Alloa v Raith

Not confident about this at all.

Twice in the last couple of weeks, I’ve bet against Alloa when they’re at home and twice they’ve mad me look daft. Against Hearts and then again yesterday.

I’d take a draw tbh.

Hopefully Ugwu gets some game time instead of Lokotsch later on as we’ve yet to see him.

I think I've been at pretty much every game we have played at Alloa over the past 15 years or so, and Im really struggling to remember a time where I've thought we've played well. That and Alloa starting to find a bit of form means on paper a draw is a perfectly fine result. 

Difficult not to look at our fixture list in Jan and not think that we need a win here, however. 

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think I've been at pretty much every game we have played at Alloa over the past 15 years or so, and Im really struggling to remember a time where I've thought we've played well. That and Alloa starting to find a bit of form means on paper a draw is a perfectly fine result. 

Difficult not to look at our fixture list in Jan and not think that we need a win here, however. 

Not many Rovers fans can be confident of a win at Alloa.

Looking at our fixtures I thought our next best chance of a win was QoS at home on the 29th December.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

December 2006 - 2-1 Rovers. McGlynn’s second game in charge and a Hjalmar Thorarinsson winner. This one has 1-0 Alloa all over it though, I’m afraid to say.

Edited by Enigma

December 2006 - 2-1 Rovers. McGlynn’s second game in charge and a Hjalmar Thorarinsson winner. This one has 1-0 Alloa all over it though, I’m afraid to say.

Great memories of running down the old ash terracing after he scored that goal, an absolute peach. Alloa is the away ground I’ve been to most often but other than that I can barely think of another game I’ve enjoyed there, and you’d be hard pushed to call anything other than another drab affair on Saturday.

13 hours ago, Enigma said:

I think we beat them again there that season (last day, maybe?) Seem to recall it being 3-2, Paul McManus Brace for us, Robert Sloan with a couple for them. Since then I think we've maybe won once there? Grant Murray's world beaters to no wins in 21 season. Callum Booth free kick.

Basically, we always play fucking shite there. They obviously had our number in the last few games we played back in the Barry "Black hole" Smith days. We are 3 games now without a win, and really needing to get 3 points here.

1-0 Alloa, natch.

Edited by renton

35 minutes ago, renton said:

I think we beat them again there that season (last day, maybe?) Seem to recall it being 3-2, Paul McManus Brace for us, Robert Sloan with a couple for them. Since then I think we've maybe won once there? Grant Murray's world beaters to no wins in 21 season. Callum Booth free kick.

Basically, we always play fucking shite there. They obviously had our number in the last few games we played back in the Barry "Black hole" Smith days. We are 3 games now without a win, and really needing to get 3 points here.

1-0 Alloa, natch.

We also got a 1-0 win there under Ray McKinnon. Grant Anderson off the bench with the winner.

Wins have been few and far between at the Recs but we have probably had more draws than defeats there in recent times.

Alloa have beaten Inverness and Hearts at home in recent weeks and given Hibs a big scare so this will clearly be a very tough game. A draw wouldn’t be the worst result in the world but I have said that most weeks recently and we need to get a few more wins on the board.

For all we have had an excellent start and playing some very good football, if we lose this, we are only 2 points ahead of Alloa which piles the pressure on to the home game against Queen of the South ahead of a very tough looking January.

Hard to put the finger on exactly why we have stopped creating and converting as many chances from open play in recent weeks other than just playing better teams. Inverness and second half at Cowden aside we have still been playing quite well. Would like to see Tait and Ross chip in with more goals. They are both excellent prospects but if they are to go to the top level they need to add a consistent goal threat to their game.

By all accounts Alloa like to get the ball down and play decent football like ourselves so it will hopefully be an open game. I will go for a 1-1 draw, Buchanan will probably score. How has Scougall been for Alloa so far? That looked an excellent signing, he impressed me at Livingston.

The games between the sides at the Recs are always absolutely dreadful and very low-scoring. I see no reason for this to be different, especially given the way we’ve struggled to create chances in recent weeks.

Discounting the dizzy heights of a 2-0 win for Alloa in the play-off semi under Barry Smith, the results at the Recs going back to 2014 are:

0-0, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, 0-0, 0-1, 0-1, 1-0

I fear 1-0 Alloa.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

We’ve not had a home game on Boxing Day since 1994.

When was the last away game on Boxing Day? Was it that 2-1 defeat at Berwick Rangers in 2007?

I remember going to the Berwick game on Boxing day - and also remember going to Firhill around that time. Not sure in which order!

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I remember going to the Berwick game on Boxing day - and also remember going to Firhill around that time. Not sure in which order!

0-0. 2010, so a few years after the Berwick game. Wasn’t exactly “Firhill for thrills” that afternoon.

Edited by Enigma

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

Miss the trip to Alloa,before this virus was around we used to head through early and go to the Wetherspoon's in Alloa for a few beers and lunch. Don't see it happening this season unfortunately. Still all being well we will be there in season 21/22.

I think Alloa and Wetherspoons are about the only two things I’m not missing because of the pandemic. 

23 hours ago, Paco said:

The games between the sides at the Recs are always absolutely dreadful and very low-scoring. I see no reason for this to be different, especially given the way we’ve struggled to create chances in recent weeks.

Discounting the dizzy heights of a 2-0 win for Alloa in the play-off semi under Barry Smith, the results at the Recs going back to 2014 are:

0-0, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, 0-0, 0-1, 0-1, 1-0

I fear 1-0 Alloa.

That's actually not as bad a record as I imagined. 

We've also had a couple of shockers there in the Scottish Cup in McGlynn's first spell.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's actually not as bad a record as I imagined. 

We've also had a couple of shockers there in the Scottish Cup in McGlynn's first spell.

The 1-0 losses tend to be pretty brutal though. Usually the kind of games where once we go behind your as well sacking it as we will fail to register a decent shot on goal all game. Generally just a miserable experience.

Having said that it's a decent trip from Edinburgh and some ok pubs to hang out in.