The Yogi Hughes Ross County Appreciation Thread

2 hours ago, MS RR said:

Where are all the Yogi haters tonight? 😆 This man is a fantastic manager who actually gets teams to play eye-catching football. He was outstanding at Falkirk and Inverness. He was unfortunate at Hibs and a lot of their fans certainly regret losing him. 

The only club you can point to and say he failed at was Raith. I mean they're a wee team with no resources and had a rotten squad. Who actually cares if Raith fans call a manager shi#te, it's a tiny club. Every where else he has done well. 

Good post.

I bit my lip with all the derogatory comments about John Hughes, was tempted to reply at some of the anti Yogi comments.

Well done Yogi on beating Hibs tonight.

Always give people a chance in life.

And may  I take this opportunity in congratulating Alex Dyer, 3 points for Kilmarnock today, nice chap always comes across very well.

Sad thing is, in today’s mad world, was it Kilmarnock supporters who wrote the letter?

Rock on Yogi!

Don’t really understand the hate for him. Even before he took over at county. Obviously it didnt work out at raith but that happens to lots of managers. I reckon he would be one of those managers that would get everyone on side fairly quickly as he has a decent sense of humour but the players will also be aware of his other side. He obviously tries to play half decent footie. I actually hope he keeps county up now

Ps i wonder how many times someone will drop the “guid honest laddies” joke between now and the end of the season. Already seen it about 15 times

On 22/12/2020 at 19:10, RandomGuy. said:

Was John Hughes the manager who watched his ICT side get obliterated at Parkhead, then said how much of a pleasure it was to watch Ryan Christie playing for Celtic?

We had lost 3 - 0 at Parkhead and he was high fiving Celtic fans in the stand for some reason and then came out with this (£ but you can make out the text):

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/inverness-ct-boss-john-hughes-tips-celtics-ryan-christie-for-scotland-call-152181/

The guy is still a fantastic coach though I would stop short at saying he is a great manager on account of the fact that his signings, at least at ICT, were universally garbage.

We had lost 3 - 0 at Parkhead and he was high fiving Celtic fans in the stand for some reason and then came out with this (£ but you can make out the text):

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/inverness-ct-boss-john-hughes-tips-celtics-ryan-christie-for-scotland-call-152181/

The guy is still a fantastic coach though I would stop short at saying he is a great manager on account of the fact that his signings, at least at ICT, were universally garbage.

Is that really that bad? Did christie play under him at inverness at all? I dont think it is really thay ridiculous to talk us an opposition player if he has just taken apart your team? The high fiving not so much

10 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Is that really that bad? Did christie play under him at inverness at all? I dont think it is really thay ridiculous to talk us an opposition player if he has just taken apart your team?

Christie came on in the 60th minute or so when we were already 2 - 0 down having had our arses felt for the previous hour. For Hughes to come out and wax lyrical over Celtic and being "thrilled to see Ryan come on for Celtic" and taking "great pride in seeing him wear the hoops" is not something most ICT fans particularly enjoyed reading about considering our performance in that game. 

Christie came on in the 60th minute or so when we were already 2 - 0 down having had our arses felt for the previous hour. For Hughes to come out and wax lyrical over Celtic and being "thrilled to see Ryan come on for Celtic" and taking "great pride in seeing him wear the hoops" is not something most ICT fans particularly enjoyed reading about considering our performance in that game. 

I am guessing it is the inverness connection. Did he manage christie at ICT?

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

I am guessing it is the inverness connection. Did he manage christie at ICT?

Yes he did. One thing from his time at ICT that cannot be argued over is that Hughes made pretty much every single player in that squad a better footballer. Gary Warren turned into something resembling a ball playing CB, Ross Draper became a more skilful midfielder, Marley Watkins became an all round forward player and Ryan Christie may well not have developed into the player he is now without Hughes. Yogi himself said, IIRC, that in one of his first training sessions he couldn't believe that Christie wasn't in the first team.

It's a few months old now but there is a podcast with Hughes and some ICT fans that looks into his time at the club in more depth. Worth a listen.

https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/yogi-bears-all/

I'm really interested to see how he gets on, I think he's a better manager than he is given credit for by your average football fan. He has achieved some really good things as a manager and equally had some poor spells, but any experienced manager at this level will have that, if they didn't they'd be managing at the top of the Premier League. Even the best managers will have periods of failure on their CV, often these are important for a manager to develop and improve. I'd rather have that than promote an Under 20s manager or senior pro with nothing but a coaching badge. I would assume football management is like every other profession in that you'll make mistakes and it is these mistakes that give you the experience to improve and get better. Even first time appointments who eventually do well like Gerrard usually go through a large learning period where they make mistakes. Given the situation Ross County are in they can't afford that.

I always find it strange how in football management appointing someone who has no managerial experience is applauded and an 'exciting appointment', whereas appointing someone who actually has experience of doing that particular job is roundly mocked. In no other walk of life would having no managerial experience seemingly put you in a better position to get a management position. I have no idea who the candidates for the County job were but certainly from the names suggested I think Hughes looked the best fit. Just like players, I think certain managers can fit, or not fit, a certain club. He may turn out to be a disaster, but very interested to see how he does.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

10 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Aye, fck you Ric! This is all your fault.emoji23.png

All part of my plan!

As I knew Goodwin was going to get a tune out of my team, creating enough of a gap for this plan to work, I kicked off this thread knowing the fickle Gods of Football will hear my call and bestow enough points to County for them to reel in those just above them.

97d.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2020 at 10:01, Mr. Alli said:

A good appointment. Piles the pressure on the teams around County to pull the trigger themselves or face being left behind. 

On 31/12/2020 at 07:26, Mr. Alli said:

Clever GIF by memecandy

Certain top flight managers are now a loss away from the sack. 

200.gif

On 21/12/2020 at 09:31, Ric said:

Heard the news..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55394424

...thought it only right that fans, other than Ross County of course, are given a thread to demonstrate their joy at seeing him appointed to the job.

I bet you feel like a div now haha, Yogi working his magic again. You should probably head to the Raith page with your anti-yogi chat. Their thread gives everyone a good laugh as it is, but getting the wee team going over Yogi is great entertainment. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2020 at 09:31, Ric said:

Heard the news..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55394424

...thought it only right that fans, other than Ross County of course, are given a thread to demonstrate their joy at seeing him appointed to the job.

You must regret making this thread more and more, you really don't have a clue haha