Clyde vs Airdrieonians

We don’t have a great squad by any means (we’re absolutely skint) but we certainly seem to save our worst stuff for playing against Airdrie (and Peterhead). Some really stinking performances served up against you in recent times.

Are we skint? Really? Mmmm.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I didn't watch today - as I will not give Clyde any of my money while David Goodwillie is on their books - but pleasing to get what sounds like by all accounts a convincing win. Was relatively nervy when Clyde got their second with plenty of time left and presumably the wind behind them but I'm glad we managed to see the game out and didn't perform a characteristic Airdrie collapse. Looking forward to watching the highlights and Tam Rab's goal in particular. Nice to see Ally Roy make his return. Here's hoping he can step up and play an important role in the remainder of the season. 

I must say I find the relative optimism and praise for their squad that I often find on the Clyde thread surprising. Every time I've seen them play (bearing in mind I didn't watch our defeat at Broadwood last season) they've been an absolute gang. Even Mitchell, including today, must have chucked in or cost about 4 or 5 goals against us by himself. A League 2 rabble with Goodwillie being their only saving 

Think people need to come off it with the 'won't give Clyde any money' patter because of Goodwillie. Controversially I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if we were lucky enough to have him up top.

Another good win, let's hope we can build on it rather than have our usual couple of wins followed by some defeats. We will see though.

Clyde were absolutely dire today.  In the first half they did have the wind to contend with, but they were so sloppy at the back that had it been a still day we'd still have been ahead.  From the time we scored our first to their first they barely got a kick of the ball.  Therir defence was comical, with two bad backpasses that nearly let in our strikers, and another from about thirty yards out that went for a corner - and that's without account of the goals.  The first and third were pretty spectacular from an Airdrie point of view, but nobody should be letting in goals direct from corners, and the amound of time and space Kerr had was pub-league stuff.  Given Airdrie's habit of late collapses in recent years I wasn't all that comfortable being just two goals up going into the final stages, but bar a brief flurry of corners and free kicks following their second goal Clyde never looked like mounting much a serious late effort and seemed to have pretty much given up by the last ten.  i don't know what scope Clyde have for strengthening in January, but they'll be really struggling if they don't, especially at the back.  No senior team should be losing those kinds of goals, and certainly not nine goals in two games to an Airdrie side who are decent going forward but hardly prolific.

For us, I thought Thomson had a decent game, though the conditions made the second half a bit of a slog for us going forward.  It's good to see Roy back as well, especially if Connell ends up going back to Kilmarnock.  Granted they were mostly friendlies, but Roy had hit a good run of form before his injury, and competition for places can only be a good thing. 

My stream had frozen when Clyde got their second - can anyone give a good description of it?

Having gotten ourselves into a really strong position we did let Clyde get if not back into the game at least within touching distance of it, but really we saw the second half out pretty much as comfortably as could be managed in that wind.  I dread to think how much worse the conditions would have been before the building at the formerly open end was put up.  It would have been nigh-unplayable in the days before the South Stand.

39 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Good win today, and it’s a nice feeling to actually win at Broadwood. Can’t actually mind the last time we won at Broadwood before today. Apart from a pre season friendly in 2016, our last competitive win there must’ve been around 2005 / 2006?

I was thinking the same thing, though I suppose both clubs managed to avoid each other for the best part of 10 years. Our last win at Broadwood was apparently a 1-0 win in April 2007 which took us off bottom (for all the good it did given what happened in the play-offs), with Kevin McDonald scoring the only goal. To show how long ago that was, Airdrie’s team that day included Ian Harty, Marcin Lukaszewski and Craig Potter! David Hutton was in goals for Clyde.

Two by-products of the Covid era:

1. I am struggling to tell any of the opposition apart unless they look like Connor Sammon or stick two belters into the net like Megginson. It's almost impossible working out which Clyde player has the ball half the time. Surely the brains behind Pixellot can work out some way to zoom in on the action a bit?

