Coaching Carousel 20/21

lichtie23

37 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

There have definitely been improvements this year (and getting to .500 for the first time in too long shows that), but yes, the play calling has been very frustrating at times. The main one for me being how involved Hopkins was at times, he's the best receiver in the league and for some games went a full half with very little or no involvement. There were also frustrations on some fourth down calls, particularly early season when Murray was electric with his legs. He should have been trusted to make the couple of yards in those situations, but the ball was often handed off to Drake to fail to make the yardage. 

As I said though, there have been improvements, so he deserves to stay around, but I think having a proper OC next to him will help with those play calling issues. There are still holes in the roster on both sides of the ball, but not as many as there have been in the last few years. If he misses out on the playoffs again in 2021 then it should be time to show him the door.

I suppose the sweetener if he was sacked, would be being able to spend more time in that house which was shown during last seasons draft coverage. 😍

image.png.3a2e53c0303dcf9a941cfc914c15a4d4.png

Edited by BukyOHare

55 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

If he misses out on the playoffs again in 2021 then it should be time to show him the door.

We'll see. Rams and Seahawks wouldn't be taking a backward step anytime soon and throw in an injury free 49ers. That's 6 ultra competitive games straight off the bat. 

50 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We'll see. Rams and Seahawks wouldn't be taking a backward step anytime soon and throw in an injury free 49ers. That's 6 ultra competitive games straight off the bat. 

The 49ers under Shanahan have had one good (blip) season amongst a sea of trash.

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The 49ers under Shanahan have had one good (blip) season amongst a sea of trash.

Good point but they're a team with definite upside for next season. Joint 6th (with the Bills) in net yards per play last season despite having horrendous injuries throughout the team. 

Not wholly convinced they're all in on Garoppolo either. Might be another team in the Deshaun sweepstake! 😉

I don't know what their fans think but the front office seems one of the more switched on as well. Future very bright in my opinion. 

Bieniemy has apparently told the Texans he isn’t interested in the position and Eberflus from the Colts has turned them down, so this coaching search is going well 🙄

The new GM said to local media yesterday that Watson will be involved in the coaching search but the horse might have bolted on that one already tbh.

Seen the Carolina OC Brady heavily linked, thought they would go for Daboll from the Bills given his NE background and the fact he shares the same agent as the GM and Littlefingers Easterby, but there’s been no chat about him yet. Wouldn’t mind that hire at all if it does happen, Brady would scare me a lot given how young he is.

If it’s Mayo or McDaniels, then I reckon Watson and Watt will request trades and then it’s worst team in the league territory. 

Bieniemy has apparently told the Texans he isn’t interested in the position and Eberflus from the Colts has turned them down, so this coaching search is going well [emoji849]
The new GM said to local media yesterday that Watson will be involved in the coaching search but the horse might have bolted on that one already tbh.
Seen the Carolina OC Brady heavily linked, thought they would go for Daboll from the Bills given his NE background and the fact he shares the same agent as the GM and Littlefingers Easterby, but there’s been no chat about him yet. Wouldn’t mind that hire at all if it does happen, Brady would scare me a lot given how young he is.
If it’s Mayo or McDaniels, then I reckon Watson and Watt will request trades and then it’s worst team in the league territory. 

Trading Watt would be a good thing, he’s a massive c**t.

Chan Gailey IS gone from Miami after all.
I think they really need to get a QB 'guru' type in there, because from what I've seen of Tua his mechanics are terrible and he has no confidence in throwing at anybody who isn't totally wide open. I thought it was a joke when people started saying a few weeks ago that the Dolphins should think about QB with that Texans pick, but having watched him again the other night I can see why they might feel they have to.
Just seen this. Watching the games, it does seem that Tua holds the ball to long, won't throw down the field and wants wide open recievers, but apparently he has the highest percentage of attempts at tight window passes and Fitzpatrick is 2nd. This isn't surprising given that the Dolphins receiving core has the fewest yards of separation at the point of target in the NFL.

That's not to say that Tua is blameless, as he's not. He has had some really bad games, but I think the game plan for him (and Gailey) was don't lose the game by throwing interceptions and rely on the defense (who have been decent for most of the season) to come through for the team.

He still has a lot to prove, like can he lead the team downfield and make game winning drives, but I'm pretty sure that Grier/Flores aren't ready to give up on him yet.

TBH the whole of the offense was pretty poor this season. The O'line needs improving, we couldn't run the ball all year, the WR couldn't create any separation and the number of dropped passes was unreal (Grant was especially guilty of this). Only the TE unit can feel they played consistently well even though Gesicki was forced to play part of the season as a slot receiver.

Although we drafted Tua in the 1st round, the majority of drafts/ FA signings were focused on improving the defense and by and large it was pretty successful. This off season should be spent improving the offense. Give Tua some weapons and then let's see if he's good enough, but at least give him a chance.

For OC a lot of fans wanted Steve Sarkisian, but that ship has sailed, so we will just need to wait and see who gets the job, but whoever it is needs better players (and less injury prone players) than we currently have to make an impact.

Doug Pederson binned by the Eagles.....a bit surprising given only a few seasons from the Superbowl win but suppose a big regression in the QB play and sounds like ownership not convinced by his plan to turn around the team. 

Would not surprise me if he is back in work real quick.....with the Jets being linked for months already (saw talk of potential trade that is no longer needed) due to relationship with GM. Whats everyones thoughts? I would think it would be a decent hire. 

13 minutes ago, Stirlingblue said:

Doug Pederson binned by the Eagles.....a bit surprising given only a few seasons from the Superbowl win but suppose a big regression in the QB play and sounds like ownership not convinced by his plan to turn around the team. 

Would not surprise me if he is back in work real quick.....with the Jets being linked for months already (saw talk of potential trade that is no longer needed) due to relationship with GM. Whats everyones thoughts? I would think it would be a decent hire. 

As a fan of another NFC East side I am very unhappy at this news.   

Pederson's the type of retread who absolutely does deserve a second go around with another team. I wouldn't be surprised if lands in the right place and he goes on to be another Andy Reid/Belichick type who totally outperforms their first HC'ing stint.

A few Chargers commentators were saying a while back that in their opinion LAC should jump all over him in the unlikely event the Eagles decided to move on, so with the rumour being that they're leaning heavily towards an offensive-minded HC'ing hire it'll be interesting to see if they bring him in. The talk was they planned to interview 10-12 candidates, so far they're only just over half-way to that total.