Dumbarton vs East Fife

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
19 hours ago, George Parr said:
Wait - uncharacteristic? Did that team not win promotion that season? 

Yes, but the post New Year performances were very much better than the early season ones.

There lies hope for this season then.

On 21/12/2020 at 11:24, microdave said:

Hopefully a repeat of the only time the clubs have played each other on Boxing day even though it's unrealistic to expect that. http://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3526

Discuss.

The great Stevie Archibald was East Fife manager for this game. Think I’m right in saying it could have been his first season and we lost more games than we won. However the following season he took the Fife to the promised land of the 2nd tier. 

The great Stevie Archibald was East Fife manager for this game. Think I’m right in saying it could have been his first season and we lost more games than we won. However the following season he took the Fife to the promised land of the 2nd tier. 
Before the next game at Boghead later that season, Archibald was bumping his gums about how we'd kicked you off the park in the Boxing day massacre only for East Fife to finish with ten men in another defeat that day. I also remember applauding our heroes off the pitch when Martin Mooney came sprinting off the park to the safety of the tunnel with an East Fife player in hot pursuit. No idea why it was happening but I think the Fifer got a red card after the game.

Before the next game at Boghead later that season, Archibald was bumping his gums about how we'd kicked you off the park in the Boxing day massacre only for East Fife to finish with ten men in another defeat that day. I also remember applauding our heroes off the pitch when Martin Mooney came sprinting off the park to the safety of the tunnel with an East Fife player in hot pursuit. No idea why it was happening but I think the Fifer got a red card after the game.
Was it the winger Dougie Hope who was sent off ?

Was it the winger Dougie Hope who was sent off ?
I genuinely can't remember. I'm thinking the red card was for a stamp on a Sons player just in front of the dugouts but that could've been a different game given the length of time since.

I genuinely can't remember. I'm thinking the red card was for a stamp on a Sons player just in front of the dugouts but that could've been a different game given the length of time since.
No, I'm sure you are correct. In the second-half I was stood on the terracing where the Social Club was and it happened almost right in front. I think it was frustration rather than malice.

After some research Dumbarton beat East Fife 4 times that season so Murdo McLeod must have well and truly had Steve Archibald’s number.  East Fife just escaped relegation and finished 3rd bottom. Just out of interest how long did your venture into tier 2 last when you got promoted that year. 

After some research Dumbarton beat East Fife 4 times that season so Murdo McLeod must have well and truly had Steve Archibald’s number.  East Fife just escaped relegation and finished 3rd bottom. Just out of interest how long did your venture into tier 2 last when you got promoted that year. 
Just one season. We got off to a good start by winning our first two games but then we appointed undercover Bankie Jim Fallon as manager and won five whole points in the remaining 34 games. We got relegated again the following season and followed that up by finishing bottom of the third.

1 hour ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

Just one season. We got off to a good start by winning our first two games but then we appointed undercover Bankie Jim Fallon as manager and won five whole points in the remaining 34 games. We got relegated again the following season and followed that up by finishing bottom of the third.

All sounds like a very modern day Brechin City.

Weather forecast heavy rain and strong winds. Could be interesting conditions ??

Yup could be a game changer, we don’t get conditions like that along our way!!!

On 21/12/2020 at 19:54, Jumbo Muir said:

I remember us us drawing 5-5 with EF at Boghead.

East Fife five and all that..

Brilliant! 

I asked Murdo McLeod if he recalled that game. It turned out he made his debut for the Sons a few months later. 

There was also the famous 3-3 draw at the end of the following season that saw us relegate Raith Rovers and keep us up. Twa thoosind Fife fans attended that day according to wee Drew. 

Then there was the 6-0 win at Bayview a few years back, swiftly followed by a 6-0 defeat. 

I can also mind of a 4-0 win in unlikely circumstances and a 3-0 win featuring a Jay Smart bicycle kick in recent years. 

A 0-0 draw the morra is my prediction... 

Edited by Angusfifer