The future of Scottish Amateur football

ralphpdk

The malaise in the amateur game is stark, understandably as there has been very little to talk about, with inactivity on P&B being a prime example.

As we come to the end of the year with Scottish amateur football almost completely shut down for nine months what’s the thoughts on the future of football at this level and what will it look like?

Games fecked imo. The generation who have been keeping it alive are coming to the end of their playing cycle and most will move Friday night 35s. Others will simply just stop. There will be clubs and leagues keep going but nothing like it has been the past few years.

My thoughts, amateurs won’t play for a long time yet. Summer seems to me probably the sensible bet It looks like we are heading for another lockdown in the new year probably till February
There was a bit of traction with some MSPs getting involved making a few comments about return of amateur football but reality is they were only paying lip service
The SFA have let the amateur game down really badly and I don’t see them or the government doing anything to change their tact
The concern will be how many teams won’t return when the game restarts

I’m not sure you can blame the SFA. They are reacting to governmental announcements and advice. Granted they have been silent on football outside elite level. They also can’t cancel professional football as it’s the call of the SPFL. Governments closing all facilities that amateurs use to play and train ties the hands of the teams. Juniors or former junior teams have their own facilities to use and by default are professional clubs due to the change in structure over the summer so it’s not a benchmark we can use at amateur level. I have to agree though that this pandemic will have far reaching and long lasting effects on the amateur game.

I’m not sure you can blame the SFA. They are reacting to governmental announcements and advice. Granted they have been silent on football outside elite level. They also can’t cancel professional football as it’s the call of the SPFL. Governments closing all facilities that amateurs use to play and train ties the hands of the teams. Juniors or former junior teams have their own facilities to use and by default are professional clubs due to the change in structure over the summer so it’s not a benchmark we can use at amateur level. I have to agree though that this pandemic will have far reaching and long lasting effects on the amateur game.

Been silent is putting it mildly.

Amateur football will continue. Some clubs may go but most players will move to other clubs.

Some of the 'bigger' amateur clubs may go to the mainly kid on professional WoSFL but I cannot see the ammy game dying. Probably more chance that some pro teams revert to amateur status.

I agree that we've been let down to allow pro game to play. Generally they do no more or less than amateurs in terms of safety. They use public parks for training. They travel outwith their local areas. 

Don't want them stopped. Just want parity

Edited by justagoalie
Word choice

IMO it should switch to a summer season. I think it would be much more enjoyable for all involved and actually allow players to get to a professional game at some points of the season.

edit: just seen there’s an actual topic on this 😂

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

On 19/12/2020 at 14:19, Gazzah said:

Games fecked imo. The generation who have been keeping it alive are coming to the end of their playing cycle and most will move Friday night 35s. Others will simply just stop. There will be clubs and leagues keep going but nothing like it has been the past few years.

My thoughts exactly above, im now in that bracket myself 35+ and have been playing Ams since leaving U21's. Just not the young lads coming through now and looking to play Ams or indeed have the commitment to stick it out.

• 2 weeks later...

As a possible positive out of this horrible situation. If there is a significant reduction in the number of teams (almost inevitable sadly), could we finally get the regional super leagues that have mooted for many years? I know the same barriers of committees agreeing to it remain but just maybe, this is the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of resistance and a recognition that for the amateur game it might be the best/only means of survival?

I don't think there is a chance of that. If anything I think they may try to reduce the traveling for the foreseeable rather than make ayrshire teams travel to Glasgow regularly ( for an example )

As a possible positive out of this horrible situation. If there is a significant reduction in the number of teams (almost inevitable sadly), could we finally get the regional super leagues that have mooted for many years? I know the same barriers of committees agreeing to it remain but just maybe, this is the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of resistance and a recognition that for the amateur game it might be the best/only means of survival?

Good luck amateurs, maybe a rejig of the leagues will help next season with possibly lesser teams still playing. Lost leagues (sat & sun) down here in Bristol, looks like a skeleton thing now. Think most players up to 35-40 will hope to keep playing in a full 21/22 season,just to return to a normality.

Good luck amateurs, maybe a rejig of the leagues will help next season with possibly lesser teams still playing. Lost leagues (sat & sun) down here in Bristol, looks like a skeleton thing now. Think most players up to 35-40 will hope to keep playing in a full 21/22 season,just to return to a normality.

I don't personally see the huge number of teams folding when we get back up and running, I hope not anyway. I think guys will be buzzing to get back into it. Financially its probably not cost clubs as they arent shelling out so shouldn't be too bad. Obviously no race nights etc could hit some clubs but overall I hope we get back to it for real in August. Or am I just an optimist?

Optimistic but hopefully next season will be almost back to normal, with the sponsors queueing up to help ! Best days of my life playing sat/sun wish I could turn back the clock 🕛 can remember in the 90's paying £3 subs, £300 for a season's fixtures (maybe 15+ games) , £10 to get the kit washed etc etc.