I can’t believe they signed him

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Moneybags Dons getting Charlie Nicholas from Arsenal by offering more money. We'd have to sell Pittodrie to do similar nowadays. 

Beat me to it.

Also enjoyed the brief time folk actually believed we were going to sign Batistuta when someone hacked the official account on AFC chat (the official club forum - not the haven for nutcases.)

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lower key one but I was genuinely surprised we signed Graeme Shinnie.

I know he had personal circumstances that contributed to not going South but remember watching him against Celtic in the SC semi not believing he was about to come to us on a free.

He's an Aberdeen boy and, you know, money.  Made perfect sense.

Ross McCormack second time around. I know he'd had his issues so that's why he ended up back in ML1 but we were signing a striker with a very good record at a high level. 

However he turned out to be about 2 stone over weight, incredibly unfit and was last seen offering burds in Magaluf €20 to lick his arse. 

Chris Waddle at Falkirk always springs to my mind. 
I'm not sure if the point's ever been raised, but I always felt they might have prioritised signing him over making improvements to their stadium.
At least that didn't backfire.

Chopra at Alloa was a strange one for me but didn't realise how pish he was by then.

This season Queens Park signing Simon Murray was a head turner for me, would have thought a bottom 6 club would have taken a punt on him.

As for Celtic, signing both Keanes were certainly coups for us. Both I thought were brilliant for us. Roys legs were gone but would stroll games for us and raised training standards a notch or two, think he was only on 18 grand a week too despite rumours Desmond was forking out for him. Robbie was still in his prime really and his movement was light years ahead of anyone else in the team, would have scored even more goals if there was a creator on his level.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Ross McCormack second time around. I know he'd had his issues so that's why he ended up back in ML1 but we were signing a striker with a very good record at a high level. 

However he turned out to be about 2 stone over weight, incredibly unfit and was last seen offering burds in Magaluf €20 to lick his arse. 

Currently plying his trade with Craig Tanner at Aldershot.

ross-mcc.png

We clearly don't have any in the Sauzée or Cannigia bracket however when they were in their pomp if you'd said to me we'd sign any of these I'd have been...surprised.

_51156947_jeffers466b.jpg

EDTFkW1WwAAWyZZ?format=jpg&name=small

fAIUkDA8NaNpvjuRhwkqDlWefCSqVYf3j6iwb0Xm

In Goram's case it opens up a new sub-thread where "I can't believe they sold him..." to Manchester United.

Edited by capt_oats

There are some obvious ones for Aberdeen but most of them predate me becoming a fan.

So for me personally one would be signing Aluko on a permanent deal. He had spent the previous season on loan and had provided a spark and some entertainment to Calderwoods brand of efficient but incredibly dull football. After he left we didn't expect to see him back. When we did sign him I remember getting texts from friends full of excitement.

We never seemed to get the same Aluko back though. After his first season Calderwood was sacked and McGhee arrived. They fell out almost instantly over his call up to the U20 World Cup with Nigeria and he then spent the next two seasons sulking as McGhee went about wrecking the club.

On the opposite end of the scale in terms of reaction it would be when we resigned Derek Young in 2007. Again, another Calderwood signing. I seem to recall Derek and his brother wearing some offensive t-shirt aimed at Aberdeen after signing for Dunfermline so they hadn't left on the best of terms. After his release by Dunfermline there was a short spell at St Johnstone followed by a season at Partick. When he was released by Partick and resigned for us it caused the various Aberdeen forums to go into near meltdown. Out of the brother Derek was always viewed as the least talented of the Young brothers. He probably did better then many of us expected but it was a sign of the breakup of the squad that had reached the last 32 of the Europa League and those players being replaced by ones of a lesser quality and the bar being lowered over the next few seasons until McInnes arrived.

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

This season Queens Park signing Simon Murray was a head turner for me, would have thought a bottom 6 club would have taken a punt on him.

Aye for sure. There's a whole load of wild signings for that level but it's mainly down to Haughey's millions. I believe the plan is to be a recognised championship club in 5 years. 

His goal the other week against Stenhousemuir was a hilarious display of him playing against defences at that level:

In the summer of 1988, Sergei Baltacha played in the final of the Euros. St Johnstone had just completed a season in the lowest tier of Scottish football with a 2-0 victory over Albion Rovers at a run-down Muirton Park. 

24 months later Sergei signed for us before we started our Premier League campaign. And he was still capable of stunning football. Still can't quite believe how we got him.