Led Zeppelin

TheScarf

Seeing as there's a few other top 5 songs for bands kicking about, let's do one for the greatest of all time;

1.  Rock and Roll

2.  Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

3.  When the Levee Breaks

4.  Stairway to Heaven

5.  Immigrant Song

oooft. I will have to have a hard think.

Rock n Roll

How Man More Times

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Black Dog

All My Love

In no particular order and off the top of my head.

Edited by Busta Nut
Had a 5 min think

1. When The Levee Breaks
2. Ramble On
3. Kashmir
4. Rock and Roll
5. D'yer Maker

The top two are two of my favourite songs ever by any band, and were an easy selection. The rest of the list was pretty much rabbit from a hat stuff. So many worthy of consideration.

Edited by Nightmare

So far, When the Levee Breaks appears to be the most popular Zep song. The drums give me goosebumps.

No votes for songs from either Coda or In Through the Out Door. Some great songs on those, but overall definitely weaker than the others I'd say.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Missed out something

Just now, TheScarf said:

The intro for When the Levee Breaks is one of the greatest of all time.

Funnily enough, been watching a lot of them on YouTube recently. It's hard to believe that a human can simultaneously hit the drums so hard yet maintain such a groove.

The man was a phenomenon as demonstrated by that intro.

1 minute ago, Academically Deficient said:

Funnily enough, been watching a lot of them on YouTube recently. It's hard to believe that a human can simultaneously hit the drums so hard yet maintain such a groove.

Bonzo was the greatest drummer, no question.

54 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I've watched a few interviews/documentaries about Zep/Bonham, and it's often said that, as well as having great technique,  feel, and taste, a lot of it was down to the way that he tuned his kit. 

Really annoys me when folk like Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton are dismissive of Bonham - Baker says Bonham had no swing - not the first or last time Baker talked a lot of shite.

Great thread, but I'm not sure I could list my top 5 Zep tracks or albums as it's near impossible. 

Levee Breaks would be in the top 5 every time for sure. 

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I've watched a few interviews/documentaries about Zep/Bonham, and it's often said that, as well as having great technique,  feel, and taste, a lot of it was down to the way that he tuned his kit. 

Really annoys me when folk like Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton are dismissive of Bonham - Baker says Bonham had no swing - not the first or last time Baker talked a lot of shite.

Great thread, but I'm not sure I could list my top 5 Zep tracks or albums as it's near impossible. 

Levee Breaks would be in the top 5 every time for sure. 

Yes, Keith Richard said something similar about him. Lot of time for Keith but he talks some bollocks at times.

I reckon a lot of it was down to plain jealousy. Nobody could touch Bonzo really.

Bonzo was so different to the other drummers of the era that I don’t think they knew how to “rate” him, or even understood that he was as much a part of the songwriting as the other band members. I doubt that was much of a thing in the 60s and 70s. First Rick drummer to actually be a “musician” too?

Neil Peart was another, but a completely different style of musician.

On 22/12/2020 at 10:39, Nightmare said:

1. When The Levee Breaks
2. Ramble On
3. Kashmir
4. Rock and Roll
5. D'yer Maker

The top two are two of my favourite songs ever by any band, and were an easy selection. The rest of the list was pretty much rabbit from a hat stuff. So many worthy of consideration.

With the weather these days I’m always finding myself singing or listening to Levee. Good soundtrack to the impending climate apocalypse.

Rock and Roll

Black Dog

The Immigrant Song

The Rain Song

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin at the BBC)

The version of Stairway, my favourite, on Led Zeppelin at the BBC was recorded before IV was released, so the audience would've been hearing it for the first time - if you want to hear the sound of jaws hitting the floor, wait for the end of this version!