Journeyman Spots

Used to see the Shinnie brothers quite regularly in the Asda in Inverness, must've been 2012-13 as Andrew left for Birmingham that summer.  They were buying an unholy amount of apples on one particular occasion.

The Rangers nine in a row team were frequent visitors to Tobi Zaxx in Ayr in the mid/late nineties. I also remember seeing Kris Boyd, Allan McGregor and Alan Hutton in Chapman Billies in the town. They were quite drunk when I left so it came as no surprise when a few days later it emerged, in a paper,  they ended up in The Black Bull in Tarbolton getting their heads shaved.

Somewhat off topic as not a journeyman player but somehow memorable nonetheless. On holiday in South Spain. Walking into La Cala for a bite to eat and a few beers. Chatting to mate about football and the subject of the then SFA Chief Exec Jim Farry comes up sparking the usual adverse comments . Walked into restaurant about 10 minutes later and who’s in there but Farry. Spooky.

This was ages ago when I was a teenager (early ‘90s) but this is the one that comes to mind. It was a Saturday evening after the football, maybe about 6 or 7. I walked into Oscars pub in Kirkcaldy, just off the High Street. Sitting at the bar were Andy Rhodes (Jordan’s dad and Dunfermline’s ‘keeper) and Andy Goram (I think at the time he was Hibs ‘keeper). Bar was pretty empty and they were having a pint on the stools at the bar. I assume Hibs must have been at Dunfermline that day. 

I used to work for a Project that had arranged local community events. We asked both local teams for some players to come along to an event for publicity purposes, and Dundee sent Lee Wilkie & Jamie Langfield. The Dabs sent an anonymous midfielder who I can't remember the name of. Must have been about 99-2000. Possibly David McCraken, or someone like that...

Once played a poker game in a dodgy looking pub with a few mates. Davie Dodds (he owned the pub)  was also playing along with Charlie Miller. Barry Robson turned up near the end but didn’t participate.  Needless to say Charlie was all mouth but lost fairly quickly. He was pretty sound though.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Used to see the Shinnie brothers quite regularly in the Asda in Inverness, must've been 2012-13 as Andrew left for Birmingham that summer.  They were buying an unholy amount of apples on one particular occasion.

I met Billy McKay and his father in Love2Love a few times that must have been around the same time. It was definitely his father as he showed me his ID as I didn’t believe that they both had the same first name.

Just now, PB1994 said:

I met Billy McKay and his father in Love2Love a few times that must have been around the same time. It was definitely his father as he showed me his ID as I didn’t believe that they both had the same first name.

Aye he used to drink in the Auctioneers quite often, Billy Jr I mean.  Sometimes by himself.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye he used to drink in the Auctioneers quite often, Billy Jr I mean.  Sometimes by himself.

Not quite sure why I didn’t believe they could possibly have the same name but there you go.

There was a fair few of that team who were out on the pints every weekend.