Rest of the league XI

Now that the first round of fixtures are done I thought it would be interesting topic to see how you have viewed your opposition. No rules to as to how many players you can pick from the one team. 

Joshua Rae - Peterhead

Ryan Williamson- Partick

Sean Crighton - Airdrie

Tom Lang - Clyde

Kyle Macdonald - Airdrie

Lyall Cameron - Peterhead

Florent Hoti - Forfar

Scott Brown - Peterhead

Joe Cardle - Partick

Kyle Connell - Airdrie

David Goodwillie - Clyde

Edited by FFC 1876

Purely based on the performances against us so far this season:

Chris Smith (Dumbarton)

Scott Mercer (Falkirk)
Ryan Strachan (Cove Rangers)
Kerr Waddell (Montrose)
Rico Quitongo (Dumbarton)

Blair Spittal (Patrick Thistle)
Nat Wedderburn (Dumbarton)
Fraser Fyvie (Cove Rangers)
Morgaro Gomis (Falkirk)

Russell McLean (Montrose)
Brian Graham (Patrick Thistle)

12 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Purely based on the performances against us so far this season:

Chris Smith (Dumbarton)

Scott Mercer (Falkirk)
Ryan Strachan (Cove Rangers)
Kerr Waddell (Montrose)
Rico Quitongo (Dumbarton)

Blair Spittal (Patrick Thistle)
Nat Wedderburn (Dumbarton)
Fraser Fyvie (Cove Rangers)
Morgaro Gomis (Falkirk)

Russell McLean (Montrose)
Brian Graham (Patrick Thistle)

That did make me laugh to think of him as the best keeper in the league, but you're absolutely right about him being excellent that day!

GK. PJ Morrison (Falkirk) - Most goalkeepers have had very little to do against us, but PJ Morrison made a terrific save from Denny Johnstone at the Rock a few weeks ago - and has always looked a very safe pair of hands. I remember being hugely impressed by him in a terrible Albion Rovers side a few years ago, so I'm pleased to see him doing well at a higher level.

RB. Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) - Sons fans know how good he is, but he really was absolutely outstanding on Saturday. His deliveries caused us no end of problems and he buzzed up and down the line all day. I miss him.

CB. Ben Hall (Falkirk) - We've played Falkirk twice this season and big Ben Hall hasn't broken out in a sweat in either game. Totally cruised it. As most defenders have against us to be fair.

CB. Paul Dixon (Falkirk) Swap the words Ben Hall for Paul Dixon above.

LB. Andrew Steeves (Montrose) - Is Andrew Steeves the most underrated player in the lower leagues? I really think he is. He sums up Montrose, not a big name that everyone has heard of - but absolutely tremendous most of the time when you watch him live. He's solid defensively and a real threat going forward. I've been raving about him for years but still no club will come in and offer him megabucks to stop him starring against Dumbarton.

RM. Calumn Morrison (Falkirk) - Has looked like the complete player at this level both times he's played against us. Strong, skilful, clinical, solid defensively, hardworking, has a wee nasty streak, rapid. As anyone who has watched our games with Falkirk will know, I don't stop raving about him. I think he's fantastic.

CM. Morgaro Gomis (Falkirk) - You can tell that Falkirk have pumped us twice, can't you? Anyway wee Morgaro Gomis is a heck of a player this level and has really impressed me. Strikes me as an absolute model pro too.

CM. Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) - The other one. Scored two tremendous goals against us at the weekend, was tenacious in the tackle and totally ran the midfield. We just couldn't live with him. I didn't notice him much for Montrose last season, but he looked a class act on Saturday. Reminded me a lot of Kyle Turner when he was with Stranraer, and he's a player I've always admired.

LW. Kevin Smith (East Fife) - Clocked up two assists out wide against us earlier in the season and played the sort of wide striker/midfielder role really well. It's a shame things didn't work out for him at Dumbarton because he's been a cracking servant for East Fife for yonks now.

ST. Russell McLean (Montrose) - We always seem to have a tough time against big Rusty McLean. He looked a handful against us for Forfar Athletic when he knocked Morgyn Neill's false teeth out last season, and was a serious handful at the weekend. He's one of the players I dread seeing in an opposition starting lineup. Almost Lyndon Dykes-esque in the way he ragdolled our defence on Saturday - and that's the highest praise I can give someone.

ST. Jack Hamilton (East Fife) - Eight goals in 12 games speaks for itself, but Jack Hamilton was another who gave our defence a really tough time and looks to be making the most out of this opportunity after an unproductive spell with Queen of the South. I don't really understand why he doesn't get more plaudits either. He looked really decent as a targetman - but has also added goals to his games. His header against us was a lovely finish.

On 21/12/2020 at 08:22, Jan Vojáček said:

GK. PJ Morrison (Falkirk) - Most goalkeepers have had very little to do against us, but PJ Morrison made a terrific save from Denny Johnstone at the Rock a few weeks ago - and has always looked a very safe pair of hands. I remember being hugely impressed by him in a terrible Albion Rovers side a few years ago, so I'm pleased to see him doing well at a higher level.

RB. Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) - Sons fans know how good he is, but he really was absolutely outstanding on Saturday. His deliveries caused us no end of problems and he buzzed up and down the line all day. I miss him.

