Have you been annoyed by the attendance of a 'famous' person at one of your games?

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Hearts also composed a poem to welcome Bolton which I quote here in its full "glory":

THE HAPPY WANDERERS

The Wanderers from Bolton way, are famous for their skill.
They know a thousand tricks of play, and use them with a will.
Ure-a-lay-ee! URE-A-LAY-EE!
They use them with a will.

So let us sing a yodelling song, to welcome to our town.
The Wanderers of fame so strong, who never let us down.
They never let us down.

We'd like the local team to win, that's always understood.
But we can take it on the chin, since Bolton are so good.
Since Bolton are so good.

So Wanderers, you're welcome here, as anywhere you roam.
And may it be with happy cheer, that you go Wandering home.
As you go Wandering home!

4SEBtlI.gif

1 minute ago, Ric said:

4SEBtlI.gif

To my horror this wasn't unique at Tynecastle.

Edinburgh v Birmingham in 1956:

To Edinburgh's opening game, some famous teams have come.
But none more welcome ever came, than these brave lads from Brum.
These lads who nearly won the Cup, made things last season hum.
The skill and sport that they kept up, brought dazzling fame to Brum.

Their city, second in the land, in trade is far from dumb.
Its sparkling gems and glass expand, the brilliance that is Brum.
And so we bid them welcome here, with sound of pipe and drum.
And give this Midland club a cheer - the braw, braw lads of Brum.

v Liverpool in 1958:

With Hearts and Hibs today combined, old rivals in one team entwined, we hail the Liverpudlian friends, who help our charitable ends.
Tom Williams, from the Mersey town, in soccer circles holds renown, and with his colleagues in the club, brings credit to that seaport hub.
As Lancashire did, long ago, when soccer first became a show, more honours in the game to notch, he's  laced his local brew with Scotch.
'Twixt Forth and Mersey one may think, of many another friendly link, and Scotland's capital to-day, a "gradely" welcome will display.

v Chelsea in 1960:

Our charming Chelsea "chinas" come, the lads who rally at "Drake's drum".
To face Armadas of today, with hearts of oak and sprightly play.
By shades of sweet Nell Gwynne inspired, they serve us with the sport desired.
No "pensioners" of ancient time, but young and bold and in their prime.

Thomas Carlyle, a writing Scot, put Chelsea on the map a lot.
But good old soccer's "Chelsea sages", add footnotes now to history's pages.
With England's season drawing near, we welcome "Chelsea chinas" here.
And, grateful for their helpful zest, we wish them warmly - all the best.

v Burnley in 1962:

How generous of the Burnley club, to come to Scotland's ancient hub, and give us their wholehearted play, to start the season on its way!
A tonic such as doctors order, they're welcome back across the border, to gambol on Tynecastle's field, with all the thrills the game can yield.
After this football-loving nation, has suffered drought and night-starvation, they open, for the Land of Clans, the stuff to give the soccer fans.
Great entertainment we expect, from Burnley and our own Select.
They break at last the football pause.
And do it in a real good cause.

1 hour ago, Drewmc said:

At the time Robbie Keane was on loan to Celtic, we had a home game, I think, against Kilmarnock. There were security personnel and police the length of Kerrydale Street stopping folk crossing. I was one of those stopped from trying to get to my seat in the west side of the main stand. I was at the top of the street ...closest to the stadium. A few of us kept asking why we couldn’t cross and were told it was because a VIP was arriving......and we would be in bother if we tried to break the line. Various suggestions about who it could be.....politicians etc. (Not royalty, obviously). We were held for about 5 minutes and then 2 blacked out SUVs roared up the street and the security /polis started shouting ‘everybody stay back”’ etc. The vehicles stopped and from the first one emerged Ronan effing  Keating. From the second emerged his family. 

Keating was about 5 yards from me, preening himself expecting the adulation of the crowd....which was mostly guys over 50 like me. There was stunned silence with a few questions of ‘who the eff is that?’. I pointed at him and asked the policewoman next to me if we had genuinely been stopped from crossing the street ‘because of that bloody no mark?’.  She replied, not quite getting the point, ‘Oh yes he is famous and I think he is lovely’.

Keating was looking over and had obviously heard the exchange so I told him that if he had just walked up Kerrydale Street none of us would have bothered our backsides about him. (How I kept it clean with no swearing I will never know). 

No wonder some of these people get an exaggerated idea of their importance.  He ended up doing the usual half time appearance but thankfully didn’t sing.  

50,000 men, boys, women and girls sing Irish songs every fortnight and the club go ahead and invite a famous Irish singer to join you and you shit on it like that?

On the subject of the earlier mentioned Sean Connery, I was told upon his death by a couple of ladies at my work who had formerly worked in a posh hotel that he was indeed a free loading c**t.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

:o

That.. is.. stunning. Some astronomical levels of cringe there.

It was an improvement on Edinburgh v Newcastle at Tynecastle in 1950... when from 2:45pm the crowd engaged in community singing of "Westering Home" and "Down in the Glen"; led by Kenneth Macrae; accompanied by the massed bands of the Highland Light Infantry and the Edinburgh Corporation Transport Bus Department.

This was preceded by "the Scottish Country Dance Team of the Youth Hostels Association"...

... "a display by the Women's League of Health & Beauty - led by Carol Kerr Hunter"...

... and "Highland Dancing by the Jean Reynolds School".

Amy Macdonald eat your heart out.

