Queen of the South v Dundee FC (26/12/2020)

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^^ appears not to understand the meaning of the phrase 'bogey team' 😋

I think there's a bit of a Mandela effect going on when it comes to us and Queen of the South.

It's possibly fuelled by your (relatively) recent Cup results against us, because those are the games that tend to stick in the memory.

50 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think there's a bit of a Mandela effect going on when it comes to us and Queen of the South.

It's possibly fuelled by your (relatively) recent Cup results against us, because those are the games that tend to stick in the memory.

I had to look up Mandela Effect to be fair but having done so I agree.

I'd accept in Cup terms we probably are a bogey team to Dundee. There's no doubt that Dundee are a far bigger club than Queen of the South. Notwithstanding this we've met three times in the last 13 years in the Scottish Cup, two of them you were drawn at home in and we've won them all. All in fairly bizarre circumstances and all of which you really were favourites for.

2019 - We were a division below albeit Dykes, Dobbie and Todd were on fire at the time and you were bottom of the Premier. You borderline stole a 1-1 draw at Dens and then Dobbie's hat trick beat you at Palmerston with one o/s goal from distance and two seized on short back passes!

2008 - The Cup Q-F when you contrived to make about 60% of your first choice eleven unavailable through being cup tied, suspended or falling through glass tables! We won 2-0. It had the 84 yard goal.

2007 - We were poor that season but were finding some form after Xmas. Snuck a 1-1 draw at Dens and then should have won the replay as we led three times but it went to penalties where BJ Corr had the 10 mins of his career and saved two to win it before going tonto at our own fans who had been criticising him all season and having to be dragged away. Don't think he played for us again.

Although we've lost three League Cup ties at Dens between 1988 and 2002, we also had a couple of wins at Palmerston in the League Cup too if you go back far enough including the infamous 6-0 where Gordon Strachan claimed before the game he didn't even know where Dumfries was!

Basically you pretty much always find bizarre ways to lose cup ties at Palmerston. The only time you've ever won a cup tie at Palmerston was a Dryburgh Cup tie in 1974!

In league games though there really isn't any bogey effect happening.

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd accept in Cup terms we probably are a bogey team to Dundee. There's no doubt that Dundee are a far bigger club than Queen of the South. Notwithstanding this we've met three times in the last 13 years in the Scottish Cup, two of them you were drawn at home in and we've won them all. All in fairly bizarre circumstances and all of which you really were favourites for.

2019 - We were a division below albeit Dykes, Dobbie and Todd were on fire at the time and you were bottom of the Premier. You borderline stole a 1-1 draw at Dens and then Dobbie's hat trick beat you at Palmerston with one o/s goal from distance and two seized on short back passes!

2008 - The Cup Q-F when you contrived to make about 60% of your first choice eleven unavailable through being cup tied, suspended or falling through glass tables! We won 2-0. It had the 84 yard goal.

2007 - We were poor that season but were finding some form after Xmas. Snuck a 1-1 draw at Dens and then should have won the replay as we led three times but it went to penalties where BJ Corr had the 10 mins of his career and saved two to win it before going tonto at our own fans who had been criticising him all season and having to be dragged away. Don't think he played for us again.

Although we've lost three League Cup ties at Dens between 1988 and 2002, we also had a couple of wins at Palmerston in the League Cup too if you go back far enough including the infamous 6-0 where Gordon Strachan claimed before the game he didn't even know where Dumfries was!

Basically you pretty much always find bizarre ways to lose cup ties at Palmerston. The only time you've ever won a cup tie at Palmerston was a Dryburgh Cup tie in 1974!

All I learned from that post (other than revisiting horrible memories) is the reason I thought Barry John Corr was a decent keeper despite being hated by QotS fans.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

All I learned from that post (other than revisiting horrible memories) is the reason I thought Barry John Corr was a decent keeper despite being hated by QotS fans.

Just had a wee Google of Barry John Corr there to see if anything came up about his spell at Queens. Alas it was a time before lower league football blogs and I couldn't find much. It does say something when his bio on the official site (archived here) was as follows:

His spell at Queens has been a bit of a disaster really. Whilst on joining us he was a highly rated 'keeper he has had some good and some bad moments and has swapped the jersey with Colin Scott a couple of times as Ian McCall decided upon his number 1 choice. It is now clear that Scooter is the No1 choice and that BJ is unlikely to feature for the first team in any other position than the bench.

Despite being told he cold leave during the January transfer window he produced an heroic display in the cup replay penalty shoot out with Dundee and remains a Queens player until the end of the season at least.

Also brought up the following irrelevant, but hilarious, photo of a mid-2000s haircut being rocked by Lewis Sloan:

06lsloan.jpg.ea8a9ffc18cf810de3a9d271e92db35c.jpg

😂

Barry John Corr is  just one example  in a list of players who looked good when playing against Queens but who didn't live up to the reputation when they signed for us.  He always seemed to have decent games against us when we played Stranraer.  Similarly Alan Martin when with Dumbarton,  didn't seem to show the same ability once he joined us,  or in very rare cases when he did. Both were players who you were glad to sign at the time but were even more glad to see the back of when they left. It's as if we have a knack of dragging apparently decent players down to a poorer level. 

I think the 1-1 game in 2007 was when the Dundee squad had been ravaged by a flu bug and Rae played himself as a lone striker.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I think the 1-1 game in 2007 was when the Dundee squad had been ravaged by a flu bug and Rae played himself as a lone striker.

He played wearimg 10 anyway. Not sure if that means anything. In terms of your team compared to week before its missing Gary Smith and Bryan Deasley only. 

That game was Stephen Dobbie's first for us. Half our team played in the Scottish Cup Final a year later!

20201221_201008.jpg

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He played wearimg 10 anyway. Not sure if that means anything. In terms of your team compared to week before its missing Gary Smith and Bryan Deasley only. 

That game was Stephen Dobbie's first for us. Half our team played in the Scottish Cup Final a year later!

20201221_201008.jpg

Pffft, Craig Forsyth on the bench, what was he thinking?

My memory for past players isn't brilliant but I can usually recognise a name when it pops up. But...Warren Moon???????????? Who the hell was he?????
Aussie boy in CM, sure he had a skinhead. Can't recall him being up to much.

Would still take him over our current CM's mind you.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aussie boy in CM, sure he had a skinhead. Can't recall him being up to much.

Would still take him over our current CM's mind you.

Similar to Dykes he was joint nationality. Think he was born in South of England somewhere but moved to Australia very young. No idea how he ended up with us. Dont know if there was some sort of connection to Stuart Lovell. 

Dont remember him having a skinhead, definitely not when he arrived. Played a handful of games, I'd guess 15 - 20 without checking but was never a certain pick. Did ok, but wasnt good enough to be a top end Championship player. 

He went back to Australia and James Baty ended up leaving us to link up with him there. Last I heard he was managing a team back in Australia.

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I have to say that I'm enjoying this trip down memory lane much more than any chat about the actual game ahead.

I seem to remember Warren Moon did ok, then picked up an ankle injury and was never seen again. I could have totally made that up though.

To be honest I cant remember anything about him on the field. I remember him being there, vaguely what he looked like, i know he played central midfield and made a few appearances, but I cannot recall a single thing of note in playing terms. I assume he didnt excel as he was never a certain pick.