Jim McLean

Too young to have watched his sides play but the sides he built, that fill many pages of our history books, make him an absolute icon at United. 

The cracking play that was put on at the Dundee Rep earlier in the year, a summary of his football career and some daft stories along the way, was probably the last live event a number of United fans would have been at before the world changed.

Edited by East Coast Warrior

A legend. Not often you could say an individual is bigger than a club, but in his case probably true.  He took an average Scottish team to a European cup semi final and UEFA cup final.  No flash in the pan over a season or two, Utd were rarely out the top four for a decade and a half. RIP.

Great manager and possibly a bit unlucky Alex Ferguson came along at roughly the same time as I think he would have won more otherwise.

Didn't take any sh1t from anyone and wasn't scare to deflate egos.

His style probably wouldn't work with the modern player but he was a man of his time.

RIP Jim.

My first St Mirren game was the first league game in what turned out to be the Fergie’s Furies title winning season, so ‘my era’ was Jim McLean at Dundee United with the likes of Hegarty, Narey, Sturrock & Co, and Alex Ferguson leaving us for Aberdeen, and having Miller, McLeish, Strachan & Co. An era where the dinosaurs in Govan were clinging onto a starting XI of Scottish Proddies, and Sellik were shite with the biscuit tin mentality. Aberdeen and United doing great things in Europe, and being able to do it in an era where clubs held the aces, and players spent a long time at their clubs without being sold to the Old Firm or English clubs at the drop of a hat. I’m pretty sure Jim McLean had guys tied to ten year contracts at 50p a week. An era where I saw St Mirren finish third in the league, reach multiple Scottish Cup semis, actually win the cup, and have multiple European campaigns ourselves. An era where there were multiple teams who were genuine title contenders. Even Hearts. A bit. Once.

A true, grumpy, legend of the Scottish game during an era I certainly recall fondly. RIP.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Too young to have watched his sides play but the sides he built, that fill many pages of our history books, make him an absolute icon at United. 

The cracking play that was put on at the Dundee Rep earlier in the year, a summary of his football career and some daft stories along the way, was probably the last live event a number of United fans would have been at before the world changed.

It was the last live event I was at before lockdown! It was brilliant.

Edited by kingjoey

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

My first St Mirren game was the first league game in what turned out to be the Fergie’s Furies title winning season, so ‘my era’ was Jim McLean at Dundee United with the likes of Hegarty, Narey, Sturrock & Co, and Alex Ferguson leaving us for Aberdeen, and having Miller, McLeish, Strachan & Co. An era where the dinosaurs in Govan were clinging onto a starting XI of Scottish Proddies, and Sellik were shite with the biscuit tin mentality. Aberdeen and United doing great things in Europe, and being able to do it in an era where clubs held the aces, and players spent a long time at their clubs without being sold to the Old Firm or English clubs at the drop of a hat. I’m pretty sure Jim McLean had guys tied to ten year contracts at 50p a week. An era where I saw St Mirren finish third in the league, reach multiple Scottish Cup semis, actually win the cup, and have multiple European campaigns ourselves. An era where there were multiple teams who were genuine title contenders. Even Hearts. A bit. Once.

A true, grumpy, legend of the Scottish game during an era I certainly recall fondly. RIP.

but the uglies were not ####e at that time which made it all the more impressive

Edited by ewan14