2. I think the only time I've moaned about a referee all season was when WE were given a penalty against Dumbarton. 

On another note, it would be nice for Danny Lennon to just come out and say we were rubbish once in a while. Nearly all of his post-match comments today were absolute nonsense. I did agree with him that Cuddihy played well. Him and Palmer were probably the only two who could claim they were anything better than awful. At least our current status is blatantly clear for every decision maker; if we don't make alterations in January then we're going into a relegation play-off at best; a play-off that we'll lose.

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I was thinking the same thing, though I suppose both clubs managed to avoid each other for the best part of 10 years. Our last win at Broadwood was apparently a 1-0 win in April 2007 which took us off bottom (for all the good it did given what happened in the play-offs), with Kevin McDonald scoring the only goal. To show how long ago that was, Airdrie’s team that day included Ian Harty, Marcin Lukaszewski and Craig Potter! David Hutton was in goals for Clyde.

So the last win at Broadwood was round about the time we started to decline. Hopefully today’s win is a sign of better fortunes ahead! ♦️

Yesterday was Mitchell’s worst game for us I think, not just the goals he gave away either. 

Rumsby was absolutely horrendous, Lang not much better and mcniff should never be seen at left back again. Bain was a bit better than them but still not great. 

Cuddihy and Palmer were ok but how much space can you give a team. I remember people saying nicol is the type of player we needed, he may be the type but good god he isn’t the player we need, that game absolutely passed him by yesterday. A truly pointless signing. 

Love done his usual work hard, Cunningham was decent first half when he got the chance to be and goodwillie did ok again when he got the chance. 

As said above, if we don’t strengthen in January we are in trouble. We are just simply not good enough, makes me wonder how bad Forfar are that we are 4 points clear of them. 

19 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Did you watch Airdrie while Lithgow played for us?

I did yes, although not very often. At the very least I believe Lithgow has admitted/accepted his guilt, repaid his debt to society and shown genuine and appropriate remorse and contrition although if he hasn't I do apologise. None of which Goodwillie has ever done for committing the most heinous of crimes. 

Whichever way you slice it, you have to draw the line somewhere at what you consider acceptable or appropriate to look past or who you offer second chances to. I am more than happy to have rapists beyond that line and more than happy to not give any money to clubs or institutions who employ one. 

18 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Think people need to come off it with the 'won't give Clyde any money' patter because of Goodwillie. Controversially I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if we were lucky enough to have him up top.

I can honestly say I wouldn't. Some things are just more important than football. Thankfully, he will never sign for us so it's purely a hypothetical discussion. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I did yes, although not very often. At the very least I believe Lithgow has admitted/accepted his guilt, repaid his debt to society and shown genuine and appropriate remorse and contrition although if he hasn't I do apologise. None of which Goodwillie has ever done for committing the most heinous of crimes.

Goodwillie maintains his innocence; while, as a civil case, it was determined that he was more likely guilty than not, there still exists a reasonable degree of possibility that he is an innocent man. Why on earth would he show remorse and contrition if that's the case? Lithgow literally couldn't protest his innocence, because it was a pretty open-and-shut criminal proceeding for his particular beasty behaviour (fondling himself before strangers, publicly, on four separate occasions across two separate days). 

Whichever way you slice it, you have to draw the line somewhere at what you consider acceptable or appropriate to look past or who you offer second chances to. I am more than happy to have rapists beyond that line and more than happy to not give any money to clubs or institutions who employ one. 

So your line in the sand is convicted sex offender okay but man with no conviction not okay. Were the victims of Lithgow somehow less affected by his behaviour than the alleged victim of Goodwillie? Do we have a scale where some offenders are okay to continue with their life but others can't. IF Goodwillie was guilty should he then be unemployable or is there a list of menial jobs he's allowed to do?

Duncan Ferguson guilty of a series of assaults and did time, what's his place on your scale of righteousness?

