Arbroath vs Ayr United

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I missed that game at Somerset.

However, that game in February should never have started. The wind was shocking. How the ref continued the game when Arbroath scored direct from a corner I'll never know. Or when our goal kicks routinely came back at us for a attacking throw in. 🤣

I still think that if McCall was in charge we would have probably had that game played to a finish and quite comfortably won it.  Got the impression Dick Campbell used his 'persona' to convince the ref it had to be off. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I missed that game at Somerset.

However, that game in February should never have started. The wind was shocking. How the ref continued the game when Arbroath scored direct from a corner I'll never know. Or when our goal kicks routinely came back at us for a attacking throw in. 🤣

See we scored from a corner at Somerset and the wind was that strong the ball would just kind of hover in the air before dropping directly down, both an absolute shambles at different locations.  

I loved that day out up at Arbroath, trains were an absolute disaster, left the house at 9 in the morning and got to Edinburgh at about 1 in the afternoon, enough time to grab a fresh carry out and a couple of drinks in Ryries trying to navigate about at watch At Pauli gubbing Hamburg on my phone and onto the train to Arbroath, got there at 5 to 3, match goes on and off at half time, wind had died down enough to sit and have a chippy outside by the time we walked along.  God tier away day. 

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I still think that if McCall was in charge we would have probably had that game played to a finish and quite comfortably won it.  Got the impression Dick Campbell used his 'persona' to convince the ref it had to be off. 

Maybe... I'm not so sure though. I agreed with it being called off just felt the decision should have been made earlier. 

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

See we scored from a corner at Somerset and the wind was that strong the ball would just kind of hover in the air before dropping directly down, both an absolute shambles at different locations.  

I loved that day out up at Arbroath, trains were an absolute disaster, left the house at 9 in the morning and got to Edinburgh at about 1 in the afternoon, enough time to grab a fresh carry out and a couple of drinks in Ryries trying to navigate about at watch At Pauli gubbing Hamburg on my phone and onto the train to Arbroath, got there at 5 to 3, match goes on and off at half time, wind had died down enough to sit and have a chippy outside by the time we walked along.  God tier away day. 

Yeah, I didn't have quite as enjoyable a day after driving for a couple of hours. I can imagine how it wouldn't be too bad if you were on the train though.

I do remember a farce of game against Dumbarton at Somerset due to the wind where Harvie scored against us and Steve got the equaliser for them.

Funnily enough for all the chat about weather I've been to Arbroath twice and we have won 3-0 each time in glorious sunshine.  And tomorrow I'll be streaming the game with the floodlights of Cappielow visible out the window.   What a time to be alive. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Maybe... I'm not so sure though. I agreed with it being called off just felt the decision should have been made earlier. 

Yeah, I didn't have quite as enjoyable a day after driving for a couple of hours. I can imagine how it wouldn't be too bad if you were on the train though.

I do remember a farce of game against Dumbarton at Somerset due to the wind where Harvie scored against us and Steve got the equaliser for them.

I wasnt there but think you are spot on that it should have been off and shouldn't have started.  I just remember at the time it seemed DC was more vocal about pressuring the ref to call it off when all of a sudden it was half time and Ayr had a draw and the wind advantage.  

That Dumbarton game was brutal - Xmas eve I think.    I think it was for the equaliser to make it 4 all we conceded a corner from quite far out and everyone behind the nets collectively groaned as it was so obvious Fleming was going to flap at an inswinger and concede

On 15/12/2020 at 14:17, 36-0 Maroon said:

I would run with this team if possible 

Gaston

JT Little TOB Hammy

Ruth Miko Swanks Whatley Linn

Mckenna

Enough energy and pace in that team to cause problems going forward with Whatley & Miko in particular providing more supportive cover for the back 4 🇱🇻⚽ A player with Swanks passing ability and creativeness could be key here in what will be another tight game 

I really like Gold but I think him Hilson and Doolan need a break and we need to freshen things up, If we are needing a goal you still have the likes of Smith & Donnelly as further attacking options with Craigen & Stewart options with Gold to give the midfield and defensive a boost if we are protecting a lead.

