Coaching Carousel 20/21

lichtie23

There's a lot of talk about the Chargers being interested in Jim Harbaugh, but I get what you mean about 'no college coaches'.

I don't pay any attention at all to college apart from watching a lot of individual player clips in the run up to the draft, so I have no idea about coaches themselves. I'm not generally a fan of hiring some of the more esoteric and quirky college coaches into the NFL, as I don't think they necessarily translate to the pro game all that well, Chip Kelly etc, but I'm not opposed to the prospect of Harbaugh coaching the Chargers. As much as he comes across as an objectionable arse in person, he's the 'type' of coach that I personally prefer, i.e. generally takes no shit, expects good fundamentals. There are a lot of bad teams in the NFL from year to year, so having a 'solid and stable' guy with a decent roster is a good start to winning more than half your games each year. The thing I've found most frustrating over the past 15 years is the number of games the Chargers drop to teams they really should be beating, so a return to a pragmatic, effective, but ultimately unexciting brand of football wouldn't be entirely unwelcomed. Watching the sort of team that can hang 30+ on anybody but also give up 30+ to some of the shittiest teams around gets boring and frustrating really quickly.

Eric Bienimy will get whatever job he wants IMO and could be announced as a HC somewhere by the end of the week. I’m pretty sure every team will request an interview with him. As the Chiefs have a bye I’m sure he can do that but I don’t know how that works with coach’s involved in this weeks games? Iv a feeling Salah will also have a job by the end of the week

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Eric Bienimy will get whatever job he wants IMO and could be announced as a HC somewhere by the end of the week. I’m pretty sure every team will request an interview with him. As the Chiefs have a bye I’m sure he can do that but I don’t know how that works with coach’s involved in this weeks games? Iv a feeling Salah will also have a job by the end of the week

The guys involved this week can't interview until their involvement finishes. No one can be announced until their involvement finishes either.

The guys involved this week can't interview until their involvement finishes. No one can be announced until their involvement finishes either.

I didn’t know about the being announced If still involved. So Bienimy won’t officially be announced but an agreement will be in place by the end of the week

Chargers have requested an interview with Robert Saleh
Oh, and apparently they've requested an interview with Titans OC Arthur Smith, for some reason :mellow:

I was listening to a podcast on my run last night and Arthur Smith has apparently got requests from every team looking for a new HC

Chan Gailey IS gone from Miami after all.

I think they really need to get a QB 'guru' type in there, because from what I've seen of Tua his mechanics are terrible and he has no confidence in throwing at anybody who isn't totally wide open. I thought it was a joke when people started saying a few weeks ago that the Dolphins should think about QB with that Texans pick, but having watched him again the other night I can see why they might feel they have to.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Chan Gailey IS gone from Miami after all.

I think they really need to get a QB 'guru' type in there, because from what I've seen of Tua his mechanics are terrible and he has no confidence in throwing at anybody who isn't totally wide open. I thought it was a joke when people started saying a few weeks ago that the Dolphins should think about QB with that Texans pick, but having watched him again the other night I can see why they might feel they have to.

I was one of those - but I been saying it from his first game.  But it's the only reason why you would bench Fitzpatrick for Tua at the time so it was obvious it was a tryout for Tua.  Obviously only Miami know if he passed.  Maybe with the change of OC he has, but it's a huge ask as unlikely Dolphins will be in this position for a while.  

What's clear from the candidates being interviewed is the difference in opinion from team to team in what they're looking for.

Marvin Lewis for example does not deserve to be back anywhere near a Head Coaching role in the year 2021 but it's all about opinions I suppose. 

For me there's a huge gulf in the head coaches out there. Best being the likes of Frank Reich, Andy Reid and Sean Payton and all the way down (in my opinion) to Pete Carroll and Kliff Kingsbury (of the guys still currently in jobs). How Anthony Lynn lasted as long as he did beggars belief.

Like our football there's no magic wand to success but surely you've got to give your team the best chance of success by first of all being positive and giving your team the best chance of winning week to week. It's a scoring, passing league. Consistently running the ball on 1st down is statistically just a huge no no, as is poor game management with your timeouts.

