Hearts V Ayr United Football Club

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Jesus christ you're trying too hard here. I know the goings on of last season really took it out of you lads - but this post is embarrassing.

Despite having a huge budget in the top league you were horrific, and it's hard to argue that relegation wasn't the correct decision (considering the situation).

You also lost to alloa ffs. Get a grip of yourself, son.

Just having a wee joke no need to cry about it.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I didn't know that but was just about to post that we absolutely shouldn't be spending that money on signings. The money is to keep the club going, which is far more important than our current defensive woes (as bad as they are).

The negativity from a section of the support will return because we've been shite again, and it's getting harder to defend the way the team are playing this season. Even when we were getting results there were issues, and in the last couple of weeks it's just turned to shit.

That still doesn't mean we should be thinking about getting rid of kerr. He's a young manager and deserves a decent shot. It's been a year like no other and we need to just consolidate our position in this league, and keep paying the bills. Short term thinking would be insane at this time.

The only thing that would make the manager's position untenable would be slipping into a relegation fight. That's still a fair bit off at the moment but the ship needs steadied.

Completely agree he deserves time, but to be honest I’m starting to lose any hope I had that he can turn it around.

We don’t seem to have anyone in the squad who will take responsibility. We lost a lot of our influential players in the summer, and I can’t say Kerr seems the type to rile the players up in their absence.

I suppose we're a dilemma for teams a bit like Celtic have been in the league above us.  Our defence is obviously miles worse than the rest of the team, but opening up to have a go carries the risk of getting a bit of a skelping, so teams try to keep it tight and nick a goal on the break.  Once games open up our forward options are miles too good for this level

Fun though Berra's attacking was, him and Halkett is a defensive shambles.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

And the season before I watched us actually demolish Dundee United 5-1 away and then limp to an insipid 4th place finish under McCall, losing to Auchinleck to boot. I see no evidence from you as to why last year (after 6 games) would have been any different. McCall had a plan A and no plan B, when the pitches started to get heavy and cut up in winter we were dreadful. You're saying that Kerr inherited a top team (after 6 games) and destroyed it is clearly drivel. I expect it was more to do with the cut up pitches as it was the previous season.

However, in your alternative reality Ayr must have won the league and been a Premier league team right now. I can see why you're so angry at Kerr! 🤣

The f*** are you on about?  I was never McCall’s biggest fan (he was an odd character to say the least), but he gradually built us up into a top 4 championship club, which we hadn’t been in years.  He left us with s solid group of players who were as good as anyone in the league - our Achilles heel was a lack of squad depth.  Since Kerr took over we’ve basically fallen apart and it’s not for the want of funding from the board.  
At what point do we accept that these one off performances aren’t actually one offs and are part of a pattern thats been developing since Kerr took over?  No resilience, no shape, no leadership, no belief.

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The f*** are you on about?  I was never McCall’s biggest fan (he was an odd character to say the least), but he gradually built us up into a top 4 championship club, which we hadn’t been in years.  He left us with s solid group of players who were as good as anyone in the league - our Achilles heel was a lack of squad depth.  Since Kerr took over we’ve basically fallen apart and it’s not for the want of funding from the board.  
At what point do we accept that these one off performances aren’t actually one offs and are part of a pattern thats been developing since Kerr took over?  No resilience, no shape, no leadership, no belief.

I could ask you the same thing. You're hero worshiping last seasons team after 6 league games. Come on? Seriously?

Also, for the record we finished 4th last season. Under Mark Kerr.

McCall gets credit for establishing us as a Championship team no doubt. With significant backing from the board, backing that has continued with Kerr.

9 games into the league season is not the time to dispense with the manager imo. I've seen enough to believe this squad can do much better. The manager should get the chance to demonstrate that. 

23 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I suppose we're a dilemma for teams a bit like Celtic have been in the league above us.  Our defence is obviously miles worse than the rest of the team, but opening up to have a go carries the risk of getting a bit of a skelping, so teams try to keep it tight and nick a goal on the break.  Once games open up our forward options are miles too good for this level

Fun though Berra's attacking was, him and Halkett is a defensive shambles.

Berra's attacking was one of the positives. Kept Captain Calamity from our own goal and actually created our equaliser.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

To nip this pish in the bud, Kerr inherited a team that had been top of the league and playing some of the best football in the league.  Within 3 months, he’d reduced us to a rudderless mess scrapping for the occasional 1-0 win with the same group of players which he had the opportunity to strengthen in January.  It’s clear that the board have backed him with the funds to bring a decent standard of player to the club, so he hasn’t got that as an excuse.  If people want to continue to back Kerr, so be it, but back room changes are needed urgently.

If McCall has stayed last season we would have finished higher up no doubt. Kerr blunted our attacking threat but he did manage to shore up a defence and eek out games. McCall could never keep a clean sheet and we relied on outscoring the opposition. 

Kerr being given the job was a gamble considering the high position we were in. Don’t mind giving the right person a punt but at the very least an experienced sidekick should have been brought in. Kerr clearly appointed his mate who has an Ian Cathro type background and his studying of cool ideas hides obvious lack of football experience. Not saying time is up but Kerr needs to show some improvement quickly and give some hooe that it will come good in time 

Edited by AyrExile

6 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

If McCall has stayed last season we would have finished higher up no doubt. Kerr blunted our attacking threat but he did manage to shore up a defence and eek out games. McCall could never keep a clean sheet and we relied on outscoring the opposition. 

Kerr being given the job was a gamble considering the high position we were in. Don’t mind giving the right person a punt but at the very least an experienced sidekick should have been brought in. Kerr clearly appointed his mate who has an Ian Cathro type background and his studying of cool ideas hides obvious lack of football experience. Not saying time is up but Kerr needs to show some improvement quickly and give some hooe that it will come good in time 

That’s pretty much my view.  There is zero chance of Kerr being sacked - we’ve made our bed in that regard.  But changes to the back room staff are clearly needed.  An Iain Munro type would surely get us fitter, better organised and hopefully a bit more motivated.  Sad thing is, Mark Roberts admitted that his biggest mistake in his first season (from which he never recovered), was surrounding himself with his mates who duly let him down.  Feels like Kerr has made the same mistake with McCardle.

A certain sense of anticlimax was inevitable following last weeks high drama.

We seemed to be stuck in second gear for most of the game until we were 2-1 down

The way we then smoothly accelerated out of trouble was heartening though. It’s precisely the kind of recovery that the 2019 side wouldn’t have managed

27 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

People "in the know" have nothing but good things to say about Mick McArdle and he's apparently very well regarded within coaching circles and his work ethic and tireless researching are second to none from what I've heard.

Things might not be fantastic at the moment but I think many forget that we lost Forrest, Harvie, Kelly, Bell, Doohan, Drinan and Docherty from last seasons side plus Kerr himself has more or less retired and Moore injured for the season, over and above this our key signing (Walsh) has played less than 30 mins of league football so all in all it's been far from a smooth transition for Kerr !!!

That said, I'm not overjoyed about our playing style either but believe Kerr and McArdle deserve a fair crack of the whip.

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
31 minutes ago, Caledonian said:
According to Robbie Neilson, McCowan's goal was sloppy. That leads me to believe that Neilson is an idiot. 

Hes a shite manager given a blank chequebook three times.

He never had a blank chequebook the first time at Hearts at all, he had the 3rd highest budget in the league.