Coaching Carousel 20/21

lichtie23

With the regular season being close to the end it’s time to look at which current head coaches will be looking for a new job and who will be in the running to step up to the top job.

Current openings

Falcons (Interim - Raheem Morris)

Lions (Interim - Darell Bevell)

Texans (Interim - Romeo Crenell)

Expected openings

Jets - Adam Gase

Jaguars - Doug Marrone

Possible openings

Bengals - Zac Taylor

Chargers - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Vic Fangio

I also think Matt Nagy could be on the hot seat if the Bears don’t make the playoffs and Mike Zimmer at the Vikings could be in trouble.

As for guys who will be in the running for a top job Chiefs OC Eric Bienimy will be the hottest name on the market. Marvin Lewis reportedly interviewed for the Texans job and there is chat that former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell is getting interest from a few teams. 49ers DC Robert Salah I think will get a few interviews as will Panthers OC Joe Brady. Other names being banded about include Byron Leftwich (Buccs OC), Wink Martindale (Ravens DC), Brian Daboll (Bills OC) and (as always) Josh McDaniels.

In the college game Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) and Dabo Sweeney (Clemson) will be mentioned but I don’t see either making the step up to the NFL. I’d love to see Stanfords David Shaw get a job in the NFL but I don’t see it being this year

Doubt Fangio will be going anywhere. Elway stuck with Vance Joseph when it was obvious he was sh!t and fangio is not the root of our issues.

Bienimy will be interesting. How much is him, how much is Reid. Can he do it with another QB?

Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell should never get another HC job. They just aren’t cut out for it.

It’s went very quiet on josh McDaniels, this season hasn’t helped him

Fangio was confirmed for 2021 yesterday.

It's not yet certain Lynn will be fired. The local beat reporters are saying that the decision hasn't been made yet, but most are putting it at about 80% chance he's binned. Spanos family has done some stupid things in the past though, so I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that he survives.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Doubt Fangio will be going anywhere. Elway stuck with Vance Joseph when it was obvious he was sh!t and fangio is not the root of our issues.

Bienimy will be interesting. How much is him, how much is Reid. Can he do it with another QB?

Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell should never get another HC job. They just aren’t cut out for it.

It’s went very quiet on josh McDaniels, this season hasn’t helped him

I think McDaniel is just waiting on Belichick to retire, must have been given some assurances after he nearly went to the Colts.

On 28/12/2020 at 09:40, lichtie23 said:

With the regular season being close to the end it’s time to look at which current head coaches will be looking for a new job and who will be in the running to step up to the top job.

Current openings

Falcons (Interim - Raheem Morris)

Lions (Interim - Darell Bevell)

Texans (Interim - Romeo Crenell)

Expected openings

Jets - Adam Gase

Jaguars - Doug Marrone

Possible openings

Bengals - Zac Taylor

Chargers - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Vic Fangio

I also think Matt Nagy could be on the hot seat if the Bears don’t make the playoffs and Mike Zimmer at the Vikings could be in trouble.

As for guys who will be in the running for a top job Chiefs OC Eric Bienimy will be the hottest name on the market. Marvin Lewis reportedly interviewed for the Texans job and there is chat that former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell is getting interest from a few teams. 49ers DC Robert Salah I think will get a few interviews as will Panthers OC Joe Brady. Other names being banded about include Byron Leftwich (Buccs OC), Wink Martindale (Ravens DC), Brian Daboll (Bills OC) and (as always) Josh McDaniels.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Gase keeps his job. Of the possibles you have listed, I think only Lynn will go.

Another name I've heard touted is Todd Bowles to get another shot.

I'll be disappointed if Lynn isn't fired, but I'll be absolutely seething if Gus Bradley is still DC next season. I could almost, just about live with Lynn provided we get rid of 'Mr rush 3 on obvious passing downs and blow the coverage anyway'. 

Be careful what you wish for Boo... by the looks of it Gase is available. [emoji23] maybe keep Lynn until Gase gets another job.

After hard knocks, I really like Lynn as a person as a HC not so much. Some of his (and his teams) decisions are baffling

All the beat writers say pretty much the same thing: Lynn is universally liked and respected by both staff and players, but as a human being, not a coach. A few more saying it's more or less certain he's going to be emptied on Monday once the team returns from KC.

I'm normally in favour of giving coaches extended tenures in order to get things right, but there has to be some evidence of progression, player development, a cohesive plan, and continuity year on year. Lynn appeared to have a somewhat positive impact on the team his first two seasons as HC, but since then it's followed the same script as both Norv Turner and Mike McCoy, i.e. a steady deterioration in results, the quality of the performances, and an erosion of performance and depth in the playing staff. I've always believed that you can tell if someone is a fundamentally competent coach within 18 months to two years in the job. Sometimes idiots like McCoy expose themselves well ahead of that schedule, and conversely, you get a guy like Lynn who perhaps takes a little bit longer to figure out, but essentially with Lynn, what it comes down to for me is that teams coached by fundamentally sound coaches don't make basic errors time after time, don't commit constant procedural and pre-snap penalties, don't suck at the basics of tackling, blocking, kicking etc, and don't routinely beat themselves and play down to the level of any opponent put in front of them. That last one is the biggest hallmark of a garbage coach IMO, and it was present through the tenures of Turner, McCoy, and Lynn. Well coached teams absolutely thump cellar-dwellers with no problems, even if they don't perhaps have the talent to go toe-to-toe with the league's best teams. the problem with coaches like McCoy and Lynn, is they'll put a team out that plays well enough to lose to KC etc by 3 points, then the next week, put the same team out, and they'll play just badly enough to lose to the Jags by 3 points. Rinse and repeat, week after week, season after season. You're left with the impression that the team is 'tantalisingly close' because they give the best teams all they can handle, but it's all smoke and mirrors really, because they just as frequently go out and play like complete and utter crap against opposition with half their level of talent. It's frustrating as hell, because it leads to ownership being overly patient with garbage coaching regimes, because they mistakenly believe they are a bawhair away from it all falling into place.

The other thing that is a recurring theme with the Chargers, is there will be a sore point in one facet of the team. Right now it's OL, and it feels like it's been about OL for nearly a decade. That season-long nightmare will get corrected in the off-season, everybody gets all excited, and then the season starts and it immediately becomes apparent the wheels have completely fallen off some other aspect of the team. It's as if the GM and coaches become so consumed with righting one specific wrong, that they become totally intransigent with regard to some other crucial aspect of the team. See the season we had the #1 Defense and a top 5 Offense and didn't even make the playoffs. Why? All-time catastrophically bad Special Teams. These things appear to be cyclical with the Chargers. There was the season we went 14 straight weeks without a single rushing TD by any player, despite having a 'genius' OC as our head coach, and despite having traded up in the 1st round to take a fucking running back.. Or the season we failed to gain a single net punt return yard. Yes, an entire season without a single punt return yard. How many seasons have we cut and replaced our kicker within the opening month? how many times have we broken records for blown leads, losses by one score etc etc. It's all down to fundamentally bad coaching.

Edited by Boo Khaki