Would play Swankie wide, Mckenna as the advanced midfilder and Ruth up front. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Your Manager was the the one asking for the game to be stopped 🤦‍♂️😂

Your Manager was the the one asking for the game to be stopped 🤦‍♂️[emoji23]

He wasn’t

Dick Campbell literally said after the match that Kerr wanted it to continue but the ref overruled him. Campbell would of 100% known we’d have won in the second half and put pressure on Kirkland to get the game called off.

Arbroath is actually one of Scotland's sunniest towns, with above average levels of sunshine and is also one of the driest areas in Scotland.

Yes, Arbroath is a seaside town and Gayfield is situated next to the north sea, but the town gets less rain and more sunshine than most places in Scotland.

Gayfield can be a cold, brutal place to be standing during a cold winter's day with the north sea is full swing - but lots of grounds are cold during the winter months - it's the wind from the north sea which can at times make conditions really difficult.

Arbroath don't have a good record against Ayr so are due a win - on this basis going for a home won ( provided the strikers can take their chances and find their shooting boots).

7 hours ago, Hursty said:

That Dumbarton game was brutal - Xmas eve I think.    I think it was for the equaliser to make it 4 all we conceded a corner from quite far out and everyone behind the nets collectively groaned as it was so obvious Fleming was going to flap at an inswinger and concede

Yeah, it was so obvious. I stayed out on the North Terrace but it must have been brutal viewing from the Somerset Road End. Did Stevo not score the equaliser as well?

6 hours ago, Robertolichtie said:

Your Manager was the the one asking for the game to be stopped 🤦‍♂️😂

Where have you got that from? Here is what Dick Campbell said to the bbc:

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell said: "We definitely did benefit from the wind. We had 75% possession, scored a goal from a corner and Ayr defended really well.

"Their noses will be out of joint because they think they have the advantage in the second half. It was a bit of a lottery. Mark tried to get the game on but the referee overruled him."

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51512646

I would just like us to have a go here being positive with some shots on goal here.

I’d go with Luke donnelly up front and get the ball into his feet get the ball into his feet with wingers pushed right up and a proper supporting central midfielder.

Like most i’d rather have a go and get beat rather than endlessly knocking the ball about at the back & midfield and getting beat anyway.

Gutted I’m not in Arbroath today. A few drinks in a pub which name completely escapes me. It sells Hooch though @itzdrk may be able to furnish me with the details and then on to Tutties but hey ho a stream will have to do. Just hoping it isn’t as much of a nightmare as Alloas streams fortnight ago. Very relieved to see Arbroath have lunched the Pixelot system into the sea.

Teamwise were looking quite promising with Cammy Smith back from suspension and Tom Walsh back from injury/covid related issues. 

I’d go:

Sinisalo

Muirhead Roscoe Baird Houston

Murdoch Chalmers 

Smith Moffat Zanatta 

Anderson

Subs: Hare Reid, Reading, Hewitt, Miller, McCowan, Walsh, McKenzie, 

28 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Gutted I’m not in Arbroath today. A few drinks in a pub which name completely escapes me. It sells Hooch though @itzdrk may be able to furnish me with the details and then on to Tutties but hey ho a stream will have to do. Just hoping it isn’t as much of a nightmare as Alloas streams fortnight ago. Very relieved to see Arbroath have lunched the Pixelot system into the sea.

Teamwise were looking quite promising with Cammy Smith back from suspension and Tom Walsh back from injury/covid related issues. 

I’d go:

Sinisalo

Muirhead Roscoe Baird Houston

Murdoch Chalmers 

Smith Moffat Zanatta 

Anderson

Subs: Hare Reid, Reading, Hewitt, Miller, McCowan, Walsh, McKenzie, 

Westport up at the train station that is.  And not just any Hooch, Hula Hooch!