The successful head coaches make the best of the teams they have. Sure it helps when you have good teams and good players but their plays down to down are generally inventive and keep the opposition guessing. Pete Carroll for example has somehow decided that having Russell Wilson breaking all sorts of passing records and winning games comfortably is now gone in favour of a run first approach. If it ain't broke Pete.

Really interesting to see how Sean McVay matches up against him this weekend with potentially a back up quarterback (who played pretty well against Arizona last week after a nightmare start).

Kingsbury has somehow managed to nullify DeAndre Hopkins in the last few weeks and Kyler looked so frustrated as a result and he could be on a shaky peg next season if things dont start ticking up the way, especially in that Division which was so strong this year.

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

What's clear from the candidates being interviewed is the difference in opinion from team to team in what they're looking for.

Marvin Lewis for example does not deserve to be back anywhere near a Head Coaching role in the year 2021 but it's all about opinions I suppose. 

For me there's a huge gulf in the head coaches out there. Best being the likes of Frank Reich, Andy Reid and Sean Payton and all the way down (in my opinion) to Pete Carroll and Kliff Kingsbury (of the guys still currently in jobs). How Anthony Lynn lasted as long as he did beggars belief.

Like our football there's no magic wand to success but surely you've got to give your team the best chance of success by first of all being positive and giving your team the best chance of winning week to week. It's a scoring, passing league. Consistently running the ball on 1st down is statistically just a huge no no, as is poor game management with your timeouts.

The successful head coaches make the best of the teams they have. Sure it helps when you have good teams and good players but their plays down to down are generally inventive and keep the opposition guessing. Pete Carroll for example has somehow decided that having Russell Wilson breaking all sorts of passing records and winning games comfortably is now gone in favour of a run first approach. If it ain't broke Pete.

Really interesting to see how Sean McVay matches up against him this weekend with potentially a back up quarterback (who played pretty well against Arizona last week after a nightmare start).

Kingsbury has somehow managed to nullify DeAndre Hopkins in the last few weeks and Kyler looked so frustrated as a result and he could be on a shaky peg next season if things dont start ticking up the way, especially in that Division which was so strong this year.

Kingsbury's passing game coordinator has "retired". I'm hoping he changes his coaching structure and brings in a proper offensive coordinator to help him out.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Kingsbury's passing game coordinator has "retired". I'm hoping he changes his coaching structure and brings in a proper offensive coordinator to help him out.

I think he definitely needs to. For the success of the team and progression of his young QB. 

It’s interesting you guys saying this.

I thought the cards had come on well this season and did ok, but I was talking to a guy at work and he was saying fans around Arizona are desperate for him to be sacked. Can’t stand him and his play calling.

I did offer a swap with Shurmur but he said no.

Lynn lasted 4 seasons because his first two were perfectly on track, the third he got the benefit of doubt because of the usual slew of Chargers injuries, and the fourth because the Spanos family simply do not fire HC's during a season unless you're Kevin Gilbride and the entire organisation is in open revolt. Lynn was universally respected as a leader, motivator, and a human being, so had they fired him mid-season they may well have corrected some of the on-field issues, but I suspect the players would simply have quit and the results would have still have been as bad, if not worse. Injuries, as always, played havoc with the Chargers this year.

9 hours ago, steelmen said:

It’s interesting you guys saying this.

I thought the cards had come on well this season and did ok, but I was talking to a guy at work and he was saying fans around Arizona are desperate for him to be sacked. Can’t stand him and his play calling.

I did offer a swap with Shurmur but he said no.

There have definitely been improvements this year (and getting to .500 for the first time in too long shows that), but yes, the play calling has been very frustrating at times. The main one for me being how involved Hopkins was at times, he's the best receiver in the league and for some games went a full half with very little or no involvement. There were also frustrations on some fourth down calls, particularly early season when Murray was electric with his legs. He should have been trusted to make the couple of yards in those situations, but the ball was often handed off to Drake to fail to make the yardage. 

As I said though, there have been improvements, so he deserves to stay around, but I think having a proper OC next to him will help with those play calling issues. There are still holes in the roster on both sides of the ball, but not as many as there have been in the last few years. If he misses out on the playoffs again in 2021 then it should be time to show him the door.