Edited by HibeeJibee

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

To my horror this wasn't unique at Tynecastle.

Edinburgh v Birmingham in 1956:

To Edinburgh's opening game, some famous teams have come.
But none more welcome ever came, than these brave lads from Brum.
These lads who nearly won the Cup, made things last season hum.
The skill and sport that they kept up, brought dazzling fame to Brum.

Their city, second in the land, in trade is far from dumb.
Its sparkling gems and glass expand, the brilliance that is Brum.
And so we bid them welcome here, with sound of pipe and drum.
And give this Midland club a cheer - the braw, braw lads of Brum.

v Liverpool in 1958:

With Hearts and Hibs today combined, old rivals in one team entwined, we hail the Liverpudlian friends, who help our charitable ends.
Tom Williams, from the Mersey town, in soccer circles holds renown, and with his colleagues in the club, brings credit to that seaport hub.
As Lancashire did, long ago, when soccer first became a show, more honours in the game to notch, he's  laced his local brew with Scotch.
'Twixt Forth and Mersey one may think, of many another friendly link, and Scotland's capital to-day, a "gradely" welcome will display.

v Chelsea in 1960:

Our charming Chelsea "chinas" come, the lads who rally at "Drake's drum".
To face Armadas of today, with hearts of oak and sprightly play.
By shades of sweet Nell Gwynne inspired, they serve us with the sport desired.
No "pensioners" of ancient time, but young and bold and in their prime.

Thomas Carlyle, a writing Scot, put Chelsea on the map a lot.
But good old soccer's "Chelsea sages", add footnotes now to history's pages.
With England's season drawing near, we welcome "Chelsea chinas" here.
And, grateful for their helpful zest, we wish them warmly - all the best.

v Burnley in 1962:

How generous of the Burnley club, to come to Scotland's ancient hub, and give us their wholehearted play, to start the season on its way!
A tonic such as doctors order, they're welcome back across the border, to gambol on Tynecastle's field, with all the thrills the game can yield.
After this football-loving nation, has suffered drought and night-starvation, they open, for the Land of Clans, the stuff to give the soccer fans.
Great entertainment we expect, from Burnley and our own Select.
They break at last the football pause.
And do it in a real good cause.

I find those sort of things rather charming, a more innocent age in football terms at least, where "our guests" were always welcome "were friends and rivals" who would no doubt produce an "intruiging and enthralling contest".

Rangers' programmes from the late 40s to the mid sixties with their Wayside Pulpit style piece on the front page underneath the team lines, when they managed to both praise and patronise their opponents in the space of about 10 lines are particularly noteworthy.

Each to their own, of course.

16 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Has anyone mentioned the 1988 Cup Final yet? If not, then that. At 15 years old that might have been the first time my dad had heard me swear at the football. He did not demur from the message (although I can't recall if he actively participated).

It's literally the 3rd post... ^_^

At a New Year derby a few years ago at Easter Road, I was in hospitality (wife having bought it for my Christmas). Imagine my rage when I saw that most famous of Jambo celebrity, Ronnie Corbett, saunter into the seat directly in front of me as we took our seats for the game. I was raging as I couldn't see a fucking thing for the whole game.

He's not particularly famous but Alex Miller sometimes watches Edinburgh City. There aren't many embittered 1980s/90s Hibees in our support so we don't mind 

The only other celebrity I can remember at a City game was against BSC Glasgow at Lochburn Park- Sanjiv Kohli was supporting BSC as he was a pal of one of their board. He was upstaged as we got to meet our hero, King Victor Kasule, who was a BSC youth coach. Nae luck Naveed ya bawbag.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

His family hails from the area I believe. Certainly more believable than Cameron making a wild stab in the dark for a football team.

Gove is, of course, without question and utter c**t.

By his "family hails" you actually mean the c**t was born and raised here.

I think Mohammmed Al Fayed was at our games or at least he was going to.  He owns (or used to own) a castle and estate around here.  Around the time he was best friends with Michael Jackson.

The only other person that could court controversy would be Ian Blackford but can’t recall him ever going to a game. 

We seriously lack celebrity fans - Julie Fowlis, Tim Rice, and  Charles Kennedy are the only ones I can think of.  

1 hour ago, Joe Terrapin said:

At a New Year derby a few years ago at Easter Road, I was in hospitality (wife having bought it for my Christmas). Imagine my rage when I saw that most famous of Jambo celebrity, Ronnie Corbett, saunter into the seat directly in front of me as we took our seats for the game. I was raging as I couldn't see a fucking thing for the whole game.

peyOv7x.jpg

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think Mohammmed Al Fayed was at our games or at least he was going to.  He owns (or used to own) a castle and estate around here.  Around the time he was best friends with Michael Jackson.

The only other person that could court controversy would be Ian Blackford but can’t recall him ever going to a game. 

We seriously lack celebrity fans - Julie Fowlis, Tim Rice, and  Charles Kennedy are the only ones I can think of.  

I've certainly seen Ian Blackford in the away end at St Mirren, but I suspect the bulk of the home support wouldn't mind.

I remember being particularly annoyed as a young boy at some old c**t sitting in the main stand at Pittodrie a  few seats along from me and and my old man. Loads of press photographers on the pitch zooming in to him and everyone staring at him. 

Turns out it was Di Stefano on a scouting mission before the Cup Winners Cup final.

I had the last laugh though as he wasted his fucking time.