Arbroath vs Ayr United

Plenty of players below par today and we seemed to be lacking fight/belief, but the system isn't working:

- I'm not sure Anderson should be leading the line. We play the ball up to him, but it just doesn't stick, and doesn't give Moffat, McCowan etc. time to get alongside him.

- The three behind Anderson all want to play too narrow so we're lacking width most of the time and not stretching defences.

- The Chalmers/Murdoch combination isn't protecting the back four enough. It didn't cost us a goal today, but Arbroath made several other chances they didn't take.

I had thought the defence was improving over the past few weeks but mistakes today were punished. For the first, although Reading misjudged the ball at half way, Murdoch didn't track the man in to the box, but Baird should have attacked the cross rather than being beaten to it. For the second, we really shouldn't have allowed the shot. I'd need to see a replay to confirm, but it looked like it was Roscoe who should have been all over him.

Having said all that, congratulations to Arbroath. Tactics spot on and everyone looked up for it. Took their chances well and could have been more. Since the season we won the First Division I've been impressed with them. They really get the most out of what they've got, and I'd be fairly confident that they'll stay up again.

17 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Ayr manager blaming the wind. Hardly a breeze. Ayr are good but didn’t turn up and Arbroath did. Gie’s some credit, please.

We will on here if our clueless manager doesn't do it for us. 

Well done Arbroath, that's how you play football on these days to get the job done by rolling your sleeves up, not by playing a fucking rolls royce who coasts about midfield passing backwards all the time or having 4 flair player attackers on the same pitch.

Dick said he played 2 upfront for a change and this was one factor in why this was way better than last Saturday. Donnelly was immense in holding up and laying off the ball, Hilson lively, McKenna proactive and progressive plus 2 good finishes from Craigen. We should have won by more, too many abysmal finishes plus that stonewall late penalty. Great attitude and work rate throughout the team and we played most of the football. Ayr only showed glimpses of the side that have put us to the sword too many times at Gayfield in recent years.

Onwards and upwards

Absolutely fantastic, Every player in Maroon was superb in what was a well deserved victory, Could and should have perhaps been more comfortable with the chances we had but Ayr are a superb team and even at 2-0 down always in it with the quality they have, Massive win for us and hopefully we can now kick on.

You can see it in Craigen’s  interview,  I have no doubt that tremendous supporters wall has given the players and management a huge lift as the performance levels and the 🔥 in the belly’s were there to see and that was definitely more like us today, That was the best we have been this season and more like the Smokies of last season.

Donnelly for me was the difference maker, Always involved and linking up the play with McKenna & Craigen also superb, Tbh would hate to pick the Motm as like I said every player in a Maroon shirt deserved it, Merry Crimbo to all my fellow Red Lichties worldwide and thank you Santa for an early crimbo present, A much needed 3 points, Smokies & Wine, 36-0 🇱🇻❤️🎅🏻🍻🎄

29 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Dick said he played 2 upfront for a change and this was one factor in why this was way better than last Saturday. Donnelly was immense in holding up and laying off the ball, Hilson lively, McKenna proactive and progressive plus 2 good finishes from Craigen. We should have won by more, too many abysmal finishes plus that stonewall late penalty. Great attitude and work rate throughout the team and we played most of the football. Ayr only showed glimpses of the side that have put us to the sword too many times at Gayfield in recent years.

Onwards and upwards

No sure it was 2 up, all the time, but good performance, better tempo

A 5 star performance from Arbroath today.

Arbroath were easily the best team - an all round great team effort.

Ayr are a very good team, but Arbroath were determined to win and each Arbroath player was outstanding.

Great to be off the foot of the table and hopefully onwards and upwards.

Well done to all the players for putting in such a good shift.

1 hour ago, Ayr23 said:

In no way am I saying we've to bring back McCall, or hire Robertson. I was just putting it out there. At what point do we look for someone else? This league is going to be tight until well after New Year, but my main worry is the lack of motivation. For a while the players looked disinterested at 2-0 down, and the tactics in the first half were way off.

I am not in the Kerr gtf camp at all. Simply wondering what the boundary is between Kerr's doing alright, and Kerr needs to go.

Yes, I can't argue with that, we have been very poor at times this season and other than the nightmare at Cappielow haven't actually played very much good football either but having said that I think all the clubs in this league have much the same gripe at the moment including a major lack of consistency.

Maybe it's the absence of fans. maybe it's the curtailed season or lack of pre season ? who knows, but you're right giving 100% effort should be the bare minimum for any professional sportsman.

Just to add that despite our own failures, Arbroath were very good and thoroughly deserved their win.

Edited by WATTOO

I'm happy to have been proved wrong. The manager did make a change in the formation, Ayr didn't win and we scored a couple of goals.

With the change in formation and the midfield pushing forward we played more like a team than we have done recently. two good, well taken goals by Craigen and we were by far the better team in the first half. Ayr were much improved in the second half and were unlucky , hitting the post twice, but got a goal back near the end.

Some good performances throughout the team, Little and O'Brien hardly put a foot wrong, Hilson had probably his best game for us, McKenna was involved in everything and Craigen kept pushing forward. I'm not a fan of Donnelly but he had a good game and could have scored.

We should have had a penalty near the end  when Stewart was taken down in the box . Everybody in the ground (all 20 or so of them) saw it, apart from the officials. But a much needed win and a hugely improved performance from last week.

Best wishes for what will be a strange Christmas and New Year, to all at Gayfield, all Lichties where ever they may be and in fact to all the diehard football supporters in the land.

A great team performance. The back 5 were immense as always but we shouldn’t forget that. Ricky in particular cleared everything. McKenna was everywhere and his cross for the first goal was Robertson-esque. Gold put himself about and grew into the match. Miko provided great cover and I don’t blame him for having one ambitious shot. And two goal Craigen - wow! I’ll reserve special praise for the front two who made the difference. They were both excellent, although they both missed sitters. I thought Dick might have blown it with the 3 substitutions but they all played well and Stewart was on fire. What a great team performance. Same again please.