Coaching Carousel 20/21

lichtie23

54 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It gets worse for the Raiders -

Hopefully it's a done deal by the end of the day :whistle

Still an upgrade on Paul Guenther, I’d imagine. And means we might be better placed to sign someone like Ingram and improve our completely talentless defense.

I’m hoping for Raheem Morris out of all the candidates linked. He has also been Gruden’s DC before which I feel will be a big part of the decision.

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Broncos looking for a GM

Thank Christ. First task the new GM should undertake is to slap Vic Fangio around the head with a wet dishcloth while screaming in his face ‘stop being a total fanny with your use of timeouts. Just. Stop. Fcuking. It. Up. With. Fcuking. Timeouts!’.... (each word accompanied by a dishcloth smack to the napper)....then, after that, think about the draft.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

think he’s a FA after this season? Unless I’ve got him mixed up with someone else. 

No, he is a FA, I'm just surprised you want to sign him. I don't want him back in LA for the sort of money he seems to think he's worth. He contributed absolutely nothing and gave minimal effort when he was on the field this season. Our pass rush was anaemic all year, but when Ingram was on IR his absence wasn't noticed at all. 

Frankly, I never thought he merited the contract we gave him in the first place, as he only ever showed up as a pass rusher if Joey Bosa was creating mayhem himself. He used to be a handy player when we played a 3-4 because he could play ILB and OLB, but I always thought he lacked the pure pass rush skills to play DE full-time in a 4-3, and I've never seen anything from him since that has changed my mind on that. If you signed him and he was motivated, then you'd get a reasonably capable complimentary player, but the Melvin Ingram I watched this season looked disinterested, ineffectual, and was a dead weight most of the time. 

His party piece is standing bolt upright at the snap, giving the guy in front of him a cursory slap, then standing stock still and watching the play unfold around him. Saw it several times this year.

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, he is a FA, I'm just surprised you want to sign him. I don't want him back in LA for the sort of money he seems to think he's worth. He contributed absolutely nothing and gave minimal effort when he was on the field this season. Our pass rush was anaemic all year, but when Ingram was on IR his absence wasn't noticed at all. 

Frankly, I never thought he merited the contract we gave him in the first place, as he only ever showed up as a pass rusher if Joey Bosa was creating mayhem himself. He used to be a handy player when we played a 3-4 because he could play ILB and OLB, but I always thought he lacked the pure pass rush skills to play DE full-time in a 4-3, and I've never seen anything from him since that has changed my mind on that. If you signed him and he was motivated, then you'd get a reasonably capable complimentary player, but the Melvin Ingram I watched this season looked disinterested, ineffectual, and was a dead weight most of the time. 

His party piece is standing bolt upright at the snap, giving the guy in front of him a cursory slap, then standing stock still and watching the play unfold around him. Saw it several times this year.

I wouldn't mind him in Arizona, could be decent opposite Chandler Jones in our 3-4.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I wouldn't mind him in Arizona, could be decent opposite Chandler Jones in our 3-4.

I think OLB in a 3-4 is a far better use of him than 4-3 DE. Far fewer opportunities to take the play off if all you are asking him to do is rush on practically every down. It seems to be more what he wants as well, since he frequently just quits on the play when he's stonewalled at the LoS, and that's harder to do to him when he's lined up a bit wider and sees more 1v1

Texans would be as well going total scorched earth, trading away everything and anything they have for draft capital, and starting all over again, because whoever takes that job isn't going to last the 2-3 years required to even begin to turn that shitshow around. It would be even worse if they played in a better division.

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Fair enough. Only seeing him twice a year compared to 16 times can make a big difference, as I’ve always been impressed with Ingram. Now, he’s obviously not as good as Bosa, but players like Bosa very rarely hit free agency.

There’s also the fact that our current pass rush is essentially non-existent, so he would instantly be an upgrade on that mess.

Lions have put in requests to interview the following as per Ian Rapoport:

Robert Saleh currently DC with the 49ers
Eric Bieniemy current OC with the Chiefs
Dan Campbell current assistant HC & TE coach with the Saints
Arthur Smith current OC with the Titans

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Fair enough. Only seeing him twice a year compared to 16 times can make a big difference, as I’ve always been impressed with Ingram. Now, he’s obviously not as good as Bosa, but players like Bosa very rarely hit free agency.

There’s also the fact that our current pass rush is essentially non-existent, so he would instantly be an upgrade on that mess.

Both times I saw the Raiders this year I thought your secondary was an absolute shambles, but that could be down to injuries as much as anything else. Pass rush wasn't great, but the Chargers usually have as tough a time running the ball against the Raiders as they do anyone else. It was noticeable how often your corners were blowing coverages more than the lack of pass rush was though. One usually helps the other, so yeah, you'd probably help the DB's by actually pressuring the QB

Texans up shit creek without a paddle.   Can see Watt and Cook going elsewhere as they incur no Cap Penalty but have huge numbers to it if on Roster 

Apart from having your team lead by Watson what else is there that makes that job appealing?

13 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Both times I saw the Raiders this year I thought your secondary was an absolute shambles, but that could be down to injuries as much as anything else. Pass rush wasn't great, but the Chargers usually have as tough a time running the ball against the Raiders as they do anyone else. It was noticeable how often your corners were blowing coverages more than the lack of pass rush was though. One usually helps the other, so yeah, you'd probably help the DB's by actually pressuring the QB

Yeah, it’s a case of one helping the other, or in our case, both of them hindering each other. The Raiders are better against the run than the pass, but very marginally so. We’re an absolute disaster at safety, but in Mullen and Arnette we’ve got a couple of very promising man-to-man corners... who we then spent half the year playing zone with.

Seen a couple of mentions of the Chargers seeking a big name for this hire. Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh mentioned. Certainly not the usual Spanos MO. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Apart from having your team lead by Watson what else is there that makes that job appealing?

No idea.  The Jets have a great chance to sort their shit out though.  If the get a HC  happy with Darnold even better as they can sell that 2nd overall pick for a king's ransom.  

Best thing they can do is trade Watson and Tunsil if they can find partners that are willing to give them decent value, and hope to hell they can attract an established coach that fancies a long-term rebuild project, similar to Jimmy Johnson in Miami etc, because they'll kill a 1st time coach with no established record due to shitty play/results over the next few seasons, and they're not going to be able to build around the existing pieces anyway.  I think that in 3 years or so they could be a presence in that division again due to factors at the other franchises, but the next couple will be rough and I just don't see a young coach surviving to reap the rewards even if the hard work warrants it.