Journeyman Spots

Looking for some obscure sightings of well-travelled Scottish football figures far and (quite often) wide. Have you seen Kris Doolan buying a meal deal from the pop-up Gregg's stand at Kinross services? Or perhaps you've sold a kitchen to Graeme Smith.
Fire at will.
I once sold a Twister wrap to Ian McCall when I worked at KFC. I offered him a free drink but he kindly declined.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:
Looking for some obscure sightings of well-travelled Scottish football figures far and (quite often) wide. Have you seen Kris Doolan buying a meal deal from the pop-up Gregg's stand at Kinross services? Or perhaps you've sold a kitchen to Graeme Smith.
Fire at will.

I once sold a Twister wrap to Ian McCall when I worked at KFC. I offered him a free drink but he kindly declined.

I met Ian McCall in a petrol station in Coatbridge. Opening day of the season and we had lost 3-0. He bought cigarettes, menthol ones.

I was sitting in front of John Rankin on a flight home from Ayia Napa once. He was with his wife and kids and they were far too loud considering me and my mates were still suffering from the week of drinking.

I’ve seen Kris Boyd kicking about Ayr loads and had a laugh with him a few days after we beat Killie in the Betfred Cup.

Still say the weirdest encounter I’ve had was Henrik Larsson in Furys in Ayr. I remember staring at him for a solid 5 minutes trying to work out if it was actually him or if someone had slipped something into my drink.

Weirdest I can think of was back around 2005, was in Club de Mar in Ayr and went for a pish with my mate. He was at Uni in Edinburgh at the time and was working part time in the ticket office at Hibs but was back at his mums for the weekend.   Went to the urinal and Scott Brown then of Hibs (could be wrong but think there was a few of them down for someones  birthday, Johnny Bailey maybe?) was there having a slash and turned and saw my pal next to him, obviously recognised him from Hibs and said "what the f**k are you doing here wee man?" and seemed genuinely mind blown at the fact that the wee guy from the ticket office was in a place other than the ticket office. 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Still say the weirdest encounter I’ve had was Henrik Larsson in Furys in Ayr. I remember staring at him for a solid 5 minutes trying to work out if it was actually him or if someone had slipped something into my drink.

Similarly, though I wasn't drinking that night so knew it wasn't the drink, walking into Oscars in Dumfries one Monday night after an away darts match to see Paul Gascoigne and Jimmy 'Five Bellies' sitting at a table having a pint. It was before he joined Rangers so seeing him in Scotland was a surprise. He was a Lazio player at the time.

Turned out he was up for a week's fishing and staying at the Nith Hotel just outside town. Oscars at the time had the same owner so he'd come into town for a pint. Touch surreal. Think I got an autograph, can't really remember, but didn't spend any time talking with him.

Many years ago I used to  travel from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh to meet mates and have a night out. I used to get the 6 o'clock Inter City from Kirkcaldy to Waverly,went to the buffet car and saw a face I knew it was Alan Gordon who was at Dundee United at the time as I got that train most weeks we became quite chatty and he always enquired on how the Rovers had done. This was probably in the early 1970's. Another time I met Silky and Jock McStay in the lounge at Glasgow airport. They were the management team at Albion Rovers at that time and were taking their youth team over to Ireland for some pre-season games.

I once saw Ryan McCord stroll through Waterstones in Princes Street with his family. His pace was the same as any time I've seen him on a football pitch. 

28 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

When walking back from Easter Road after the Ramsdens Cup final, saw Paul Mcmanus outside an Edinburgh pub. He noticed the Rovers scarves, stopped us, and asked if we had ever heard of Paul Mcmanus. 

Incredible that he left because of Willie Gray's bitter attempts to get one over us after signing his contract, and then we went on an upward trajectory for the next three seasons. He never made it back past league 1 level which is karma for walking out. 

I saw Brian Graham and John Baird in Prague on what appeared to be Brian Grahams stag weekend, there may have been other footballers on but those were the only 2 I recognized. They were all wearing stag do t-shirts with Ronaldinho on the front because apparently he looks like him. 

009__034__features__Brian_Graham__1313661748_standard.jpg.009b941d32bb9690d55d19c14c5c9d4e.jpg 3373-1515762355.jpg.220f84184681db1c0b93fbe1af5b87b2.jpg

I'll not go in to what they were up to when I saw them. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

Archie Gemmil promoting Whisky at a stand in the Govan Asda mid 2000's. He let me get a photo with him but only cause I happened to be wearing a Scotland top. Lost the photo on an old phone. He seemed decent enough, wee short arse right enough. 

I was working at the Heads of Ayr Farm Park when I was a student (probably 2012 or 2013), and Gary Teale and his family wanted a shot on the Quad and Barrel ride. I was a bit star struck, mumbled something about how I was a big Ayr fan, and still charged him the £1.20 each.

Spoke to Johnny Russell outside the dancing in Coatbridge a couple years ago, probably Christmas 2018. Both of us were absolutely pished. Can’t remember what was spoken about but can remember him laughing. Probably because I’m a massive vl.