St Mirren v The Rangers 2012 30/12/20

16 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Think you’ll see one of Arfield or Aribo (dependent on Arfield’s injury) playing a floating role that works into the space that’s freed up by the doubling up full back. Starts off with the usual 4-4-3, ends up being a 4-2-3-1 with Roofe leading the line, then Kent, Aribo, Morelos behind, with Kamara and Davis sitting deeper to cover the Saints midfield when Rangers are in possession. 

Cant see much beyond Rangers really pushing from kick off and attempting to overload their defence, if the first half hour is anything beyond 25% St Mirren possession I’d be surprised.

Think good use of subs will be key, Itten offers a presence in holding up the ball and playing the channels that we are normally overly reliant on Morelos for, obviously Hagi is in great form but don’t think he’ll start, but he does offer that trickyness and shooting from outside the box that stops teams being able to sit in deep comfortably.

On the Kent point, I think the role he’s been asked to play is similar to Firmino for Liverpool - but with some slight differences in terms of how high we play up the pitch. I don’t think he’s massively out of form, just think he’s the player two passes before an assist by design most games. Goal would do him good though.

Still, there are issues with how high Rangers play and susceptibility to counter attacks - the ball in behind our full backs followed by a quick diagonal to the back post has led to at least 5/13 goals we’ve conceded this season - Lang for Motherwell and Smith for Dundee United being good examples, the lad in the Europa who can’t have kids any more as well. Think it’s probably that there’s no perfect system and the cons are outweighed by the pros, but we’ve conceded nearly half of our total goals in December so it’s maybe starting to need addressed. 

With the referee ignoring it, as usual!

I am sure Alan Muir will have been informed of his duties. No penalties to the opposition, while awarding penalties to Rangers players fouled outside of the box, and certainly no booking of players when they dive inside the box looking for a penalty. Oh, and no disallowing offside goals, that's a given.

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I am sure Alan Muir will have been informed of his duties. No penalties to the opposition, while awarding penalties to Rangers players fouled outside of the box, and certainly no booking of players when they dive inside the box looking for a penalty. Oh, and no disallowing offside goals, that's a given.

Jinkies. 

21 hours ago, Orbix said:

Shit. Now everyone knows about the invisible twelfth man. 

I"m not sure what the problem is. You don't really need a keeper against us with that winning formation - someone else can pick the ball out the back of the net, following our fast counter attacks,  surely?

41 minutes ago, AllyM said:

I"m not sure what the problem is. You don't really need a keeper against us with that winning formation - someone else can pick the ball out the back of the net, following our fast counter attacks,  surely?

I’m hopeful that as a thank you for the acres of space Bassey gave Connolly on the right last time, you’ll not counter at all. 

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

That’s a pretty embarrassing narrative being set by Goodwin. This all stems from Hibs and their weak penalty claims at the weekend. Now Goodwin, who’s team were awarded a penalty the last time the teams met and Rangers were arguably denied one that should’ve been given, has came out with this.

I understand it’s part of the game to try and influence referees, but this is bordering on suggesting bias which is a slippery slope to go down.

That’s a pretty embarrassing narrative being set by Goodwin. This all stems from Hibs and their weak penalty claims at the weekend. Now Goodwin, who’s team were awarded a penalty the last time the teams met and Rangers were arguably denied one that should’ve been given, has came out with this.
I understand it’s part of the game to try and influence referees, but this is bordering on suggesting bias which is a slippery slope to go down.
Yeah, your fellow supporters on twitter are raging he said that too.

We usually don't see these articles until January,  a wee bit early this season. 

A bit shocked at Goodwins attempts at undermining the referee, Gerrard got hauled before the SFA after playing Dundee United for saying a lot less than that. I believe that bringing the game into disrepute was the charge .....

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Nope, it stems from the game at Ibrox in August when we should have had a penalty but Dallas shat it and gave it outside the box.

So, rather than reference a game that happened a couple of weeks ago in which you got a penalty, he is referencing a game in August in which you never?

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Just a bit of gamesmanship that one of our famous old gaffers would have pwoud of.

I can't remember the penalty appeal you had in the cup game. Hopefully not the one that was well outside the box.