Coaching Carousel 20/21

lichtie23

I can't say I know a huge amount about Robert Saleh, but he seems to be very highly respected and a leader of men. So pretty much night and day from what Gase was, who seemed to fall out with multiple players every season. Interested to see how the Jets tackle the draft now, with rumours that this will get Sam Darnold a stay of execution at quarterback. I personal believe that Darnold "could" be a good quarterback with the right players/coaching staff around him. I'd rather use the good draft picks to strengthen both O and D line, and running back positions.

9 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I can't say I know a huge amount about Robert Saleh, but he seems to be very highly respected and a leader of men. So pretty much night and day from what Gase was, who seemed to fall out with multiple players every season. Interested to see how the Jets tackle the draft now, with rumours that this will get Sam Darnold a stay of execution at quarterback. I personal believe that Darnold "could" be a good quarterback with the right players/coaching staff around him. I'd rather use the good draft picks to strengthen both O and D line, and running back positions.

The success of Saleh, like the majority of NFL head coaches will come down to the ability of their front offices to recruit well in both free agency and draft and as we've seen in the other thread to manage the salary cap in the short, medium and long term. If a HC, OC or DC doesnt have the basic talent to get the very best out of, there's only so much that can be done, Belichick and McDaniels from this season being prime examples.

You can see how much energy Saleh brings on the sidelines, guys look to want to play for him every snap of every game.  You cant put a price on that ability alone. What I'd worry about with the Jets is how they've poorly, relatively speaking, drafted previously. They've won 4.6 games on average over the last 5 seasons and no appreciable improvement to show for it. In today's NFL that takes some doing.

I get the feeling that players with any ambition will leave sh!tshows at the earliest opportunity to play elsewhere and that's just not a problem the Jets have to deal with.

One things for sure, unless for an absolutely generational talent, teams should leave running backs out of consideration for 1st round picks for a variety of reasons, every year. In a typical draft class, its not a position to draft that highly on, typically 2nd or 3rd round, but you can still find real talent in later rounds (Aaron Jones - 5th round) and even undrafted guys can put up decent numbers.

Of the top 25 rushers by yards this season, just over a quarter were taken in the first round of their respective drafts. One of those is actually a QB so shouldn't really count for this argument but I've left him in anyway, and Edwards-Helaire was taken with the last 1st round pick pick of lasts years draft. 

Years of being an Ayr fan means you're always rooting for the underdog and I love seeing how teams try to turn things around. In the NFL they have a real chance of doing so and for me that's part of the real attraction of this great sport.

Edited to add, the tweet the other day about Saleh being the first Muslim HC in the NFL isn't really needed in the year 2021 is it? I don't generally react to things like this but his religion shouldn't even be a discussion point. Perhaps its living in Scotland all my life that's made me feel this way.!

Edited by BukyOHare

19 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Lions have hired Brad Holmes as their new GM on a five year deal. Holmes had been with the Rams since 2003 in various scouting roles working his way up to director of college scouting. Interesting fact is there's a family connection to Detroit as 1978 first round draft pick by the Lions DB Luther Bradley is his uncle.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-agree-to-terms-on-5-year-deal-with-brad-holmes-as-new-gm

Good hire, he was seriously well thought of in LA. Like how often do fans even know the names of guys like that? He has gotten a lot of the credit publically for our frankly excellent mid to late round drafting record in the past 5 years. 

On 15/01/2021 at 08:17, steelmen said:

If you had the choice you’d take the chargers over the jets surely. Strange choice

Chargers gave Saleh a 2nd interview, but they do that with all potential hires, it doesn't mean they ever offered him the post, or it could be that they couldn't agree on terms. 

Personally, I think the Chargers are absolutely in love with Daboll, with Saleh, Staley, and Meyer as fall-back options.

Glad Smith is off the market, and I don't want my team hiring Bieniemy either.

On 15/01/2021 at 12:28, Antiochas III said:

Not sure if it is the same for coaches as it is players but the Jets market is much bigger than the Chargers.  

Tax is a consideration for coaches. One of the reasons most people thought Meyer would choose Jax over LAC no matter what. 20% state tax in Cali v's 0% in Florida

9 hours ago, steelmen said:

Gase worked with Payton don’t you know... well he sat next to him and got him some water.

I do wonder what these front offices see when looking for staff. Gase should never have gotten another gig after Miami

No question. Just incredibly dumb by the Jets.