 30 mins the manager could have been braver and changed things up and got us another player to influence the final third. Too scared to change from his script.

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
8 minutes ago, Radford said:

No you are spot on with what you said. I just think after 30 mins the manager could have been braver and changed things up and got us another player to influence the final third. Too scared to change from his script.

Fortune favours the brave.

Callum is a wimp.

I've been guilty to harking on about past performances and vowed to stop doing it (from the point of view of believing they were positive) but a lot of you guys are now doing the same in a negative sense. 

Look at today in isolation. We created enough chances (and enough good ones - we'll see how many are scored about the 0.20xG that @RandomGuy. talks about) to easily win that match today. Yes we gave away some glaring opportunities but I don't see much criticism of the defensive aspect of the performance, so in terms of the attack, did the manager's tactics really hinder us?

His subs were maybe questionable again but I'm exasperated at the players, not Callum Davidson. 

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:
3 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think he's either unable to think on his feet or he'd rather just fall on his sword than change his preferred system. 

I definitely think we left it far too late to change it. The second time Rooney was allowed to rampage forward into their box with no challenge was the signal for me that that was the avenue to attack and that we needed to get Conway or MOH on. Leaving Kane on was baffling. If Melamed isn’t worth bringing on in that game then let’s ship him out on January 1 and try to bring someone in that is worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It is good going. This team shouldn't be finishing bottom though, shouldn't even be a consideration IMO.

Hard to argue, but at the same time, Kane/MOH have underperformed for years now, Conway was poor for Salford, Wotherspoon is inconsistent, Hendry was never matching last season, and Melamed is a total unknown. 

We rely on May bagging regular goals, something he's done for about 3 months since leaving us 6 years ago, and he's now into his bad habit of thinking he's useful 40 yards from goal on the left flank.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

we'll see how many are scored about the 0.20xG that @RandomGuy. talks about) 

At a guess it'll only be O'Hallorans at the end. Kanes header might be, but headers are lower than most people expect.

I didn't see the whole match though so maybe missed one.

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

I've been guilty to harking on about past performances and vowed to stop doing it (from the point of view of believing they were positive) but a lot of you guys are now doing the same in a negative sense. 

Look at today in isolation. We created enough chances (and enough good ones - we'll see how many are scored about the 0.20xG that @RandomGuy. talks about) to easily win that match today. Yes we gave away some glaring opportunities but I don't see much criticism of the defensive aspect of the performance, so in terms of the attack, did the manager's tactics really hinder us?

His subs were maybe questionable again but I'm exasperated at the players, not Callum Davidson. 

I'm sorry but this isn't a problem in one game in isolation. We have scored 4 goals at home all season against top flight clubs... in 12 matches. We have played the back 5 in all 12 of those matches, played 2 just in front of the back 5 and either played 1 striker with 2 number 10s or 2 strikers with 1 number 10. We've dominated territory and possession in lots of those matches and been sucker punched or we've huffed and puffed and not really looked like scoring. It feels like Groundhog Day watching this shite every second week.

The manager has to take responsibility for carrying on with a shape that just doesn't work at home. I don't think our best players from last season are allowed to flourish and the opposition are quite happy just to let us arse about with the ball as they know we're unlikely to actually do anything with the ball.

The more I see the less convinced I am by Davidson, I must be honest. He panders to a brand of football I don't have any time for which doesn't help but his philiosophy doesn't suit our best players and he doesn't strike me as the type who is able (willing?) to try and fire up a reaction. 

Maybe we should bring in Tommy Wright 'up the stairs'.

Edited by Kyle

Of course the blame can't be attributed to one man only. To score 0 goals from 28 attempts is obviously unacceptable. But what are the reasons for this? Of course, there's a level of incompetence from the players. However, we are also persisting with a shape which the players aren't comfortable with and those players seem to have very little belief or confidence in themselves. Harsh as it sounds, it's the manager's job to try and instil that belief in his players during times of crisis. From what I've seen, Callum Davidson doesn't have the character to fire up a team when their backs are against the wall and he refuses to adapt.

14 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's the same performance as about 10 others this season so a bit hard to look at it in isolation. Did the managers decisions hinder us? Of course they did. 

I think why him and the Broons get on so well is that they're glass half empty, play it safe kind of folk. Lot of boring pish if you ask me. Boring boring pish. If he can't see this then we are fucked and good luck in trying to get folk through the turnstiles to watch that game after game. Shite from top to bottom, they're all useless c***s.

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's both though surely? If the finishers aren't firing, use what you have on the bench. MOH and Melamed should have been brought on at time when they might actually have made an impact on the game, this bringing on subs at the last gasp is hopeless and it's been CD's signature since he joined. O'Halloran will get stick for that near post miss but he was on, what, 3 minutes? 

May should have stayed on, Wotherspoon should have stayed on. 

Yes, the system created chances but it was against a team sitting in and inviting the chances.