Jump to content
TheScarf

Led Zeppelin

Recommended Posts

Seeing as there's a few other top 5 songs for bands kicking about, let's do one for the greatest of all time;

1.  Rock and Roll

2.  Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

3.  When the Levee Breaks

4.  Stairway to Heaven

5.  Immigrant Song

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oooft. I will have to have a hard think.

 

Rock n Roll

How Man More Times

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Black Dog

All My Love

 

 

In no particular order and off the top of my head.

Edited by Busta Nut
Had a 5 min think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Immigrant Song

2. Battle of Evermore

3. Stairway to Heaven

4. No Quarter

5. Whole Lotta Love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. When The Levee Breaks
2. Ramble On
3. Kashmir
4. Rock and Roll
5. D'yer Maker

The top two are two of my favourite songs ever by any band, and were an easy selection. The rest of the list was pretty much rabbit from a hat stuff. So many worthy of consideration.

Edited by Nightmare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Kashmir

2. The song remains the same.

3. Stairway (I know, Layla syndrome, but it's a fucking great song. Cast your mind back to when you were discovering rock)

4. Trampled Underfoot.

5. Achilles' Last Stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, When the Levee Breaks appears to be the most popular Zep song. The drums give me goosebumps.

No votes for songs from either Coda or In Through the Out Door. Some great songs on those, but overall definitely weaker than the others I'd say.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Missed out something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The intro for When the Levee Breaks is one of the greatest of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheScarf said:

The intro for When the Levee Breaks is one of the greatest of all time.

Funnily enough, been watching a lot of them on YouTube recently. It's hard to believe that a human can simultaneously hit the drums so hard yet maintain such a groove.

The man was a phenomenon as demonstrated by that intro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Academically Deficient said:

Funnily enough, been watching a lot of them on YouTube recently. It's hard to believe that a human can simultaneously hit the drums so hard yet maintain such a groove.

The man was a phenomenon as demonstrated by that intro.

Bonzo was the greatest drummer, no question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Funnily enough, been watching a lot of them on YouTube recently. It's hard to believe that a human can simultaneously hit the drums so hard yet maintain such a groove.

The man was a phenomenon as demonstrated by that intro.

I've watched a few interviews/documentaries about Zep/Bonham, and it's often said that, as well as having great technique,  feel, and taste, a lot of it was down to the way that he tuned his kit. 

Really annoys me when folk like Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton are dismissive of Bonham - Baker says Bonham had no swing - not the first or last time Baker talked a lot of shite.

Great thread, but I'm not sure I could list my top 5 Zep tracks or albums as it's near impossible. 

Levee Breaks would be in the top 5 every time for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I've watched a few interviews/documentaries about Zep/Bonham, and it's often said that, as well as having great technique,  feel, and taste, a lot of it was down to the way that he tuned his kit. 

Really annoys me when folk like Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton are dismissive of Bonham - Baker says Bonham had no swing - not the first or last time Baker talked a lot of shite.

Great thread, but I'm not sure I could list my top 5 Zep tracks or albums as it's near impossible. 

Levee Breaks would be in the top 5 every time for sure. 

Yes, Keith Richard said something similar about him. Lot of time for Keith but he talks some bollocks at times.

I reckon a lot of it was down to plain jealousy. Nobody could touch Bonzo really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonzo was so different to the other drummers of the era that I don’t think they knew how to “rate” him, or even understood that he was as much a part of the songwriting as the other band members. I doubt that was much of a thing in the 60s and 70s. First Rick drummer to actually be a “musician” too?

Neil Peart was another, but a completely different style of musician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/12/2020 at 10:39, Nightmare said:

1. When The Levee Breaks
2. Ramble On
3. Kashmir
4. Rock and Roll
5. D'yer Maker

The top two are two of my favourite songs ever by any band, and were an easy selection. The rest of the list was pretty much rabbit from a hat stuff. So many worthy of consideration.

With the weather these days I’m always finding myself singing or listening to Levee. Good soundtrack to the impending climate apocalypse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ramble On

When the Levee Breaks

Black Dog

Whole Lotta Love

Bron Y Aur Stomp

Though I could easily pick another five and be just as happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock and Roll

Black Dog

The Immigrant Song

The Rain Song

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin at the BBC)

********************

The version of Stairway, my favourite, on Led Zeppelin at the BBC was recorded before IV was released, so the audience would've been hearing it for the first time - if you want to hear the sound of jaws hitting the floor, wait for the end of this version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...