FWIW I'd have him (Goodwillie) playing at Airdrie no bother.

On 26/12/2020 at 15:18, David W said:

After the previous game and Clyde's rather liberal interpretation of the Covid guidelines saw a bunch of kids running around the stadium, this week our Club Chaplain reveals he has been at every match this season bar Cove. I'm actually amazed that anyone other than the playing staff, coaches and maybe a social media guy or two is allowed.

The whole thing is almost as embarrassing as Mitchell's attempt to deal with those two corner kicks.

I see that QotS have managed to trump us here with George Galloway managing to worm his way into a game yesterday. The slap in the face statement from their board though is a quite incredible PR blunder:

We can confirm that George Galloway did attend our game against Dundee at Palmerston yesterday.

He was socially distant within an area of the ground where he formed a bubble with his family.  All Covid protocols were followed at all times.

We would like to apologise to our supporters who have been upset by his attendance at the match.

On 27/12/2020 at 17:23, Mybitchunderprotest said:

So your line in the sand is convicted sex offender okay but man with no conviction not okay. Were the victims of Lithgow somehow less affected by his behaviour than the alleged victim of Goodwillie? Do we have a scale where some offenders are okay to continue with their life but others can't. IF Goodwillie was guilty should he then be unemployable or is there a list of menial jobs he's allowed to do?

Duncan Ferguson guilty of a series of assaults and did time, what's his place on your scale of righteousness?

FWIW I'd have him (Goodwillie) playing at Airdrie no bother.

A Scottish court found Goodwillie to be a rapist. Indeed, it's the only conclusive conclusion that's ever been made on the whole case, based on the evidence of 20 reliable and credible witnesses, forensic and medical evidence and the judgement of an experienced judge. So unless you think that they're, ahem, wrong then there's no conclusion other than Goodwillie is a rapist scumbag. 

I can't even begin to imagine what the victims of Lithgow, Goodwillie's and all other victims of sexual crime have, and continue, to go through. It's particularly harrowing for rape victims given the nature of that crime, the notorious difficulties they face in court and, like in Goodwillie's case, where the victims often have their name dragged through the mud, they're branded a liar, a slut, a whore, asking for it etc. There's a real nasty culture around rape and sexual assault in this country and if you'd rather side with a rapist than with a victim then you contribute to it. So no, I don't think you get to play the victim card. 

Some crimes are worse than others. That's in a rudimentary way, how the criminal justice works. So aye, Goodwillie's crime is worse than Duncan Ferguson's. Indeed, it's probably the most heinous and evil crime you could commit.  

Being a footballer is very different from working in a menial job. It's high profile, (at least relatively) lucrative, has good working conditions, probably the best working hours of any job and is also a dream job for almost every person with an interest in the sport. That comes with a position of privilege and responsibility. A privilege and responsibility that Goodwillie revoked when he raped somebody. I don't think Goodwillie should never be able to work or make a living for himself but he should not be working in as privileged an industry as he is where he continues to be lauded, praised and practically hero-worshipped with little regard to his crime or his victim. 

So I will never countenance giving Clyde or other employees of rapists a drop of my money until he is no longer in there employment. If Clyde have a problem with that or their threads being clogged up with discussions about Goodwillie, then they should have simply not signed a rapist.  

Declan Gallagher smashed someone's skull with a baseball bat.

As far as I know he's never admitted guilt. In fact, I believe, he appealed the conviction.
He was back in training with a club the day after his release

He is now playing at a higher level than Goodwillie. Remember he's one of our "Scottish international heroes". I'm sure his income is greater.

I assume you won't be supporting Scotland in the Euros. You'll also be boycotting the Scottish Cup.

You'll also be posting on P&B Tartan Army Ramblings board every time he plays for Scotland reminding everyone of your moral integrity?

Footballers trade is football. That's what they do, just as plumbers plumb and gas fitters fit gas