Raith v Queens

I've said a few times in the past that I think we have a team that could do well this season.
Too many players, if not all, just didn't show up tonight. These things happen in football but really shouldn't against a team struggling to find any form at the bottom of the league. But it has, and it will in the future. Well done Queens. Deserved the win.
That's the nature of the game.
As others have said it's how we react to this setback that's now important. This result is now history. Time to try to move on as positively as possible.
A win away to the Pars I can't see, but if we're much improved then maybe there's enough in the locker to keep us in this league. Many of us were saying at the start of the season that they'd be happy finishing 8th.
I still think we can do better than that, but maybe not top four.

Edited by embow

Never again will I pour scorn on the pessimism of Raith fans.
It's a thing of beauty.
Have to say their response to this defeat is impressive as well here. Make no mistake, we are awful and this is a shocking result for them. I wouldn't have argued if they gave it the "Queens won but they are awful" line which so many supporters would have done.

Fair play Rovers, guid c£nts.

As purely happy as I am for this result helping us tonight, also chuffed for the QoS fans who've had a really shite week with what's gone on both on and off the pitch. Well done to the young lad Cowie too, only 16 years old and keeping a clean sheet against free-scoring Raith is very impressive.

Have to say their response to this defeat is impressive as well here. Make no mistake, we are awful and this is a shocking result for them. I wouldn't have argued if they gave it the "Queens won but they are awful" line which so many supporters would have done.

Hard to do when you've created the square route of hee haw against the supposed worst defensive team in the country.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Were we awful? Last twenty minutes we sat deep and were clinging on but up till then (and the first 60 seconds) I thought we played pretty well. 

Were we awful? Last twenty minutes we sat deep and were clinging on but up till then (and the first 60 seconds) I thought we played pretty well. 

He said you are awful. Not that you were awful tonight in fairness. Describing it as clinging on is very complimentary to us.

We played well in comparison to the rest of the season but I think it was more to do with Raith having a bad night as opposed to us stopping Raith from playing.

It wasn't my point anyway, how often have we won games we weren't expected to and the opposition used them being shite as an excuse rather than just saying fair play? Ayr last season being a good example.

I've said a few times in the past that I think we have a team that could do well this season.
Too many players, if not all, just didn't show up tonight. These things happen in football but really shouldn't against a team struggling to find any form at the bottom of the league. But it has, and it will in the future. Well done Queens. Deserved the win.
As others have said it's how we react to this setback that's now important. This result is now history. Time to try to move on as positively as possible.
A win away to the Pars I can't see, but if we're much improved then maybe there's enough in the locker to keep us in this league. Many of us were saying at the start of the season that they'd be happy finishing 8th.

You’ve had your honeymoon period. Back to Earth with a bang again on Saturday when we plug 4 past you.

You’ve had your honeymoon period. Back to Earth with a bang again on Saturday when we plug 4 past you.

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Against a team so lacking in numbers, quality, form, confidence and goalkeepers as Queen of the South, you can afford to have a bad attitude or a bad strategy. You can have a midfield that has an off day. Or a defence, or an attack. You cannot afford for all of these things to happen. 

Don't want to take anything away from Queens efforts tonight (god knows we need a break) but despite what the Rovers management team would have no doubt been preaching pre match to their players, you can just imagine what the Raith lads would've been thinking to themselves pre kick off...... Pumped them 5-2 already, only won once all year, lower league level players, bottom of the pile, in free fall, relegation favourites, even got George Galloway as a bloody season ticket holder, etc etc etc.  Bound to create a mindset that's asking for trouble....... and guess what happened..... 👍

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I came to Mendy's defence - to some extent - after the weekend, but he was quite clearly dreadful tonight. That doesn't necessarily define him as a player, any more than Hendry or Duku's poor showings define them, but to try and paint his performance tonight as anything other than significantly sub-Championship is fanciful. 

Mendy is a perfectly serviceable Championship fourth or fifth CB. He may improve more, or may not. He is familiar with our system, which is why I suspect he will be re-signed as a backup next year. I had hopes he would be  starter by years end, that now seems quite unlikely.

Assuming we can remain up, we will need at least two starting capable CB’s recruited to pair with McKay as a solid back three to chose from. Bene and/or Mendy will be the backups. Frankie would be a Godsend as a re-signed player.

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

No consolation to Raith fans but I thought that Raith TV was top notch.

Most Rovers fans expressed similar sentiments towards QOS TV in October. 

The general vibe back then was 'Thanks, but we'd rather have the three points than praise for our TV coverage'. Tonight, I can see where they were coming from. 

Mendy is a perfectly serviceable Championship fourth or fifth CB. He may improve more, or may not. He is familiar with our system, which is why I suspect he will be re-signed as a backup next year. I had hopes he would be  starter by years end, that now seems quite unlikely.
Assuming we can remain up, we will need at least two starting capable CB’s recruited to pair with McKay as a solid back three to chose from. Bene and/or Mendy will be the backups. Frankie would be a Godsend as a re-signed player.

Mendy would be an amazing signing for queen's, based solely on the fact they have two signed cbs. That's the only scenario in which he should be considered serviceable at this level.

I will happily charity bet you, he will not get a new contract.

Mckay showed promise before a fairly serious injury as well. We can't pin our hope's of him being as promising when he comes back. We need to be aiming better than serviceable.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Mendy would be an amazing signing for queen's, based solely on the fact they have two signed cbs. That's the only scenario in which he should be considered serviceable at this level.

I will happily charity bet you, he will not get a new contract.

Mckay showed promise before a fairly serious injury as well. We can't pin our hope's of him being as promising when he comes back. We need to be aiming better than serviceable.

Don’t disagree...sorry, already have this year’s Charity bet on (and am about to lose it).