CB. Ben Hall (Falkirk) - We've played Falkirk twice this season and big Ben Hall hasn't broken out in a sweat in either game. Totally cruised it. As most defenders have against us to be fair.

CB. Paul Dixon (Falkirk) Swap the words Ben Hall for Paul Dixon above.

LB. Andrew Steeves (Montrose) - Is Andrew Steeves the most underrated player in the lower leagues? I really think he is. He sums up Montrose, not a big name that everyone has heard of - but absolutely tremendous most of the time when you watch him live. He's solid defensively and a real threat going forward. I've been raving about him for years but still no club will come in and offer him megabucks to stop him starring against Dumbarton.

RM. Calumn Morrison (Falkirk) - Has looked like the complete player at this level both times he's played against us. Strong, skilful, clinical, solid defensively, hardworking, has a wee nasty streak, rapid. As anyone who has watched our games with Falkirk will know, I don't stop raving about him. I think he's fantastic.

CM. Morgaro Gomis (Falkirk) - You can tell that Falkirk have pumped us twice, can't you? Anyway wee Morgaro Gomis is a heck of a player this level and has really impressed me. Strikes me as an absolute model pro too.

CM. Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) - The other one. Scored two tremendous goals against us at the weekend, was tenacious in the tackle and totally ran the midfield. We just couldn't live with him. I didn't notice him much for Montrose last season, but he looked a class act on Saturday. Reminded me a lot of Kyle Turner when he was with Stranraer, and he's a player I've always admired.

LW. Kevin Smith (East Fife) - Clocked up two assists out wide against us earlier in the season and played the sort of wide striker/midfielder role really well. It's a shame things didn't work out for him at Dumbarton because he's been a cracking servant for East Fife for yonks now.

ST. Russell McLean (Montrose) - We always seem to have a tough time against big Rusty McLean. He looked a handful against us for Forfar Athletic when he knocked Morgyn Neill's false teeth out last season, and was a serious handful at the weekend. He's one of the players I dread seeing in an opposition starting lineup. Almost Lyndon Dykes-esque in the way he ragdolled our defence on Saturday - and that's the highest praise I can give someone.

ST. Jack Hamilton (East Fife) - Eight goals in 12 games speaks for itself, but Jack Hamilton was another who gave our defence a really tough time and looks to be making the most out of this opportunity after an unproductive spell with Queen of the South. I don't really understand why he doesn't get more plaudits either. He looked really decent as a targetman - but has also added goals to his games. His header against us was a lovely finish.

You are right about Andrew Steeves.

How did Cammy Ballantyne get on when he was at Dumbarton? I was pleased to see him back at the Mo.

Im also happy to see Cammy F Ballantyne back with us.

5 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

You are right about Andrew Steeves.

How did Cammy Ballantyne get on when he was at Dumbarton? I was pleased to see him back at the Mo.

Im also happy to see Cammy F Ballantyne back with us.

He had a slow start with injuries and being a member of a side that Stevie Aitken just could not get a tune out of, but he settled in to become one of the best players we had that season. Even if Duffy played him at left-back which somewhat nullified his attacking threat.

I was surprised he went back to the Mo. I thought he'd be a stick on for a move to a full-time club, but it says a lot about Petrie and the club generally that he went back when I'd imagine he would've had at least a few full-time options.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He had a slow start with injuries and being a member of a side that Stevie Aitken just could not get a tune out of, but he settled in to become one of the best players we had that season. Even if Duffy played him at left-back which somewhat nullified his attacking threat.

I was surprised he went back to the Mo. I thought he'd be a stick on for a move to a full-time club, but it says a lot about Petrie and the club generally that he went back when I'd imagine he would've had at least a few full-time options.

I see it at my work often enough, there are managers who are big shots and the sycophantic worms love them, and there are managers who are genuinely interested in their employees who then get a very motivated team. That’s not a slant to Duffy, because I don’t know him, but it is a nod to SP & the Mo directors.  
I’m lucky enough to work for a manager that asks about the wife and kids and how they are coping with the pandemic etc.
I seen Cammy in a quiz that the Mo was presenting on their website for all the players during the first lockdown and he comes across as being a really fine person.

GK - Chris Smith (Dumbarton) 

RB - Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) 

CH - Ryan McGeever (Dumbarton) 

CH - Kerr Waddell (Montrose) 

LB - Andrew Steeves (Montrose) 

RM - Ryan Wallace (East Fife) 

CM - Morgaro Gomis (Falkirk) 

CM - Fraser Fyvie (Cove Rangers) 

LM - Jamie Masson (Cove Rangers) 

ST - Jack Hamilton - (East Fife) 

ST - Brian Graham (Partick Thistle) 

Honourable mentions to Harry Milne (Cove Rangers), Robbie Mutch (Falkirk) and Ross Docherty (Partick Thistle). Dishonourable mention to Jaime Wilson (Dumbarton) for how he spells Jamie. 

28 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Says a lot about Chris Smith's season so far that he's beating David Mitchell, Mark McCallum and Max Currie into these teams.

He had one outstanding game against Airdrie, which he finished injured and we haven't seen him since. It's only Airdrie fans putting him in but he's not even the best keeper at Dumbarton never mind the league.